Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default OT Aldi Update

On 07/08/2012 07:39, MM wrote:
On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 19:20:17 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Here is the promised update.

The chicken cost a fiver, has fed 3 people and the ferking dog. Nobody
could tell the difference between the Aldi chicken and the Marks& Sparks
chicken. The dog was not questioned.

Supermarket chicken is the same wherever you buy it. All the taste is taken
out because it has been injected with water to bulk it out. To get anything
better you have to buy if from a source that doesn't do that (and good
luck!).

The chocolate ice lolly things are the same as Cadburys; or so Mrs Pounder
has informed me.

I bet they are not. I've never bought Aldi ones, but the ones that they
sell in Iceland (which seems to source some of its own brands from the same
supplier) are definitely inferior - though still acceptable

The biscuits are indistinguishable from any other brand of biscuits.

I buy "value" biccies in Tesco. 25p a pack against 1-1.50 for the bands.
And you can't tell the difference.

Aldi are usually cheaper than Tesco, sometimes by a lot.

MM

Re own brand, In many instances it will be the same product as branded,
things may have changed now but many years back I worked for a major
crisp manufacturer and they made several own brands for supermarkets,
all they did was change the packaging. As explained to me if they
altered the `recipe` by the time they shut the line down cleaned it and
restarted it then got the oils heated up again for cooking then it would
actually cost more to produce and as the idea was the supermarket sold
own brand cheaper then margins were tight all round so no way are you
going to make it more expensive to produce, same goes for a biscuit
manufacturer I worked for although some supermarkets did want their own
recipes.
I suspect that Aldi/Lidl are not in fact own brand but possibly major
brands from other countries and we just dont recognise the brand names.