Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ALDI

This looks rather good for £70;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-08-26-10-46

Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light source
to illuminate objects. Complete with three retrieval tools and mirror
attachment.

Flexible gooseneck retains configured shape
TFT monitor with 2.5'' screen size
2 White LEDs
Power supply: 6V DC (4 x AA)
Camera diameter: 10mm
Video input/output
Power on/off indicator
Battery low indicator
AVI output
4 x AA batteries included

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 01:23:25 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light source
to illuminate objects. Complete with three retrieval tools and mirror
attachment.

Colour or B&W? Angle of view? Camera and screen resoloution, they
could very different? How does one control which way the camera is
pointing? I wonder how stiff or not the camera cable is? If it's not
at least self supporting it'll be very difficult to control.

Got to admit it could still be a handy device to see what is in a
void through a small hole though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This looks rather good for £70;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-08-26-10-46

Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light source
to illuminate objects. Complete with three retrieval tools and mirror
attachment.

Flexible gooseneck retains configured shape
TFT monitor with 2.5'' screen size
2 White LEDs
Power supply: 6V DC (4 x AA)
Camera diameter: 10mm
Video input/output
Power on/off indicator
Battery low indicator
AVI output
4 x AA batteries included

To think I had to go to the local hospital for an endoscopy the other
day...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This looks rather good for £70;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-08-26-10-46

Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light source
to illuminate objects. Complete with three retrieval tools and mirror
attachment.

Flexible gooseneck retains configured shape
TFT monitor with 2.5'' screen size
2 White LEDs
Power supply: 6V DC (4 x AA)
Camera diameter: 10mm
Video input/output
Power on/off indicator
Battery low indicator
AVI output
4 x AA batteries included

To think I had to go to the local hospital for an endoscopy the other
day...

There's a limit to introspection!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 01:23:25 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light source
to illuminate objects. Complete with three retrieval tools and mirror
attachment.

Colour or B&W? Angle of view? Camera and screen resoloution, they
could very different? How does one control which way the camera is
pointing? I wonder how stiff or not the camera cable is? If it's not
at least self supporting it'll be very difficult to control.

Got to admit it could still be a handy device to see what is in a
void through a small hole though.

I bought one yesterday, and went back to buy another one as a
present for someone else. Not had a long play with it yet though.

It's colour. It has a pair of white LEDs which you can vary the
brightness off, but they don't get very bright, so it won't
throw light very far in a dark place. It says it's 480 x 234,
54 degrees. The gooseneck is 90cm long. It has a video output
and cable which works with my TV (this blanks the internal
display, but rather stupidly doesn't turn it off). Comes with
some attachments for the end - a couple of fish hooks a tiny
mirror, and a magnet, but no biopsy or polyp snips. The
gooseneck claims to be waterproof and has a max water level
marker right back at the display end, and instructions even
tell you to wash it after poking it down the drains. I don't
think you can rotate the camera, although I haven't tried
twisting it too hard. You can rotate the image through 180
degress from the controls. (From reading the manual, I thought
this was going to mirror flip it, but it doesn't, it rotates it.)

Most difficult part is getting the rubber shock covering off
(without breaking it) to fit the batteries in. (Takes 4xAA).

It's not going to be the last word in borescopes (probably
the light output is the most limiting factor), but I can
think of several occasions when it would have been useful.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

This looks rather good for £70;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-08-26-10-46

Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light source
to illuminate objects. Complete with three retrieval tools and mirror
attachment.

Flexible gooseneck retains configured shape
TFT monitor with 2.5'' screen size
2 White LEDs
Power supply: 6V DC (4 x AA)
Camera diameter: 10mm
Video input/output
Power on/off indicator
Battery low indicator
AVI output
4 x AA batteries included

I saw that - but concluded it's too short to be of much use.

--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This looks rather good for £70;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-08-26-10-46

Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light
source to illuminate objects. Complete with three retrieval tools
and mirror attachment.

Flexible gooseneck retains configured shape
TFT monitor with 2.5'' screen size
2 White LEDs
Power supply: 6V DC (4 x AA)
Camera diameter: 10mm
Video input/output
Power on/off indicator
Battery low indicator
AVI output
4 x AA batteries included

To think I had to go to the local hospital for an endoscopy the other
day...

There's a limit to introspection!

Looks to be about 75cm. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

This looks rather good for £70;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-08-26-10-46

Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light source
to illuminate objects. Complete with three retrieval tools and mirror
attachment.

I found this thread interesting,
but I can't think what the device could be used for.
Could someone give a couple of examples?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

This looks rather good for £70;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-08-26-10-46

Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light
source to illuminate objects. Complete with three retrieval tools
and mirror attachment.

I found this thread interesting,
but I can't think what the device could be used for.
Could someone give a couple of examples?

Checking the condition of engine main bearings through the oil drain
hole instead of taking it out and re-building.
Checking the condition of Wall cavities using a small hole.
DIY Proctology ..
Removing bits of broken spark plug from engines without stripping down.
Drain inspection, albeit limited ..
Checking the condition of anything to which the only access is a small
hole ..

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul - xxx wrote:
Checking the condition of engine main bearings through the oil drain
hole instead of taking it out and re-building.

You can't see the actual bearings without dismantling.

--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Paul - xxx wrote:
Checking the condition of engine main bearings through the oil drain
hole instead of taking it out and re-building.

You can't see the actual bearings without dismantling.

No, but you can see if they're gunged up or dis-coloured or if there's
a build up of sludge elsewhere or bits of an old piston etc .. it was a
general suggestion really ...

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

I found this thread interesting,
but I can't think what the device could be used for.
Could someone give a couple of examples?

Retrieving items dropped into parts of cars where they should not be -
eg dropping screws into an inlet manifold.

Inspecting difficult to reach locations, for example on one of my cars
it is very difficult to reach/see the connector for the throttle body
sensor without dismantling a large amount of other stuff. Being able to
inspect the connector to decide if the dismantling was necessary would
be useful.

There are also many voids in my home that need occasional inspection for
signs of deterioration such as water ingress.

If you can't see a need for one, you obviously don't need one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I saw that - but concluded it's too short to be of much use.

And also a tad expensive compared to some of the other stuff available.
If you already have a laptop PC (and I suspect most of us do) then all
that is needed is a USB borescope, a 5 metre borescope costs £18 (ish)
from several suppliers on ebay and would probably be more usable than
the Aldi offering.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

This looks rather good for £70;

I found this thread interesting,
but I can't think what the device could be used for.
Could someone give a couple of examples?

The borescope could probably be used as a bronchoscope to inspect the
bronchial tubes for signs of tar deposits, pulmonary emphysema, lung cancer
and other bronchial diseases caused by smoking.

This is probably what the OP had in mind.
--
Interloper

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Interloper wrote:
"Timothy Murphy" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

This looks rather good for £70;

I found this thread interesting,
but I can't think what the device could be used for.
Could someone give a couple of examples?

The borescope could probably be used as a bronchoscope to inspect the
bronchial tubes for signs of tar deposits, pulmonary emphysema, lung
cancer and other bronchial diseases caused by smoking.

This is probably what the OP had in mind.

10mm in diameter? Like to see you get that past someone's vocal cords and
still leave enough room to breath!

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:54:58 +0100, Tim Downie
wrote:

Interloper wrote:
"Timothy Murphy" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

This looks rather good for £70;

I found this thread interesting,
but I can't think what the device could be used for.
Could someone give a couple of examples?

The borescope could probably be used as a bronchoscope to inspect the
bronchial tubes for signs of tar deposits, pulmonary emphysema, lung
cancer and other bronchial diseases caused by smoking.

This is probably what the OP had in mind.

10mm in diameter? Like to see you get that past someone's vocal cords
and still leave enough room to breath!

Tim

I thought that was about the size of the one I "swallowed" a little while
ago. Checked and a random site suggested that current endoscopes are
typically 9mm
wide.

Indeed I then found:

"Most routine upper GI endoscopes are between 8 and 11·mm in diameter."
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/x..._chapter_1.pdf

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:26:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Paul - xxx wrote:
Checking the condition of engine main bearings through the oil drain
hole instead of taking it out and re-building.

You can't see the actual bearings without dismantling.

If the engine has cornered with a low level then the white metal can
melt and ooze out of the bearing caps like icicles - seen it with my
own eyes 30 years ago on an 'A Series'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I found this thread interesting,
but I can't think what the device could be used for.
Could someone give a couple of examples?

tape it to your willy before you have a session with the missus??
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

polygonum wrote:

I thought that was about the size of the one I "swallowed" a little
while ago. Checked and a random site suggested that current
endoscopes are typically 9mm
wide.

Indeed I then found:

"Most routine upper GI endoscopes are between 8 and 11·mm in
diameter."
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/x..._chapter_1.pdf

GI= Gastro-Intestinal, not bronchial.

--
Register as an organ donor with the NHS online. It takes 1 minute and
saves you carrying an organ donor card with you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Interloper wrote:
"Timothy Murphy" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Yep, as you say, that's "GI" (gastro-intestinal), not for bronchoscopy
(looking down airways) which is what was being proposed.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:26:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Paul - xxx wrote:
Checking the condition of engine main bearings through the oil drain
hole instead of taking it out and re-building.

You can't see the actual bearings without dismantling.

If the engine has cornered with a low level then the white metal can
melt and ooze out of the bearing caps like icicles - seen it with my
own eyes 30 years ago on an 'A Series'

You'll not need a camera to know this has happened. Just ears.

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2011 19:54, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:

This looks rather good for £70;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-08-26-10-46

Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light source
to illuminate objects. Complete with three retrieval tools and mirror
attachment.

I found this thread interesting,
but I can't think what the device could be used for.
Could someone give a couple of examples?

Drilling into a plasterboard wall or a boarded floor - drill one 10mm
hole for the camera and you can look behind/underneath to make sure you
don't hit those pipes & cables.

Is the correct answer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2011 16:43, Interloper wrote:
"Timothy Murphy" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

This looks rather good for £70;

I found this thread interesting,
but I can't think what the device could be used for.
Could someone give a couple of examples?

The borescope could probably be used as a bronchoscope to inspect the
bronchial tubes for signs of tar deposits, pulmonary emphysema, lung cancer
and other bronchial diseases caused by smoking.

Possibly you could stick one up your arse in an attempt to find your brains.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
ps.com
Owain wrote:

On Aug 29, 6:22*pm, "Gazz" wrote:
Could someone give a couple of examples?

tape it to your willy before you have a session with the missus?? *

Just give it to the missus and you can settle down for a quiet half-
hour with a nice cuppa and a Fred Dibnah DVD.

Owain

Brilliant!!!!

--
John Bryan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

This looks rather good for £70;

I found this thread interesting,
but I can't think what the device could be used for.
Could someone give a couple of examples?

The borescope could probably be used as a bronchoscope to inspect the
bronchial tubes for signs of tar deposits, pulmonary emphysema, lung
cancer and other bronchial diseases caused by smoking.

This is probably what the OP had in mind.

10mm in diameter? Like to see you get that past his vocal cords and
still leave enough room to breath!

wouldnt really matter, the prognosis is a forgone conclusion anyway.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Meddling Highwayman" wrote:

Possibly you could stick one up your arse in an attempt to find your
brains.

Good to hear from you TMH. Your enlightened, well-reasoned responses are
always an inspiration.
--
Interloper

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gentlemen, my apologies, I was being facetious.

I need to direct you to an earlier uk.D-I-Y thread entitled "Blowing
Neighbours smell away" (posted 27/08/2011), and in particular to the rabid
defence of an anti-social habit by "The Medway Handyman", who is the OP for
this thread.

Considering the nature of the addiction, it seemed obvious why TMH was
considering the purchase of a borescope ;-)
--
Interloper

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

I tend to the practice of "I haven't got one, and it's a bargain, so I
might as well buy one in case I need it in the future".

Very true! I indulged in the pipe wrench set recently, with no
plumbing in prospect. Turned out to be the required tool to get
the clips tight on my new mud flaps.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 01:23:25 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

Flexible video borescope

I wonder why the Beeny woman keeps calling them 'boroscopes'?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman writes:

This looks rather good for £70;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-08-26-10-46

Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light source
to illuminate objects. Complete with three retrieval tools and mirror
attachment.

Did anyone else get one?
They'd sold out a few days later from the Dunstable branch.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 19:40:24 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
The Medway Handyman writes:

This looks rather good for £70;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-08-26-10-46

Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light source
to illuminate objects. Complete with three retrieval tools and mirror
attachment.

Did anyone else get one?

I did. I've only casually played about with it for the moment.

They'd sold out a few days later from the Dunstable branch.

I had to visit several branches until I found about a dozen in a
Durham store.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Interloper wrote:
"Timothy Murphy" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Am I glad that I was unconscious when they shoved a scope down my
throat! I think that they only knowcked my out 'cos they also wanted to
cut a hole in my chest and shove the scope in there too!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2011 22:23, Steve Walker wrote:
Am I glad that I was unconscious when they shoved a scope down my
throat! I think that they only knowcked my out 'cos they also wanted to
cut a hole in my chest and shove the scope in there too!

IIRC they knock you out to suppress the gag / cough reflexes, which
would otherwise be a bit of a problem.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 16:47:08 +0100, Andy Champ
wrote:

On 10/09/2011 22:23, Steve Walker wrote:
Am I glad that I was unconscious when they shoved a scope down my
throat! I think that they only knowcked my out 'cos they also wanted to
cut a hole in my chest and shove the scope in there too!

IIRC they knock you out to suppress the gag / cough reflexes, which
would otherwise be a bit of a problem.

Andy

I had mine without sedation - just an anaesthetic spray/swallow down the
throat. It was entirely optional whether to have sedation.

The report, sent to my GP, said "Strong gag reflex". And that is how I
remember it - definitely glad I had an empty stomach - and so were they.
:-)

Several uncontrollable heaves when it was well down towards my stomach,
and the rest was fine. And quite a lot of burping afterwards as they pump
air into the stomach.

I would do the same again - but ask for more spray.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2011 16:58, polygonum wrote:
I had mine without sedation - just an anaesthetic spray/swallow down the
throat. It was entirely optional whether to have sedation.

The report, sent to my GP, said "Strong gag reflex". And that is how I
remember it - definitely glad I had an empty stomach - and so were they.
:-)

Several uncontrollable heaves when it was well down towards my stomach,
and the rest was fine. And quite a lot of burping afterwards as they
pump air into the stomach.

I would do the same again - but ask for more spray.

On 11/09/2011 17:39, Huge wrote:
You remember wrong. I've had 2 gastric endoscopies so far, both while
fully conscious.

It's very unpleasant.

In this case I bow to your superior knowledge. Mine was hearsay; may it
remain so.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2011 17:39, Huge wrote:
You remember wrong. I've had 2 gastric endoscopies so far, both while
fully conscious.

It's very unpleasant.

In this case I bow to your superior knowledge. Mine was hearsay; may it
remain so.

Andy

Actually what ****es me off about it was not the endoscopy experience
itself. But that they still have no idea why I keep feeling so nauseous.
And the medicine that helps with that gives me sore lips and mouth.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Champ
scribeth thus

On 11/09/2011 17:39, Huge wrote:
You remember wrong. I've had 2 gastric endoscopies so far, both while
fully conscious.

It's very unpleasant.

In this case I bow to your superior knowledge. Mine was hearsay; may it
remain so.

Andy

Excellent reading on all aspects of endoscopy here...

nb: don't DIY this will ya....

http://www.gihealth.com/index.html
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2011 20:25, tony sayer wrote:
In et.uk, Andy Champ
scribeth thus

On 11/09/2011 17:39, Huge wrote:
You remember wrong. I've had 2 gastric endoscopies so far, both while
fully conscious.

It's very unpleasant.

In this case I bow to your superior knowledge. Mine was hearsay; may it
remain so.

Andy

Excellent reading on all aspects of endoscopy here...

I don't need to - my wife used to be an endoscopy nurse, I've heard
enough about it!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2011 17:39, Huge wrote:
You remember wrong. I've had 2 gastric endoscopies so far, both
while
fully conscious.

It's very unpleasant.

In this case I bow to your superior knowledge. Mine was hearsay; may
it
remain so.

Andy

Actually what ****es me off about it was not the endoscopy experience
itself.

It was a bit tiresome that all the medicos said it was no big deal,
beforehand,
then admitted it's very unpleasant.

But that they still have no idea why I keep feeling so nauseous.

Fancy swapping your nausea for my gastritis for a while?

What are you on? Buccastem or similar?

Think I'll pass on swapsies. You been checked for parietal cell
antibodies? B12 levels? And, dare I say it, thyroid?

Yep. Liquid cosh in larger doses. :-)

Did try something else but it did absolutely nothing to help.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-09-11, Andy Champ wrote:
On 10/09/2011 22:23, Steve Walker wrote:
Am I glad that I was unconscious when they shoved a scope down my
throat! I think that they only knowcked my out 'cos they also wanted to
cut a hole in my chest and shove the scope in there too!

IIRC they knock you out to suppress the gag / cough reflexes,

You remember wrong. I've had 2 gastric endoscopies so far, both while
fully conscious.

It's very unpleasant.

Same here, but the only unoleasant part was a delay with one so the spray
had started to wear off. With the first one, I couldn't swallow the smallest
'scope; /I/ had to suggest going up a size and that worked OK. Might be due
to so many decades of eating a lot and getting the food down as fast as I
could. Did end up with a sore throat for a few hours each time - don't know
how that happened.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Aldi toy - did anyone get one ? Colin Wilson UK diy 16 October 8th 08 08:51 PM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 mrcheerful UK diy 0 May 20th 06 07:37 AM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 7 May 19th 06 09:14 PM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 Grumps UK diy 2 May 19th 06 07:49 PM
Aldi Arthur UK diy 11 October 2nd 04 09:31 PM