Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Italian electricity

Adam Funk wrote:

I guess heating & hot water are gas-powered?

Yes, yes, yes, no.

We have a thermal store that takes heat from log burners, solar panels
and if they aren't working a gas boiler. There is an (unused) electric
immersion heater as well.

[snip]

it constantly grates on my nerves how many adaptors I have to use in Italy.
Even after removing every BS 1363 plug from appliances I need Shuko to
Ticino, 16A to 10A, Ticino to Shuko. No matter what combination you can
guarantee that the correct adaptor won't be to hand.

I haven't noticed 3 types of sockets in hotels & offices in Italy;

Hotels don't supply guests with 16A.

I thought all the sockets would take the 10 A Italian special plug and
some would take the Schuko. (I've only got 1 adaptor specifically for
Italy.) I guess they do a brisk trade in adaptors & extension leads
there.

The combined 10A/16A looks like this:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bvupba3

The 10A like this:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bm3jthk

There are combined Shuko/10A/16A

http://www.haistore.it/01586761007/img/i1v2_1534.jpg

And of course there are the non-combined versions of each of the above.

Adapters:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bue4nmh
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c2nwn4p
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c2t9pdv
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ckzdpje
http://preview.tinyurl.com/cc96np2

I have all of these, more than one of each. Essential because all power
tools seem to come with Shuko connectors, external sockets are the 16A
weatherproof "industrial" pattern (other than those on the terrace of
the house which are "for Christmas lights" so they are indoor 10A behind
a splashproof cover).

And just to spice it up, I've also seen these in use:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/8d8rfwz

The good thing about standards is that there are so many of them.