Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi toy - did anyone get one ?

Just wondering what the night vision goggles are like - is the
illuminator visible etc ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...

Just wondering what the night vision goggles are like - is the
illuminator visible etc ?

Ever thought of making one of those night vision cameras yourself?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ever thought of making one of those night vision cameras yourself?

Nope, I wouldn't know where to start...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
Ever thought of making one of those night vision cameras yourself?

Nope, I wouldn't know where to start...

Objective lens to focus image on image intensifier tube.
HV supply to power image intensifier tube.
Lens to view image.
Easy, in principle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ever thought of making one of those night vision cameras yourself?
Nope, I wouldn't know where to start...

Objective lens to focus image on image intensifier tube.
HV supply to power image intensifier tube.
Lens to view image.
Easy, in principle.

I'd hazard a guess that in this instance at least, it would be cheaper
to just buy one :-}

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Colin Wilson" o.uk
wrote in message g...
Ever thought of making one of those night vision cameras yourself?

Nope, I wouldn't know where to start...

Objective lens to focus image on image intensifier tube.
HV supply to power image intensifier tube.
Lens to view image.
Easy, in principle.

Not a good idea to have an HV supply an inch from your eye if you don't
know how to do it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
Ever thought of making one of those night vision cameras yourself?

Nope, I wouldn't know where to start...

Digital camera / camcorder. Pry off the IR blocking filter, get an IR filter
for a big torch like a clulite, and bingo, you've got a nightvision camera
setup. Could be done with a very cheap camera and a car headlamp running a
100W bulb from a car battery for naff all. IR filters are about £20 from
Anchor Supplies...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nope, I wouldn't know where to start...
Digital camera / camcorder. Pry off the IR blocking filter, get an IR filter
for a big torch like a clulite, and bingo, you've got a nightvision camera
setup. Could be done with a very cheap camera and a car headlamp running a
100W bulb from a car battery for naff all. IR filters are about £20 from
Anchor Supplies...

Thanks for the tips, but I suspect a car battery would be a tad too
heavy to go fox / owl hunting around the local park :-} (we got within
about 8 feet of a tawny a few weeks ago - my wife spotted it, but by
the time my eyes had adjusted to the gloom it flew off)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes
Objective lens to focus image on image intensifier tube.
HV supply to power image intensifier tube.
Lens to view image.
Easy, in principle.

It's just finding and buying the image intensifier that's the hard bit
then. Oooh, hang on, Aldi were selling a complete night vision thingy,
you could buy one of them and strip it down for the tube...
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Colin Wilson o.uk writes:

Just wondering what the night vision goggles are like - is the
illuminator visible etc ?

I was walking past an ALDI this morning, so I thought I'd have a
look at them. Couldn't see them so I asked. Apparently they all
went on the first day.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was walking past an ALDI this morning, so I thought I'd have a
look at them. Couldn't see them so I asked. Apparently they all
went on the first day.

All the local scrotes will have them, so they can see when houses are
empty...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Oct, 22:14, "Doki" wrote:
"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in ella.org...

Ever thought of making one of those night vision cameras yourself?

Nope, I wouldn't know where to start...

Digital camera / camcorder. Pry off the IR blocking filter, get an IR filter
for a big torch like a clulite, and bingo, you've got a nightvision camera
setup. Could be done with a very cheap camera and a car headlamp running a
100W bulb from a car battery for naff all. IR filters are about 20 from
Anchor Supplies...

The Aldi device wasn't IR night vision, it was an image intensifier I
think. A wholly different type and no IR light that can be detected.
http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_7351.htm
No, I didn't buy one either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clint Sharp writes:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes
Objective lens to focus image on image intensifier tube.
HV supply to power image intensifier tube.
Lens to view image.
Easy, in principle.

It's just finding and buying the image intensifier that's the hard bit
then. Oooh, hang on, Aldi were selling a complete night vision thingy,
you could buy one of them and strip it down for the tube...

I always rather wanted one, right back to being a teenager when
I used to see adverts for them from the likes of J Bull Electrical.
Those were army surpless ones. Could never afford them at the time
on my pocket money.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bruce saying
something like:

Lots of former Soviet-made ones came on the market at the time the
Cold War ended (early 1990s).

Still available on German ebay - search for 'Nachtsichtgeräte', the
Cyclop M-1 /H3T-1 being a particular favourite of the border guards.

Here's one... http://tinyurl.com/3nobo4

And here's an adaptor for M42, allowing a pic to be taken of the
escaper, just before you shoot him... http://tinyurl.com/4xwl3t

I got one of each last year for not much money. The image is viewable,
but what you'd expect from an 80s design. Iow, ok for spotting border
jumpers and not much else.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Oct, 16:18, Onetap wrote:

The Aldi device wasn't IR night vision, it was an image intensifier I
think.

Here's a clue: If it has a built-in illuminator, it's not an image
intensifier, it's just yet another cheap 1st gen IR-sensitive
converter. You'll get just as good results (if not better) with many
video cameras (possibly needing to remove a filter first).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
Ever thought of making one of those night vision cameras yourself?

Nope, I wouldn't know where to start...

One of these...
http://tinyurl.com/3goauz
and a cheap ebay camcorder.

Aldi George UK diy 25 October 14th 07 08:50 PM
Aldi Sat Nav Timothy Murphy UK diy 0 March 14th 07 12:35 AM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 raden UK diy 2 May 20th 06 09:14 AM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 7 May 19th 06 10:14 PM
Aldi Arthur UK diy 11 October 2nd 04 10:31 PM