Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Aldi Update

Here is the promised update.

The chicken cost a fiver, has fed 3 people and the ferking dog. Nobody could
tell the difference between the Aldi chicken and the Marks & Sparks chicken.
The dog was not questioned.

The chocolate ice lolly things are the same as Cadburys; or so Mrs Pounder
has informed me.
The biscuits are indistinguishable from any other brand of biscuits.
The fruit juice is as good as any I have ever drank.
I was not too keen on the 4.5% lager. 4 cans for less than 3 quid. It was
too sweet for me.

More updates to follow as and when.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Here is the promised update.

The chicken cost a fiver, has fed 3 people and the ferking dog. Nobody
could tell the difference between the Aldi chicken and the Marks & Sparks
chicken. The dog was not questioned.

Supermarket chicken is the same wherever you buy it. All the taste is taken
out because it has been injected with water to bulk it out. To get anything
better you have to buy if from a source that doesn't do that (and good
luck!).

The chocolate ice lolly things are the same as Cadburys; or so Mrs Pounder
has informed me.

I bet they are not. I've never bought Aldi ones, but the ones that they
sell in Iceland (which seems to source some of its own brands from the same
supplier) are definitely inferior - though still acceptable

The biscuits are indistinguishable from any other brand of biscuits.

I buy "value" biccies in Tesco. 25p a pack against 1-1.50 for the bands.
And you can't tell the difference.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Here is the promised update.

The chicken cost a fiver, has fed 3 people and the ferking dog. Nobody
could tell the difference between the Aldi chicken and the Marks &
Sparks chicken. The dog was not questioned.

Supermarket chicken is the same wherever you buy it. All the taste is
taken out because it has been injected with water to bulk it out. To
get anything better you have to buy if from a source that doesn't do
that (and good luck!).

we got 3 waitrose chickens for a tenner. Each one fed to of us two meals
on the meat and a further one on the soup.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Here is the promised update.

The chicken cost a fiver, has fed 3 people and the ferking dog. Nobody
could tell the difference between the Aldi chicken and the Marks & Sparks
chicken. The dog was not questioned.

Supermarket chicken is the same wherever you buy it. All the taste is
taken out because it has been injected with water to bulk it out. To get
anything better you have to buy if from a source that doesn't do that (and
good luck!).

The chocolate ice lolly things are the same as Cadburys; or so Mrs Pounder
has informed me.

I bet they are not. I've never bought Aldi ones, but the ones that they
sell in Iceland (which seems to source some of its own brands from the
same supplier) are definitely inferior - though still acceptable

Well you'd lose your bet. In any case how can you decide what's best or
worse if you never buy it?

The biscuits are indistinguishable from any other brand of biscuits.

I buy "value" biccies in Tesco. 25p a pack against 1-1.50 for the bands.
And you can't tell the difference.

I regularly use Lidl. Their food mostly unknowns and packaged specially for
them beats Aldi mostly. each to their own I say.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nthkentman" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

[...]

I didn't say it was worse.

I said I doubted that it was the same (and I don't buy it because I don't
have an local Aldi ATM)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 19:20:17 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

[...]

Aldi are usually cheaper than Tesco, sometimes by a lot.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 20:34:59 +0100, "Nthkentman"
wrote:

"tim....." wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

[...]

I think the quality is the same for Aldi and Lidl (good,
value-for-money quality, I reckon). But Lidl's prices ~are~ somewhat
higher than Aldi's. I don't think you can find a better, cheaper range
of cold meats than at Aldi. Yesterday the shelves were full of many
different varieties, one was really spolit for choice. I bought a
packet of Black Forest ham, the kind that looks like smoked backon,
very thinly sliced. 99 pence! Same sort of thing will be double that
at Tesco or triple at Waitrose. And it's absolutely delicious, too.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

wrote:

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

[...]

Re own brand, In many instances it will be the same product as branded,
things may have changed now but many years back I worked for a major
crisp manufacturer and they made several own brands for supermarkets,
all they did was change the packaging. As explained to me if they
altered the `recipe` by the time they shut the line down cleaned it and
restarted it then got the oils heated up again for cooking then it would
actually cost more to produce and as the idea was the supermarket sold
own brand cheaper then margins were tight all round so no way are you
going to make it more expensive to produce, same goes for a biscuit
manufacturer I worked for although some supermarkets did want their own
recipes.
I suspect that Aldi/Lidl are not in fact own brand but possibly major
brands from other countries and we just dont recognise the brand names.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
I suspect that Aldi/Lidl are not in fact own brand but possibly major
brands from other countries and we just dont recognise the brand names.

Do any supermarkets make anything? I'd guess not. They simply have their
own brand put on things from a supplier. Who very likely makes similar for
others.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

[...]

Doesn't explain why we can see clear differences between various products.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
ss wrote:
I suspect that Aldi/Lidl are not in fact own brand but possibly major
brands from other countries and we just dont recognise the brand names.

Do any supermarkets make anything? I'd guess not. They simply have their
own brand put on things from a supplier. Who very likely makes similar for
others.

Similar isnt the same as identical.

Yes, some stuff like say sugar is identical.

Other stuff like bread etc obviously isnt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

[...]

In Germany, where these discounting stores started most of the different "no
name" brands sold by each store is the same, but it's different from the
main brands.

It seems that a manufacturer started up somehow making own brand whatever
and packages it into each of 7 or 8 different stores brands that it
supplies.

And whilst this may not be the way that Aldi sources all of its products, it
certainly the way that it sources most of them

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Do any supermarkets make anything? I'd guess not. They simply have
their own brand put on things from a supplier. Who very likely makes
similar for others.

Similar isnt the same as identical.

It can't be identical if it has a different name on the packaging. And you
call others fools...

Nor is it likely there is only one factory or indeed maker of such things
- so of course some seemingly similar products may differ. But the point
was that some contents of own brands may be identical to supermarket ones.
Is that clear enough even for you?

Yes, some stuff like say sugar is identical.

Other stuff like bread etc obviously isnt.

Bread is one of the few things where a decent supermarket may make some
types there self - on the premises.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 7, 10:38*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *ss wrote:

I suspect that Aldi/Lidl are not in fact own brand but possibly major
brands from other countries and we just dont recognise the brand names.

Do any supermarkets make anything? I'd guess not. They simply have their
own brand put on things from a supplier. Who very likely makes similar for
others.

One example was the own brand baked beans made on exactly the same
production line as a major brand. Difference were such things as the
use of tomato puree rather than fresh tomatoes, and so on.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2012 15:59, Mr Pounder wrote:
Here is the promised update.

The chicken cost a fiver, has fed 3 people and the ferking dog. Nobody could
tell the difference between the Aldi chicken and the Marks & Sparks chicken.
The dog was not questioned.

The chocolate ice lolly things are the same as Cadburys; or so Mrs Pounder
has informed me.
The biscuits are indistinguishable from any other brand of biscuits.
The fruit juice is as good as any I have ever drank.
I was not too keen on the 4.5% lager. 4 cans for less than 3 quid. It was
too sweet for me.

More updates to follow as and when.

FWIW I am an ALDI fan, but I never buy cheap meats. The unfeasibly long
shelf life, the strange unnatural colours, the odd small selection of
identical cuts, and cheap meat has to mean compromised animal welfare.

The Aldi wine is excellent value - quaffable at £3.60, good at a fiver.
All the pasta, flour, juice, detergents, bog roll - excellent.

Tim w

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2012 19:20, tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Here is the promised update.

The chicken cost a fiver, has fed 3 people and the ferking dog. Nobody
could tell the difference between the Aldi chicken and the Marks &
Sparks chicken. The dog was not questioned.

Supermarket chicken is the same wherever you buy it. All the taste is
taken out because it has been injected with water to bulk it out. To
get anything better you have to buy if from a source that doesn't do
that (and good luck!)...

They did a chicken taste test on TV a while back, using professional
tasters. The carefully reared corn-fed chicken was rated worst and one
of the supermarket chickens did best.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Things worth getting from aldi;

Garlic bread (frozen not the fresh which is horrible). 35p a stick, a
third of the price of Sainsbury's, and nicer too.

Free range chicken breasts, decent price much better taste.

Small luxury ice cream, pack of four square pots, £2, delicious.

Cashew nuts, nicer than Sainsbury's, half the price.

Curry sauce. Sauce in the jar and spices in the lid. Quick and easy,
and like a really decent takeaway. £1.30. Highly recommended.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
I thought all they do is
finish off part baked bread, the sort you buy yourself out on the
shelves. It will stil be produced for them in an industrial scale.

+1

Yes, they do,

I used to be able to buy the frozen part baked loaves at waitrose by
'asking nicely'

MBQ

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q :
On Aug 7, 12:56*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Bread is one of the few things where a decent supermarket may make some
types there self - on the premises.

Do they actually make it form scratch though? I thought all they do is
finish off part baked bread, the sort you buy yourself out on the
shelves. It will stil be produced for them in an industrial scale.

Interesting that supermarket bakeries often have fresh yeast bricks
available for sale if you ask, but they're not out on the shelves.
They're presumably used in the bakery for something.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bread is one of the few things where a decent supermarket may make some
types there self - on the premises.

Do they actually make it form scratch though? I thought all they do is
finish off part baked bread, the sort you buy yourself out on the
shelves. It will stil be produced for them in an industrial scale.

Interesting that supermarket bakeries often have fresh yeast bricks
available for sale if you ask, but they're not out on the shelves.
They're presumably used in the bakery for something.

Our Co Op has gone all posh with an instore baked walnut loaf at £1.85.
Have to say it was rather tasty and more than twice as dense as the
cheaper loaves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Our Co Op has gone all posh with an instore baked walnut loaf at £1.85.
Have to say it was rather tasty and more than twice as dense as the
cheaper loaves.

Yes - most supermarkets do those now. At a price - about 1.60 for a small
loaf.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bread is one of the few things where a decent supermarket may
make some types there self - on the premises.

Do they actually make it form scratch though? I thought all they
do is finish off part baked bread, the sort you buy yourself out
on the shelves. It will stil be produced for them in an
industrial scale.

Interesting that supermarket bakeries often have fresh yeast bricks
available for sale if you ask, but they're not out on the shelves.
They're presumably used in the bakery for something.

Our Co Op has gone all posh with an instore baked walnut loaf at
£1.85. Have to say it was rather tasty and more than twice as dense
as the cheaper loaves.

That should give MM a heart attack.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote
MM wrote
[...]

Doesn't have to be done like that tho. If for example you are making
say tomato soup in cans, if you start making the expensive stuff with
the more expensive tomatoes, and then need to change over to
making the cheaper own brand tomato soup, which uses a cheaper
grade of tomatoes, all you have to do is change the tomatoes you
are putting into the system, you don't have to shut the whole line
down, clean it all out, start it up again etc. You might end up with
a little of the more expensive tomatoes in the own brand run but
no one is going to notice that or even care if they did.

same goes for a biscuit manufacturer I worked for although some
supermarkets did want their own recipes.

We know they arent all the same when we can pick them in a
double blind trial and there are a wide variety of styles to buy.

I suspect that Aldi/Lidl are not in fact own brand but possibly major
brands from other countries and we just dont recognise the brand names.

Unlikely. That's certainly not true of the basic stuff like canned tomatoes
or olive oil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 06/08/2012 19:20, tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Here is the promised update.

The chicken cost a fiver, has fed 3 people and the ferking dog. Nobody
could tell the difference between the Aldi chicken and the Marks &
Sparks chicken. The dog was not questioned.

Supermarket chicken is the same wherever you buy it. All the taste is
taken out because it has been injected with water to bulk it out. To
get anything better you have to buy if from a source that doesn't do
that (and good luck!)...

They did a chicken taste test on TV a while back, using professional
tasters. The carefully reared corn-fed chicken was rated worst and one of
the supermarket chickens did best.

But its far from clear if they did decent replication of double blind
tests that they would reliably get the same result every time.

No one has ever had the balls to do a proper test like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

reams of your puerile silly **** flushed where it belongs

Yes, some stuff like say sugar is identical.

Other stuff like bread etc obviously isnt.

Bread is one of the few things where a decent supermarket
may make some types there self - on the premises.

But there clearly is a big variety of types of bread, so they
obviously arent all identical with just the brand changed.

Same with biscuits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Our Co Op has gone all posh with an instore baked walnut loaf at £1.85.
Have to say it was rather tasty and more than twice as dense as the
cheaper loaves.

Yes - most supermarkets do those now. At a price - about 1.60 for a small
loaf.

You can bake em for about 75p

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Cee writes:
Things worth getting from aldi;

Garlic bread (frozen not the fresh which is horrible). 35p a stick, a
third of the price of Sainsbury's, and nicer too.

Free range chicken breasts, decent price much better taste.

Small luxury ice cream, pack of four square pots, £2, delicious.

Cashew nuts, nicer than Sainsbury's, half the price.

I've yet to find anything nicer than Costco's cashews.

Curry sauce. Sauce in the jar and spices in the lid. Quick and easy,
and like a really decent takeaway. £1.30. Highly recommended.

How do you think the local takeaway makes them? ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 7, 8:55*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
[...]

Why not try stating the obvious.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
[...]

You that desperate ?

Stupid question.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2012 21:57, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 06/08/2012 19:20, tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Here is the promised update.

The chicken cost a fiver, has fed 3 people and the ferking dog. Nobody
could tell the difference between the Aldi chicken and the Marks &
Sparks chicken. The dog was not questioned.

Supermarket chicken is the same wherever you buy it. All the taste is
taken out because it has been injected with water to bulk it out. To
get anything better you have to buy if from a source that doesn't do
that (and good luck!)...

They did a chicken taste test on TV a while back, using professional
tasters. The carefully reared corn-fed chicken was rated worst and one
of the supermarket chickens did best.

But its far from clear if they did decent replication of double blind
tests that they would reliably get the same result every time.

Only because you didn't see the programme I did. The testing was carried
out by a laboratory that specialises in taste testing for the food
industry and they applied all necessary safeguards to ensure that the
results were unbiased and repeatable.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 06/08/2012 19:20, tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Here is the promised update.

The chicken cost a fiver, has fed 3 people and the ferking dog. Nobody
could tell the difference between the Aldi chicken and the Marks &
Sparks chicken. The dog was not questioned.

Supermarket chicken is the same wherever you buy it. All the taste is
taken out because it has been injected with water to bulk it out. To
get anything better you have to buy if from a source that doesn't do
that (and good luck!)...

They did a chicken taste test on TV a while back, using professional
tasters. The carefully reared corn-fed chicken was rated worst and one
of the supermarket chickens did best.

But that might be because people actually prefer what they are used to
and supermarket chicken tastes less of chicken than the corn fed ones.
Industrial grade supermarket chickens tend to look anaemic white and in
some cases actually taste slightly of herring/fishmeal!

Harder to tell after cooking and irrelevant if it is in a curry.

But its far from clear if they did decent replication of double blind
tests that they would reliably get the same result every time.

Only because you didn't see the programme I did. The testing was carried
out by a laboratory that specialises in taste testing for the food
industry and they applied all necessary safeguards to ensure that the
results were unbiased and repeatable.

Colin Bignell

I'd be surprised if professional food tasters could not tell the
difference between mass produced cheap chicken and quality meat. I
suppose it does depend somewhat on how it is cooked. You can trick most
professional wine tasters with the right combination of white wine and
red food colourings.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Nightjar wrote
[...]

We'll see...

The testing was carried out by a laboratory that
specialises in taste testing for the food industry

So what ?

and they applied all necessary safeguards to ensure
that the results were unbiased and repeatable.

Easy to claim. Have fun actually substantiating that claim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Our Co Op has gone all posh with an instore baked walnut loaf at
£1.85. Have to say it was rather tasty and more than twice as dense
as the cheaper loaves.

Yes - most supermarkets do those now. At a price - about 1.60 for a small
loaf.

You can bake em for about 75p

I'm surprised the ingredients cost that much. Makes them good value IMO
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Our Co Op has gone all posh with an instore baked walnut loaf at
£1.85. Have to say it was rather tasty and more than twice as dense
as the cheaper loaves.

Yes - most supermarkets do those now. At a price - about 1.60 for a
small
loaf.

You can bake em for about 75p

I'm surprised the ingredients cost that much. Makes them good value IMO

well really good quality durum wheat dont come cheap.

If you want to make supermarket quality loaves thats about 5p each :-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Aug 7, 4:03*pm, Mike Barnes wrote:

Do they actually make it form scratch though? I thought all they do is
finish off part baked bread, the sort you buy yourself out on the
shelves. It will stil be produced for them in an industrial scale.

Interesting that supermarket bakeries often have fresh yeast bricks
available for sale if you ask, but they're not out on the shelves.
They're presumably used in the bakery for something.

Maybe, but they still use variations of the dreaded 'Chorleywood'
process, which uses high concentrations of yeast, manual aeration, and
additives etc. to give fast throughput, long shelf life etc.

There is some evidence that consumption of bread made with these
'modern' methods is a cause of the rise in coeilac deseases, gluten
intolerance, etc.

This compared with artisanal methods which use small amounts of yeast,
long fermentation times, no additives etc., which gives a much nice
'proper' loaf apart from anything else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorleywood_bread_process

(I have just bought an expensive baking stone for my oven and am
enjoying learning more about making slow fermentation breads...)

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 06/08/2012 19:20, tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

[...]

They could - they thought one of the supermarket chickens superior in
flavour. I don't recall which supermarket though.

suppose it does depend somewhat on how it is cooked. You can trick most
professional wine tasters with the right combination of white wine and
red food colourings.

A professional food tasting laboratory doesn't do things that way. They
do blind testing of plain cooked meat.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:
[...]

SWMBOS nice baking stone cracked the first time it was put in an oven...

J^n

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
I suspect that Aldi/Lidl are not in fact own brand but possibly major
brands from other countries and we just dont recognise the brand names.

Do any supermarkets make anything? I'd guess not. They simply have their
own brand put on things from a supplier. Who very likely makes similar for
others.

Yes.
I know that nearly all meat is from the same place. It is the same with
bread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 8, 9:32*am, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 08/08/2012 09:16, Nightjar wrote:

On 07/08/2012 21:57, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
om...
On 06/08/2012 19:20, tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" *wrote in ...

[...]

What is quality and what is labelled as quality are 2 entirely
different things. Sainsburys TTD lemon tart/pie is of lousy quality,
but their value soups are healthier than the 'good for you' ones.

It always puzzles me that so many people pay totally OTT for various
branded low quality shampoos and conditioners rather than use
something decent for a fraction the price.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
NT wrote:
It always puzzles me that so many people pay totally OTT for various
branded low quality shampoos and conditioners rather than use
something decent for a fraction the price.

What I find strange is those obviously not flush with cash buying lots of
bottled water.

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

ALDI FYI The Medway Handyman UK diy 8 November 7th 11 05:41 PM
ALDI The Medway Handyman UK diy 56 September 13th 11 08:24 AM
Aldi George UK diy 25 October 14th 07 07:50 PM
Captain's Bed Update, Web page update Mark & Juanita Woodworking 3 July 3rd 06 04:57 PM
Off to Aldi... Jerry Built UK diy 2 June 29th 04 07:58 AM