Arthur

Default Aldi

Might appeal to you. On sale from today.

£18
Powercraft Plunge Router £17.99
This powerful tool is ideal for the workshop. . 1050 watt . Ergonomic
handles . 6mm and 8mm collets . Parallel guide . Template ring . Spindle nut
wrench . Adjustable plunge/depth . Electronic variable speed 9000-30000
rpm . Complete with ten router bits

Set £2.99

8 piece SDS Plus Hammer Drill Bit For use in masonry, brick and stone. Bit
sizes of 5, 6, 8mm x 110mm; 6, 8, 10mm x 150mm; 8mm, 12mm x 200mm. Can be
used with all electro-pneumatic hammer drills with SDS Plus attachment

Andy Hall

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:22:53 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

Might appeal to you. On sale from today.

£18
Powercraft Plunge Router £17.99
This powerful tool is ideal for the workshop. . 1050 watt . Ergonomic
handles . 6mm and 8mm collets . Parallel guide . Template ring . Spindle nut
wrench . Adjustable plunge/depth . Electronic variable speed 9000-30000
rpm . Complete with ten router bits

Let's hope it doesn't fly apart in somebody's hands.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

Might appeal to you. On sale from today.

£18
Powercraft Plunge Router £17.99
This powerful tool is ideal for the workshop. . 1050 watt . Ergonomic
handles . 6mm and 8mm collets . Parallel guide . Template ring . Spindle nut
wrench . Adjustable plunge/depth . Electronic variable speed 9000-30000
rpm . Complete with ten router bits

Let's hope it doesn't fly apart in somebody's hands.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I had an eastern european motorbike and side car once. It never came
anywhere near flying apart in my, or anyone else's hands. It did
almost write off the car of one of those drivers who don't see
motorbikes, when he pulled out of a side street, straight into the
scaffold pole-like chassis of the sidecar though.
--
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to mail me.
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Let's hope it doesn't fly apart in somebody's hands.

Doesn't need to - 6mm collet. Cutters to fit it are like hens' teeth
and putting a 1/4" (6.4mm) is asking for a whirling projectile.
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

Let's hope it doesn't fly apart in somebody's hands.

Doesn't need to - 6mm collet. Cutters to fit it are like hens' teeth
and putting a 1/4" (6.4mm) is asking for a whirling projectile.

You're right, in the sense that you're not wrong about the difference.
But I think you're exaggerating the lack of tolerance between the 2
for practical purposes. In other words I think your "con" is a bit of
a con. Certainly the collets I've got are built to squeeze to grip.
--
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to mail me.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:54:24 +0100, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

But I think you're exaggerating the lack of tolerance between the 2
for practical purposes.

You haven't seen this done, have you ?

The problem is that collets are hardened and relatively stiff. They'll
tighten down to any size, but they then form a cone that's only
gripping over a short ring, not the full length. The cutters ran off
axis and if 1/4" is forced into 6mm they form an open-mouthed cone
that's just asking for a flyer.

Remember the old Bosch routers, where they were supplied with a 6.4mm
collet, a couple of 6mm cutters and an adapter shim that most people
ignored. They'd hold reasonably well (any cutter slip didn't cause it
to work much looser) , but the 6mm cutter ran well out of true.

--
Smert' spamionam
Andy Hall

wrote:

But I think you're exaggerating the lack of tolerance between the 2
for practical purposes.

You haven't seen this done, have you ?

The problem is that collets are hardened and relatively stiff. They'll
tighten down to any size, but they then form a cone that's only
gripping over a short ring, not the full length. The cutters ran off
axis and if 1/4" is forced into 6mm they form an open-mouthed cone
that's just asking for a flyer.

Remember the old Bosch routers, where they were supplied with a 6.4mm
collet, a couple of 6mm cutters and an adapter shim that most people
ignored. They'd hold reasonably well (any cutter slip didn't cause it
to work much looser) , but the 6mm cutter ran well out of true.

Shouldn't be a problem though. I expect that the motor will burn out
before it reaches full speed :-)

Either that or there'll be 0.2mm run out on the spindle anyway.....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

But I think you're exaggerating the lack of tolerance between the 2
for practical purposes.

You haven't seen this done, have you ?

Do you mean I haven't seen a 1/4"shank fitted into a 6mm collet?
If that's what you mean, then your right again, I've neither done it
nor seen it but I have read quite a lot about it and this is what
I've understood so far:
Some manufacturers/users rightly or wrongly make no practical
distinction between 6mm and 1/4" shank/collet fitting. They then go
ahead and use the combination without a problem.

Others have fitted 1/4" shanks into 1/4" collets and had the cutter
fly out in use. Discussion has then moved to the micrometer
measurement level in an attempt to explain and understand the event.

The problem is that collets are hardened and relatively stiff. They'll
tighten down to any size, but they then form a cone that's only
gripping over a short ring, not the full length.
The cutters ran off
axis and if 1/4" is forced into 6mm they form an open-mouthed cone
that's just asking for a flyer.

There are variations. some collets will behave in this way, some will
distort/conform to the shank depending on their structure.
In order to make and validate a point some people refer to levels of
precision that often don't exist in practical reality.
It's a bit like the discussion of who's holier, the one who goes to
church on Sunday only, or the one who goes to church every day.

Remember the old Bosch routers, where they were supplied with a 6.4mm
collet, a couple of 6mm cutters and an adapter shim that most people
ignored. They'd hold reasonably well (any cutter slip didn't cause it
to work much looser) , but the 6mm cutter ran well out of true.

Degrees of precision again and who can argue against more precision as
opposed to less?

There is also the possibly more relevant matter of context. This
thread is about an alternative source of d-i-y tools that have
generally proved to be dependable and inexpensive. Such a thread will
inevitably attract brand zealots, who will use both rational argument
and hocus pocus to denigrate the competition. The router table for
sale at Aldi is at least as good as other inexpensive tables. The
router in question has both 6mm and 8mm collets and while 6mm shanked
bits may be most easily acquired by purchasing the accompanying bit
sets, 8mm shanked cutters can be had from numerous sources including
Trend.
The argument against metric sized router bit shanks is turning into a
bit of an anachronism, especially when you have people talking up the
merits of imperial shanks on bits with metric cutter profiles.
--
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to mail me.
G&M

"Paper2002AD" wrote in message
Also, Makro have an offer on for a Nutool router PLUS router table for £40

+
Vat

B&Q have their 150W 1/3 sheet sander at £4.94. Even if they don't last
long you can afford to throw them at this price. One assumes this is an end
of line.

Off to Aldi... Jerry Built UK diy 2 June 29th 04 07:58 AM
Eating fox? (Aldi). Jerry Built UK diy 132 May 24th 04 03:39 PM
OT - was eating fox (Aldi) Tim Nicholson UK diy 2 May 10th 04 09:01 PM
This coming weeks Aldi specials - air compressor any good? Francis UK diy 28 March 25th 04 07:30 PM
Aldi Power Craft Router John UK diy 5 January 10th 04 01:52 PM