Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Italian electricity

Adam Funk wrote:
On 2012-08-09, Steve Firth wrote:

Rod doesn't seem to have a clue about how much wood is needed to fire an
oven, or how much time it takes. He also doesn't seem to know that most
homes in Italy have a 3kW supply. They can't run a pizza oven of the sort
sold at garden centres and ironmongers because to run the 3kw element they
would have to turn everything else off.

Do you mean most old or rural homes, or even new ones?

And does this have anything to do with the existence of 10 A sockets
and plugs (and special circuits, I assume) in Italy, in addition to
the usual European 13 A ones?

(Sorry for the late FU, but I just happened to be rummaging through my
travel adaptors/cables recently & the 2nd question popped up.)

Rod is dumb and ignorant. Steve Firth is worse however. Whatever his
single experience is, he considers universally true.

Although in this case he is probably correct. houses are fused at 13, 25
or 40A AFAICT.

Not the UK 60/100A standards

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Italian electricity (was: OT Aldi Update)

On 2012-08-09, Steve Firth wrote:

Rod doesn't seem to have a clue about how much wood is needed to fire an
oven, or how much time it takes. He also doesn't seem to know that most
homes in Italy have a 3kW supply. They can't run a pizza oven of the sort
sold at garden centres and ironmongers because to run the 3kw element
they
would have to turn everything else off.

Do you mean most old or rural homes, or even new ones?

And does this have anything to do with the existence of 10 A sockets
and plugs (and special circuits, I assume) in Italy, in addition to
the usual European 13 A ones?

(Sorry for the late FU, but I just happened to be rummaging through my
travel adaptors/cables recently & the 2nd question popped up.)

May I comment, since I live in Italy part of the time?
Almost all Italian houses or flats in my experience have a supply limited to
3kW, though it is possible to pay extra to get a 6kW supply. The smart meter
(fairly common in Italy for at least ten years) includes a cut-out which
trips at 3.3kW for a nominal 3kW supply like mine. So, yes, you have to
keep an eye on what you switch on at the same time.
Italian plugs come in two sizes, nominally 10 amp and 16 amp. Both have
three in-line round pins with earth at the centre and with the live and
neutral interchangeable (but then a 'salvavita' -- an earth-leakage
circuit-breaker) incorporated in the fuse-box has been common in Italy for
many years.) Most domestic appliances come with a German/French style
("Schuko"?) plug attached and the corresponding wall-sockets are available
as also are adaptors.
House wiring circuits are radial, normally in conduits embedded in the walls
(which makes rewiring easy) and following a change in the rules some years
ago the wire used is now always flexible. Blue is used for neutral with a
variety of colours for live (mine are black, just to make me keep my wits
about me.)

Stephen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-09, Steve Firth wrote:

Rod doesn't seem to have a clue about how much wood is needed to fire an
oven, or how much time it takes. He also doesn't seem to know that most
homes in Italy have a 3kW supply. They can't run a pizza oven of the sort
sold at garden centres and ironmongers because to run the 3kw element they
would have to turn everything else off.

Do you mean most old or rural homes, or even new ones?

And does this have anything to do with the existence of 10 A sockets
and plugs (and special circuits, I assume) in Italy, in addition to
the usual European 13 A ones?

(Oops, I mean 16 A.)

(Sorry for the late FU, but I just happened to be rummaging through my
travel adaptors/cables recently & the 2nd question popped up.)

Rod is dumb and ignorant. Steve Firth is worse however. Whatever his
single experience is, he considers universally true.

Well, we all do that to some extent, especially with our own pet
subjects.

Although in this case he is probably correct. houses are fused at 13, 25
or 40A AFAICT.

Not the UK 60/100A standards

OK. Just wondering if that had anything to do with the lower-rated
sockets too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-09-11, Stephen Mawson wrote:

"Adam Funk" wrote in message

And does this have anything to do with the existence of 10 A sockets
and plugs (and special circuits, I assume) in Italy, in addition to
the usual European 13 A ones?

(Oops, I meant 16 A.)

(Sorry for the late FU, but I just happened to be rummaging through my
travel adaptors/cables recently & the 2nd question popped up.)

May I comment, since I live in Italy part of the time?
Almost all Italian houses or flats in my experience have a supply limited to
3kW, though it is possible to pay extra to get a 6kW supply. The smart meter
(fairly common in Italy for at least ten years) includes a cut-out which
trips at 3.3kW for a nominal 3kW supply like mine. So, yes, you have to
keep an eye on what you switch on at the same time.
Italian plugs come in two sizes, nominally 10 amp and 16 amp. Both have
three in-line round pins with earth at the centre and with the live and
neutral interchangeable (but then a 'salvavita' -- an earth-leakage
circuit-breaker) incorporated in the fuse-box has been common in Italy for

Same as an RCD or similar?

many years.) Most domestic appliances come with a German/French style
("Schuko"?) plug attached and the corresponding wall-sockets are available
as also are adaptors.
House wiring circuits are radial, normally in conduits embedded in the walls
(which makes rewiring easy) and following a change in the rules some years
ago the wire used is now always flexible. Blue is used for neutral with a
variety of colours for live (mine are black, just to make me keep my wits
about me.)

To what extent are the live & neutral interchangeable? Just at the
plug-socket interface?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-09-11, Stephen Mawson wrote:

"Adam Funk" wrote in message

[...]

I assume so but have never investigated.

many years.) Most domestic appliances come with a German/French style
("Schuko"?) plug attached and the corresponding wall-sockets are
available
as also are adaptors.
House wiring circuits are radial, normally in conduits embedded in the
walls
(which makes rewiring easy) and following a change in the rules some
years
ago the wire used is now always flexible. Blue is used for neutral with a
variety of colours for live (mine are black, just to make me keep my wits
about me.)

To what extent are the live & neutral interchangeable? Just at the
plug-socket interface?

Just at the plug-socket interface, the plug being able to be inserted either
way up.

Stephen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Rod is dumb and ignorant. Steve Firth is worse however. Whatever his
single experience is, he considers universally true.

You're describing yourself, Mr "Use acrylic indoor sealant to repair cars"
wannabee scientist who couldn't qualify as one before hell freezes over.

Although in this case he is probably correct. houses are fused at 13, 25 or 40A AFAICT.

Of course I'm correct, much as it falls you to admit it.

Not the UK 60/100A standards

Who cares? The Q was about Italy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-09, Steve Firth wrote:

Rod doesn't seem to have a clue about how much wood is needed to fire an
oven, or how much time it takes. He also doesn't seem to know that most
homes in Italy have a 3kW supply. They can't run a pizza oven of the sort
sold at garden centres and ironmongers because to run the 3kw element they
would have to turn everything else off.

Do you mean most old or rural homes, or even new ones?

Even new ones. There is an advantageous tariff for 3kW supplies and
anything over 9kW is charged at Industrial rates (expensive).

Smart meters are used that register short term demand over 3kW and impose a
penalty charge. Exceed by too long on too many occasions and the meter
will either restrict supply further and trip out if the limit is exceeded
or it will disconnect and have to be manually reset.

In general people go for 3kW. Some adventurous souls go for 6kW. We have a
9kW supply for which I pay top dollar. We have to run washing machine and
dishwasher between midnight and 3AM. Too expensive during the day.

And does this have anything to do with the existence of 10 A sockets
and plugs (and special circuits, I assume) in Italy, in addition to
the usual European 13 A ones?

No, houses will have a mix of sockets. It's up to the owners to restrict
their use of power.

No such thing as 13A, there are Shuko plugs that IIRC are 15A and an
Italian 16A design. Mostly sockets are installed as a combined 10A/16A
design that accepts either type of Italian plug. Kitchens have the Shuko
design (aka Tedesco).

(Sorry for the late FU, but I just happened to be rummaging through my
travel adaptors/cables recently & the 2nd question popped up.)

it constantly grates on my nerves how many adaptors I have to use in Italy.
Even after removing every BS 1363 plug from appliances I need Shuko to
Ticino, 16A to 10A, Ticino to Shuko. No matter what combination you can
guarantee that the correct adaptor won't be to hand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Mawson" wrote:
[snip]

To what extent are the live & neutral interchangeable? Just at the
plug-socket interface?

Just at the plug-socket interface, the plug being able to be inserted either
way up.

They don't care at the socket either. Even sockets on the same wall box can
have some with line at the top, others with line at the bottom.

We used a couple of Italian electricians. Got rid of the first because he
really didn't care and left exposed conductors. The second reminded me if
Adam. He had an apprentice, was thorough and decent to work with. When I
explained that I wanted some things done the British way (use of armoured
cable to the barn) he was happy to comply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-09-11, Steve Firth wrote:

Even new ones. There is an advantageous tariff for 3kW supplies and
anything over 9kW is charged at Industrial rates (expensive).

Smart meters are used that register short term demand over 3kW and impose a
penalty charge. Exceed by too long on too many occasions and the meter
will either restrict supply further and trip out if the limit is exceeded
or it will disconnect and have to be manually reset.

In general people go for 3kW. Some adventurous souls go for 6kW. We have a
9kW supply for which I pay top dollar. We have to run washing machine and
dishwasher between midnight and 3AM. Too expensive during the day.

I guess heating & hot water are gas-powered?

And does this have anything to do with the existence of 10 A sockets
and plugs (and special circuits, I assume) in Italy, in addition to
the usual European 13 A ones?

(Oops, I meant 16 A, which is what I think Europlug/Schuko
plugs/sockets are usually rated for.)

No, houses will have a mix of sockets. It's up to the owners to restrict
their use of power.

No such thing as 13A, there are Shuko plugs that IIRC are 15A and an
Italian 16A design. Mostly sockets are installed as a combined 10A/16A
design that accepts either type of Italian plug. Kitchens have the Shuko
design (aka Tedesco).

aka "German" :-)

(Sorry for the late FU, but I just happened to be rummaging through my
travel adaptors/cables recently & the 2nd question popped up.)

it constantly grates on my nerves how many adaptors I have to use in Italy.
Even after removing every BS 1363 plug from appliances I need Shuko to
Ticino, 16A to 10A, Ticino to Shuko. No matter what combination you can
guarantee that the correct adaptor won't be to hand.

I haven't noticed 3 types of sockets in hotels & offices in Italy; I
thought all the sockets would take the 10 A Italian special plug and
some would take the Schuko. (I've only got 1 adaptor specifically for
Italy.) I guess they do a brisk trade in adaptors & extension leads
there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen Mawson
writes

On 2012-08-09, Steve Firth wrote:

[...]

Yes

I hated those Italian plugs when I lived there - always falling out

As an aside, in Indonesia, You get 1.1kW, 2.2kW, 3.3kW etc and pay a
standing charge depending on capacity

bit of a bugger as the water pump gets a bit old and draws just over the
supply when you're all shampoo'd up in the shower (the fusebox, of
course, being on the outside of the house)

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:

No such thing as 13A, there are Shuko plugs that IIRC are 15A and an
Italian 16A design. Mostly sockets are installed as a combined 10A/16A
design that accepts either type of Italian plug. Kitchens have the Shuko
design (aka Tedesco).

aka "German" :-)

My dad was in Italy towards the end of the war and the word was used by
Italians to point out the Germans, when the latter were in hiding.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Adam Funk wrote:

No such thing as 13A, there are Shuko plugs that IIRC are 15A and an
Italian 16A design. Mostly sockets are installed as a combined 10A/16A
design that accepts either type of Italian plug. Kitchens have the Shuko
design (aka Tedesco).

aka "German" :-)

My dad was in Italy towards the end of the war and the word was used by
Italians to point out the Germans, when the latter were in hiding.

What, "German" ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:

I guess heating & hot water are gas-powered?

Yes, yes, yes, no.

We have a thermal store that takes heat from log burners, solar panels
and if they aren't working a gas boiler. There is an (unused) electric
immersion heater as well.

[snip]

it constantly grates on my nerves how many adaptors I have to use in Italy.
Even after removing every BS 1363 plug from appliances I need Shuko to
Ticino, 16A to 10A, Ticino to Shuko. No matter what combination you can
guarantee that the correct adaptor won't be to hand.

I haven't noticed 3 types of sockets in hotels & offices in Italy;

Hotels don't supply guests with 16A.

I thought all the sockets would take the 10 A Italian special plug and
some would take the Schuko. (I've only got 1 adaptor specifically for
Italy.) I guess they do a brisk trade in adaptors & extension leads
there.

The combined 10A/16A looks like this:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bvupba3

The 10A like this:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bm3jthk

There are combined Shuko/10A/16A

http://www.haistore.it/01586761007/img/i1v2_1534.jpg

And of course there are the non-combined versions of each of the above.

Adapters:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bue4nmh
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c2nwn4p
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c2t9pdv
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ckzdpje
http://preview.tinyurl.com/cc96np2

I have all of these, more than one of each. Essential because all power
tools seem to come with Shuko connectors, external sockets are the 16A
weatherproof "industrial" pattern (other than those on the terrace of
the house which are "for Christmas lights" so they are indoor 10A behind
a splashproof cover).

And just to spice it up, I've also seen these in use:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/8d8rfwz

The good thing about standards is that there are so many of them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Aldi Update

Owain wrote:

Oakham chicken comes from Norfolk and Suffolk, not the West Midlands.

Rutland's county town is in the East Midlands.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Owain wrote:

Oakham chicken comes from Norfolk and Suffolk, not the West Midlands.

Rutland's county town is in the East Midlands.

and Surrey's is in Greater London.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Owain wrote:

Oakham chicken comes from Norfolk and Suffolk, not the West Midlands.

Rutland's county town is in the East Midlands.

and Surrey's is in Greater London.

What is/was Surrey's county town?

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

it constantly grates on my nerves how many adaptors I have to use in
Italy. Even after removing every BS 1363 plug from appliances I need Shuko
to Ticino, 16A to 10A, Ticino to Shuko. No matter what combination you can
guarantee that the correct adaptor won't be to hand.

I spend a lot of time in Italy, and agree so much with everything you say.

If only the Italians would admit that the British 3-pin plug is the best,
and the British would admit that the screw-in bulb is the best.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 11:16:31 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:

it constantly grates on my nerves how many adaptors I have to use in
Italy. Even after removing every BS 1363 plug from appliances I need Shuko
to Ticino, 16A to 10A, Ticino to Shuko. No matter what combination you can
guarantee that the correct adaptor won't be to hand.

I spend a lot of time in Italy, and agree so much with everything you say.

If only the Italians would admit that the British 3-pin plug is the best,
and the British would admit that the screw-in bulb is the best.

You mean the one where the base part you might be touching is part fo
the circuit? No thanks.

Oh come on now - you've only got a 50/50 chance that the socket was
wired up wrong!

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-09-12, Steve Firth wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:

I thought all the sockets would take the 10 A Italian special plug and
some would take the Schuko. (I've only got 1 adaptor specifically for
Italy.) I guess they do a brisk trade in adaptors & extension leads
there.

The combined 10A/16A looks like this:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bvupba3

Oh, I see what you mean. I'd forgotten about that one. But a Schuko
plug or a 2-pin German/French plug will fit in that, won't it?

The 10A like this:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bm3jthk

There are combined Shuko/10A/16A

http://www.haistore.it/01586761007/img/i1v2_1534.jpg

Those were the two kinds I'd remembered.

And of course there are the non-combined versions of each of the above.

Adapters:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bue4nmh
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c2nwn4p
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c2t9pdv
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ckzdpje
http://preview.tinyurl.com/cc96np2

I have all of these, more than one of each. Essential because all power
tools seem to come with Shuko connectors,

Well, the manufacturers want to sell the same thing in Italy, Germany,
France, &c., if they can, I suppose. What sorts of things (other than
adaptors) come with 10 A Italian plugs on them?

external sockets are the 16A
weatherproof "industrial" pattern (other than those on the terrace of
the house which are "for Christmas lights" so they are indoor 10A behind
a splashproof cover).

And just to spice it up, I've also seen these in use:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/8d8rfwz

Is that for Swiss plugs?

The good thing about standards is that there are so many of them.

Indeed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-09-12, Nick Odell wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 11:16:31 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:

it constantly grates on my nerves how many adaptors I have to use in
Italy. Even after removing every BS 1363 plug from appliances I need Shuko
to Ticino, 16A to 10A, Ticino to Shuko. No matter what combination you can
guarantee that the correct adaptor won't be to hand.

I spend a lot of time in Italy, and agree so much with everything you say.

If only the Italians would admit that the British 3-pin plug is the best,
and the British would admit that the screw-in bulb is the best.

You mean the one where the base part you might be touching is part fo
the circuit? No thanks.

Oh come on now - you've only got a 50/50 chance that the socket was
wired up wrong!

Well, based on what some people have been saying about Italian
electricians....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-09-11, Steve Firth wrote:

"Stephen Mawson" wrote:
[snip]

To what extent are the live & neutral interchangeable? Just at the
plug-socket interface?

Just at the plug-socket interface, the plug being able to be inserted either
way up.

They don't care at the socket either. Even sockets on the same wall box can
have some with line at the top, others with line at the bottom.

We used a couple of Italian electricians. Got rid of the first because he
really didn't care and left exposed conductors. The second reminded me if
Adam. He had an apprentice, was thorough and decent to work with. When I
explained that I wanted some things done the British way (use of armoured
cable to the barn) he was happy to comply.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what would the usual local way to power
the barn have been?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Owain wrote:

Oakham chicken comes from Norfolk and Suffolk, not the West Midlands.

Rutland's county town is in the East Midlands.

and Surrey's is in Greater London.

What is/was Surrey's county town?

I think he's referring to Kingston which is correct on both counts as Surrey
County Council is still HQ'd there even though it is now outside Surrey.

Many consider Guildford to be the principle town now, but I cannot find
anything to back this up officially.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 12, 12:01*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
* *charles wrote:
In article ,
* *Chris J Dixon wrote:
Owain wrote:

Oakham chicken comes from Norfolk and Suffolk, not the West Midlands.

Rutland's county town is in the East Midlands.

and Surrey's is in Greater London.

What is/was Surrey's county town?

I think he's referring to Kingston which is correct on both counts as Surrey
County Council is still HQ'd there even though it is now outside Surrey.

Only partially correct, "was" would be Guildford if you go back far
enough.

Many consider Guildford to be the principle town now, but I cannot find
anything to back this up officially.

See above for the reason why.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article , charles
wrote:
In article , Chris J Dixon
wrote:
Owain wrote:

Oakham chicken comes from Norfolk and Suffolk, not the West
Midlands.

Rutland's county town is in the East Midlands.

and Surrey's is in Greater London.

What is/was Surrey's county town?

I think he's referring to Kingston which is correct on both counts as
Surrey County Council is still HQ'd there even though it is now outside
Surrey.

Many consider Guildford to be the principle town now, but I cannot find
anything to back this up officially.

Guildford, in which I live, is probably the principle town. Surrey CC did
want to move County Hall there saome 20 years ago, but a legal challenge
their use of a particular site stopped that dead. There is now a plan to
move to Woking.

Is that back on again

It was abandoned at least 5 years ago due to lack of money

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tim.....
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article , charles
wrote:
In article , Chris J
Dixon wrote:
Owain wrote:

Oakham chicken comes from Norfolk and Suffolk, not the West
Midlands.

Rutland's county town is in the East Midlands.

and Surrey's is in Greater London.

What is/was Surrey's county town?

I think he's referring to Kingston which is correct on both counts as
Surrey County Council is still HQ'd there even though it is now
outside Surrey.

Many consider Guildford to be the principle town now, but I cannot
find anything to back this up officially.

Guildford, in which I live, is probably the principle town. Surrey CC
did want to move County Hall there saome 20 years ago, but a legal
challenge to their use of a particular site stopped that dead. There
is now a plan to move to Woking.

Is that back on again

It was abandoned at least 5 years ago due to lack of money

you may be right. I seem to remember reading that the WWF were moving onto
that site.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:
[snip]

And just to spice it up, I've also seen these in use:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/8d8rfwz

Is that for Swiss plugs?

Yes, most common around places like Como and other towns along the Swiss
border.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:
[snip].

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what would the usual local way to power
the barn have been?

Two conductors 6mm^2 in grey plastic conduit. He was bemused that I wanted
to pay for 16mm^2 SWA. The barn is a long way from the house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Adam Funk wrote:
[snip]

And just to spice it up, I've also seen these in use:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/8d8rfwz

Is that for Swiss plugs?

Yes, most common around places like Como and other towns along the Swiss
border.

What annoys me is that I visit Italy and Switzerland now and again, just
far enough apart in time that I've always put the shuko - national
adaptors in a safe place, so I end up having to buy another one every
time. :-/

I also find that the connection using the adaptors is remarkably
unstable, especially in Italy, but I'm never there long enough to make
it worth making a proper adaptor lead.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.surrey

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Owain wrote:

Oakham chicken comes from Norfolk and Suffolk, not the West Midlands.

Rutland's county town is in the East Midlands.

and Surrey's is in Greater London.

What is/was Surrey's county town?

Guildford.

(the council is in Kingston, which is no longer in Surrey)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.surrey

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 22:48:31 +0100, Andy Champ

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Owain wrote:

Oakham chicken comes from Norfolk and Suffolk, not the West Midlands.

Rutland's county town is in the East Midlands.

and Surrey's is in Greater London.

What is/was Surrey's county town?

Guildford.

(the council is in Kingston, which is no longer in Surrey)

Jamaica?

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.surrey

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:25:33 -0700 (PDT), Owain
wrote:

On Sep 13, 12:12*am, Frank Erskine wrote:
Jamaica?

No, she went of her own accord.

Owain

:-)

The oldies are always the best...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

The oldies are always the best...

Yes we are!

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-09-12, Steve Firth wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:
[snip].

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what would the usual local way to power
the barn have been?

Two conductors 6mm^2 in grey plastic conduit. He was bemused that I
wanted
to pay for 16mm^2 SWA. The barn is a long way from the house.

Wow.

When I bought my place in Italy, built in about 1975, the tails between the
meter and the consumer unit (about 8m long) were a pair of solid 1.5mm^2
wires, part in conduit, part not.

Stephen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-09-12, Steve Firth wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:
[snip].

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what would the usual local way to power
the barn have been?

Two conductors 6mm^2 in grey plastic conduit. He was bemused that I
wanted
to pay for 16mm^2 SWA. The barn is a long way from the house.

Wow.

When I bought my place in Italy, built in about 1975, the tails between the
meter and the consumer unit (about 8m long) were a pair of solid 1.5mm^2
wires, part in conduit, part not.

I guess Italy has figured out how to make people conserve electricity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:

I guess Italy has figured out how to make people conserve electricity.

In the same way Africa has solved obesity...

;-

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.local.surrey

In message , jf
writes
In article ,
says...

wrote:

On Sep 13, 12:12*am, Frank Erskine wrote:
Jamaica?

No, she went of her own accord.

Owain

:-)

The oldies are always the best...

Try telling that to a lady! On second thoughts, best not to.

We almost had an industrial accident last week

one employee to another "A woman of your age shouldn't be bothering with
such things ..."

--
geoff

ALDI FYI The Medway Handyman UK diy 8 November 7th 11 05:41 PM
ALDI The Medway Handyman UK diy 56 September 13th 11 08:24 AM
Aldi George UK diy 25 October 14th 07 07:50 PM
Captain's Bed Update, Web page update Mark & Juanita Woodworking 3 July 3rd 06 04:57 PM
Off to Aldi... Jerry Built UK diy 2 June 29th 04 07:58 AM