Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT Aldi Update

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Aug 7, 8:55 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
ss wrote

MM wrote
tim..... wrote
Mr Pounder wrote
Here is the promised update.
The chicken cost a fiver, has fed 3 people and the ferking dog.
Nobody
could tell the difference between the Aldi chicken and the Marks&
Sparks chicken. The dog was not questioned.
Supermarket chicken is the same wherever you buy it. All the taste
is
taken out because it has been injected with water to bulk it out. To
get anything better you have to buy if from a source that doesn't do
that (and good luck!).
The chocolate ice lolly things are the same as Cadburys; or so Mrs
Pounder
has informed me.
I bet they are not. I've never bought Aldi ones, but the ones that
they
sell in Iceland (which seems to source some of its own brands from
the
same supplier) are definitely inferior - though still acceptable
The biscuits are indistinguishable from any other brand of biscuits.
I buy "value" biccies in Tesco. 25p a pack against 1-1.50 for the
bands.
And you can't tell the difference.
Aldi are usually cheaper than Tesco, sometimes by a lot.
Re own brand, In many instances it will be the same product as branded,
things may have changed now but many years back I worked for a major
crisp
manufacturer and they made several own brands for supermarkets, all
they
did was change the packaging. As explained to me if they altered the
`recipe` by the time they shut the line down cleaned it and restarted
it
then got the oils heated up again for cooking then it would actually
cost
more to produce and as the idea was the supermarket sold own brand
cheaper
then margins were tight all round so no way are you going to make it
more
expensive to produce,

Doesn't have to be done like that tho. If for example you are making
say tomato soup in cans, if you start making the expensive stuff with
the more expensive tomatoes, and then need to change over to
making the cheaper own brand tomato soup, which uses a cheaper
grade of tomatoes, all you have to do is change the tomatoes you
are putting into the system, you don't have to shut the whole line
down, clean it all out, start it up again etc. You might end up with
a little of the more expensive tomatoes in the own brand run but
no one is going to notice that or even care if they did.

Why not try stating the obvious.

You that desperate ?

Stupid question.