Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ATTN: Rod Speed - "soggy island"

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:25:42 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
John Williamson wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
BartC wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

The UK is the 74th wettest country in the world, with on average
about half the rainfall of Australia. We even get less rain than Germany.

I find it hard to believe Australia is wetter than here.

It is anyway. Some places can get 15" of rain in one day.

The trouble here is it doesn't come at once, we get cloud days on end with a steady drizzle of water all the ****ing time.

So why are they running out in the South-east?

Incompetence.

Not entirely. The number of litres of rain falling *per person* in
the South East of England is about the same as it is in Israel.

http://www.bestcountryreports.com/Pr...%20Kingdom.php

http://www.bestcountryreports.com/Pr...Map_Israel.php

Both maps use the same colours for the same actual rainfall. The
South East of England is more densely populated than Israel, so the
bands for rainfall per person are one paler on Israel than they
would be in the UK.

The age of the water mains doesn't help, with the latest estimates
still showing about 20% of the water in London never getting to the
consumers' taps, but that's more due to lack of investment by the
government over the last five or six decades than the incomepetence
of the water boards.

Also most water does not go through dams. We must be using a very small proportion of the water that rains.

Thats true of almost everywhere.

There isnt any point in lots more dams when droughts are so rare.

It makes a lot more sense to just stop wasting the water when there is a drought instead.

Or have enough dams so we can use what we want and enjoy ourselves.

It's not to do with droughts at specific times. The news article said we'd had two winters without much rainfall in a row. So it's an accumulative effect.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Women like silent men, they think they're listening.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rod Speed - "soggy island"

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:06:13 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/water-firms...122917413.html

Our water companies don't think we're soggy.

Its a conspiracy, they're flogging the water to someone else, stupid.

They have to be the single most incompetent shower of useless people on the planet.

The english you mean ? Careful, they'll frog march all your ilk out of their country if you dont watch out.

The water companies.

A drought in the UK, a bloody ISLAND!!!! [Shakes head in disbelief]

Plenty of islands have droughts.

It's not a real drought. Africa has droughts.

If I lived down there, I'd leave the tap running 24/7 to teach them a lesson.

Remember Culloden.

What has that to do with it? I'm talking about the English people teaching the English water companies a lesson.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Bakers trade bread recipes on a kneadtoknow basis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.wa2wrshoytk5n5@i7-940...
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:22:03 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote
Tim Streater wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/water-firms...122917413.html

Our water companies don't think we're soggy.

Yes, it's because it hasn't rained much recently. And because the great
British public is somewhat resistant to water
meters (all houses should have them).

They have to be the single most incompetent shower of useless people
on the planet. A drought in the UK, a bloody
ISLAND!!!! [Shakes head in disbelief]

What'sits being an island to do with it.

If I lived down there, I'd leave the tap running 24/7 to teach them a
lesson.

See above about water meters.

I thought this was a troll. However I will wade in in any case.

Groan...

As we have loads of wind generators out at sea now, why not just get
them working to make drinking water out of
seawater

Because they dont generate anything like enough power to run a desal
plant.

rather than have them providing power when nobody needs it and not when
they do, at least water can be stored unlike
electricity for the grid.

But when it returns to being the soggy little island it usually is, that
water wont be any use.

It makes a lot more sense to tell people to stop wasting
the water on the gardens until it rains decently again.

Then we all get dead gardens. Nice.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Seen on a tap in a Finnish washroom:
To stop the drip, turn cock to right.

Get the water companies to repair their leaks but they won't do it because
it eats into their profits. It is easier to impose a hose ban. As for water
meters that is just an easy way to increase the price without a lot of
paperwork.
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newsp.wa203maeytk5n5@i7-940...
wrote:

It makes a lot more sense to just stop wasting the water when there is a
drought instead.

Or have enough dams so we can use what we want and enjoy ourselves.

Well I certainly don't want to pay several times what I do now for water, so
that other people can wash their cars and water their lawns. (I never wash
my car and never water my lawn.)

And only a hosepipe ban has been proposed so far. Nobody is going to die of
thirst. And the few people who grow things to eat in their garden, can use a
bucket or watering can.

And where are you going to put a dam in the Southeast anyway? The only river
of note is the Thames; even if the topography allowed it, we'd have to lose
quite a few towns in the Thames Valley area. I think those residents would
rather put up with a yellowy lawn for a few months (although there's no
indication the summer is going to be that dry).

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff wrote
Tim Streater wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/water-firms...122917413.html

Our water companies don't think we're soggy.

Yes, it's because it hasn't rained much recently. And because the
great British public is somewhat resistant to water meters (all
houses should have them).

They have to be the single most incompetent shower of useless
people on the planet. A drought in the UK, a bloody ISLAND!!!!
[Shakes head in disbelief]

What'sits being an island to do with it.

If I lived down there, I'd leave the tap running 24/7 to teach them a lesson.

See above about water meters.

I thought this was a troll. However I will wade in in any case.

Groan...

As we have loads of wind generators out at sea now, why not just get them working to make drinking water out of
seawater

Because they dont generate anything like enough power to run a desal plant.

rather than have them providing power when nobody needs it and not
when they do, at least water can be stored unlike electricity for the grid.

But when it returns to being the soggy little island it usually is, that water wont be any use.

It makes a lot more sense to tell people to stop wasting
the water on the gardens until it rains decently again.

Then we all get dead gardens.

Nope. Even in the desert corner of that soggy little island, they wouldnt
all get dead gardens if they arent allowed to use hoses for a while.

Nice.

And much cheaper than a stupid desal plant that might get used once every 20 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

How much does it cost per litre or per cubic metre?

I don't have the exact figure but I should guess it's more for a cubic
metre than for a litre.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BartC wrote:

(I never wash
my car and never water my lawn.)

Very wise. Since we got a water meter I have taken to having a midnight
**** on next door's lawn, to save flushing.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
John Williamson wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
BartC wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

The UK is the 74th wettest country in the world, with on average about half the rainfall of Australia. We even get
less rain than Germany.

I find it hard to believe Australia is wetter than here.

It is anyway. Some places can get 15" of rain in one day.

The trouble here is it doesn't come at once, we get cloud days on end with a steady drizzle of water all the ****ing
time.

That happens here too.

[...]

Much cheaper to stop hosing the garden in the very occassional drought instead.

It's not to do with droughts at specific times.

Yes it is.

The news article said we'd had two winters without much rainfall in a row.

Thats just one form of drought. They dont all happen in just one block of no rain.

So it's an accumulative effect.

All droughts are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/water-firms...122917413.html

Our water companies don't think we're soggy.

Its a conspiracy, they're flogging the water to someone else, stupid.

They have to be the single most incompetent shower of useless people on the planet.

The english you mean ? Careful, they'll frog march all your ilk out of their country if you dont watch out.

The water companies.

Fraid not. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to be telling people to
stop using hoses in their gardens than it does to build lots more dams
so you never have a problem with less water than people are using.

A drought in the UK, a bloody ISLAND!!!! [Shakes head in disbelief]

Plenty of islands have droughts.

It's not a real drought.

Corse it is.

Africa has droughts.

So does that soggy little island too.

If I lived down there, I'd leave the tap running 24/7 to teach them a lesson.

Remember Culloden.

What has that to do with it?

Thats what they did the last time you lot got too uppity.

I'm talking about the English people teaching the English water companies a lesson.

Nope, you were just wanking. Stoppit before you go blind, boy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BartC wrote:

And where are you going to put a dam in the Southeast anyway? The only
river
of note is the Thames; even if the topography allowed it, we'd have to
lose quite a few towns in the Thames Valley area. I think those
residents would rather put up with a yellowy lawn for a few months
(although there's no indication the summer is going to be that dry).

yes. MOST of the southern uplands are chalk and the water simply soaks
into the aquifers. Not a great deal ends up in the rivers and that's
probably spring fed anyway.

East anglia is a shade different in that its clay over the top on the
uplands - so there is less underground water.

And less rainfall anyway.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
BartC wrote:

(I never wash
my car and never water my lawn.)

Very wise. Since we got a water meter I have taken to having a midnight
**** on next door's lawn, to save flushing.

why wait till midnight?

Bill

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Bob Eager
escribió:

Milton Regis would be the best place.

Milton Keynes, please.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 12, 3:36*pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/water-firms...e-bans-1229174...

Our water companies don't think we're soggy. *They have to be the single most incompetent shower of useless people on the planet. *A drought in the UK, a bloody ISLAND!!!! *[Shakes head in disbelief]

If I lived down there, I'd leave the tap running 24/7 to teach them a lesson.

--http://petersparrots.comhttp://petersphotos.com

Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the end.

Have you never heard of a desert island?
There are plenty of islands have no rainfall.
You're actually pretty thick?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 12, 7:57*pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:48:51 -0000, John Williamson wrote:
Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:22:24 -0000, BartC wrote:

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message

That would make sense if there was a shortage of the stuff. *This has to
be about the wettest country in the world.

The UK is the 74th wettest country in the world, with on average about
half the rainfall of Australia. We even get less rain than Germany.

I find it hard to believe Australia is wetter than here.

You ARE pretty thick!
They have rainfairests in Australia
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/water-firms...e-bans-1229174....

Our water companies don't think we're soggy.

Its a conspiracy, they're flogging the water to someone else, stupid.

They have to be the single most incompetent shower of useless people on the planet.

The english you mean ? *Careful, they'll frog march all your ilk out of their country if you dont watch out.

The water companies.

A drought in the UK, a bloody ISLAND!!!! *[Shakes head in disbelief]

Plenty of islands have droughts.

It's not a real drought. *Africa has droughts.

http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com...t-in-the-world

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 12:55*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/water-firms...e-bans-1229174....
Our water companies don't think we're soggy.
Its a conspiracy, they're flogging the water to someone else, stupid.
They have to be the single most incompetent shower of useless people on the planet.
The english you mean ? *Careful, they'll frog march all your ilk out of their country if you dont watch out.

The water companies.

Fraid not. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to be telling people to
stop using hoses in their gardens than it does to build lots more dams
so you never have a problem with less water than people are using.

Makes more sense to fix the leaks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:35:49 -0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

I thought this was a troll. However I will wade in in any case. As
we have loads of wind generators out at sea now, why not just get
them working to make drinking water out of seawater rather than have them providing power when nobody needs it and
not when they do, at least water can be stored unlike electricity for the grid.

Indeed - the Middle East manage it.

Not with wind generators they dont.

Indeed. Its one of the areas where solar energy actually works - use it
to evaporate seawater and condense it with cold sea water.

you get up to 1KW per sq meter out off a hot midday solar panel(average
probably 200W). Less than 2W/sq meter from wind.

The UK is just disorganised.

They have enough of a clue to realise that droughts arent common
enough to warrant a desal plant and that it makes a lot more sense
to just tell people to stop hosing their gardens until it rains again.

Indeed. Bags of water up north that would be cheaper to drive down a
motorway than desal.

We could do loads more with what we have too. - 5 gallons to flush away
a cupful of pee?

Are you one of these manky people?
http://youtu.be/9cSNBNR1F2A

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Williamson
writes
The main problem with water supply and use in the UK is the vastly
disproportionate number of people living in the driest areas. About
half the population of the UK lives within 60 miles of Charing Cross.

My water bill has just plopped through my letterbox. £983.

If, as I read, the national average is in the £350 region, before anyone
pumps or otherwise moves any of our water to the idiots who huddle
together in the parched south, it would be good to see the south paying
their bit.

I've posted about this before. Yes, I should change to a water meter and
yes, I know I shouldn't have hung up when I rang to enquire and got so
annoyed by the system.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The UK is the 74th wettest country in the world, with on average about
half the rainfall of Australia. We even get less rain than Germany.

I find it hard to believe Australia is wetter than here.

1,304mm per year in Canberra, and 762mm per year in London. (1931 - 1960
averages)

It's not just Canberra either...

1,729.5mm Darwin
1,213.2mm Sydney
964.7mm Brisbane
850.0mm Perth

all the above having more rainfall more than London, leaving just
those below with less.

650.0mm Melbourne
616.2mm Hobart
544mm Adelaide

Source Wikipedia quoting Australian Bureau of Meteorology

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:36 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/water-firms...e-bans-1229174...

Our water companies don't think we're soggy. They have to be the single most incompetent shower of useless people on the planet. A drought in the UK, a bloody ISLAND!!!! [Shakes head in disbelief]

If I lived down there, I'd leave the tap running 24/7 to teach them a lesson.

--http://petersparrots.comhttp://petersphotos.com

Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the end.

Have you never heard of a desert island?

(Harry: that stands for 'deserted island: I.e. uninhabited - a social
and cultural desert, like the town where you live: It doesn't mean its
dry ...)

There are plenty of islands have no rainfall.

Off hand I cannot recall a single one.

The Penguin islands are perhaps the driest islands I can think of.

You're actually pretty thick?

Its the way you tell em harry.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 11:29*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
harry wrote:
[...]

Fuertaventura is a near one with virtually zero rain fall.
Small islands have to have mountains to have significant rainfall.
http://www.fuerteventura-weather.com/
More here.
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/gals...der/index.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
harry wrote:
[...]

Utter ********. It ****es with rain in the middle of the tropical oceans.

Never mind there bein an island to catch it on./

If an island is dry its because that latitude is dry - as is the west
coast of Namibia and IIRC some parts of Chile.

http://www.fuerteventura-weather.com/
More here.
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/gals...der/index.html

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Squady Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Squady Scott wrote

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/water-firms...e-bans-1229174...

Our water companies don't think we're soggy.

Its a conspiracy, they're flogging the water to someone else, stupid.

They have to be the single most incompetent shower of useless people on the planet.

The english you mean ? Careful, they'll frog march all your ilk
out of their country if you dont watch out. The water companies.

Fraid not. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to be telling people to
stop using hoses in their gardens than it does to build lots more dams
so you never have a problem with less water than people are using.

Makes more sense to fix the leaks.

Thats been done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

Makes more sense to fix the leaks.

Thats been done.

Thames water are losing 693 million litres of water *per day* through
leaks in their pipes. (2011 - 2012 estimated figures), out of a total of
2,600 million litres supplied. That's about a quarter of the supply just
leaking away into the ground.

Other water boards here lose about the same percentage.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:47:58 -0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.wa2dmdu6ytk5n5@i7-940...
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/water-firms...122917413.html

Our water companies don't think we're soggy. They have to be the single
most incompetent shower of useless people on the planet. A drought in the
UK, a bloody ISLAND!!!! [Shakes head in disbelief]

If I lived down there, I'd leave the tap running 24/7 to teach them a
lesson.

Prick.

Why reintroduce the wanger?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Never use a long word when a diminutive one will do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
How much does it cost per litre or per cubic metre?

I don't have the exact figure but I should guess it's more for a cubic
metre than for a litre.

God's Own Water costs £1.33 per cubic litre, 0.133p per litre
according to my current bill.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

Makes more sense to fix the leaks.

Thats been done.

Thames water are losing 693 million litres of water *per day* through
leaks in their pipes. (2011 - 2012 estimated figures), out of a total of
2,600 million litres supplied. That's about a quarter of the supply just
leaking away into the ground.
#

where it ends up in the aquifers again :=-)

Other water boards here lose about the same percentage.

Not an unreasonable percentage really considering the age of the conduits

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

Makes more sense to fix the leaks.

Thats been done.

Thames water are losing 693 million litres of water *per day* through
leaks in their pipes. (2011 - 2012 estimated figures), out of a total
of 2,600 million litres supplied. That's about a quarter of the supply
just leaking away into the ground.
#

where it ends up in the aquifers again :=-)

Downstream of the withdrawal point usually, in the Thames area, though
mostly still upstream of the next user. It's a waste of treatment
facilities and energy, though. Round here, it's just wasted, as there
are not many downstream of us, and the reservoirs are a few hundred feet
uphill. It might help grow stuff on the Cheshire plains, I suppose.

Other water boards here lose about the same percentage.

Not an unreasonable percentage really considering the age of the conduits

It would be better if the Governments since WW2 had actually kept the
system up to standard, but that was a political decision.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

It would be better if the Governments since WW2 had actually kept the
system up to standard, but that was a political decision.

= spend money on stuff that wins elections.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 20:24, John Williamson wrote:
1,304mm per year in Canberra, and 762mm per year in London. (1931 - 1960
averages)

Obviously some bits of the UK are wetter, but it's not much over 1500mm
per year, even in the lake district.

Canberra's up in the mountains (and pretty). googles Sydney, on the
other hand only gets... 1218mm.

How come it never seems that wet?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote

Thames water are losing 693 million litres of water *per day* through leaks in their pipes. (2011 - 2012 estimated
figures), out of a total of 2,600 million litres supplied. That's about a quarter of the supply just leaking away into
the ground.

Other water boards here lose about the same percentage.

And because they do, it just isnt practical to 'fix the leaks'

Leaks are a part of any piped water system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote
John Williamson wrote

1,304mm per year in Canberra, and 762mm per year in London. (1931 - 1960 averages)

Obviously some bits of the UK are wetter, but it's not much over 1500mm per year, even in the lake district.

Canberra's up in the mountains (and pretty). googles Sydney, on the other hand only gets... 1218mm.

How come it never seems that wet?

You dont get that much drizzle.

Melburg in winter on the other hand...

It gets substantially less rain than Sydney too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
How much does it cost per litre or per cubic metre?

I don't have the exact figure but I should guess it's more for a cubic
metre than for a litre.

God's Own Water costs £1.33 per cubic litre, 0.133p per litre
according to my current bill.

Does that include sewerage charges? Also charged per cubic metre. (Total
about £2.50/m3 around here.)

And there's a standing charge which usually comprises 50% of my bill with my
usual consumption. So effectively about £5/m3 or just over 2p a gallon.

(To illustrate how much that is, if I turn my kitchen tap on full -- 15
litres/min -- that's about £4.50/hour. Equivalent to turning on 15 2kW fan
heaters all at once! How did opening a tap get that expensive?!

The figures include the standing charge, so the unit cost goes down the more
I use, but not by that much. But it goes up if I use less: if I only use 1
litre in a particular month, that will cost me £12!)

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:23:07 +0000 The Other Mike wrote :
It's not just Canberra either...

1,729.5mm Darwin
1,213.2mm Sydney
964.7mm Brisbane
850.0mm Perth

all the above having more rainfall more than London, leaving just
those below with less.

650.0mm Melbourne
616.2mm Hobart
544mm Adelaide

Yes, I came here in October 2008 at the end of a ten year drought.
In my first six or so months the dam levels fell from 31% to 26%.
government commissioned a multi-billion desalination plant, still
under construction. Needless to say, since then it hasn't stopped
raining (until recently) - dam levels now 64.8% (at the end of
summer).

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote
The Other Mike wrote

It's not just Canberra either...

1,729.5mm Darwin
1,213.2mm Sydney
964.7mm Brisbane
850.0mm Perth

all the above having more rainfall more than
London, leaving just those below with less.

650.0mm Melbourne
616.2mm Hobart
544mm Adelaide

Yes, I came here in October 2008 at the end of a ten year drought.
In my first six or so months the dam levels fell from 31% to 26%.
government commissioned a multi-billion desalination plant, still
under construction. Needless to say, since then it hasn't stopped
raining (until recently) - dam levels now 64.8% (at the end of summer).

And Sydney's desal got completed a while ago now, and its working,
and the main dam is more than 100% full, and the stupid politicians,
Labor, were actually stupid enough to write the contract so that the
desal plant is still working even when the water from it isnt needed
anymore. The voters have just given them the bums rush at the
ballot box very uncermoniously indeed, much more dramatically
than the state has ever seen in any election, ever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:58:37 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
BartC wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Tim Streater wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Yes, it's because it hasn't rained much recently. And because the great British public is somewhat resistant to
water meters (all houses should have them).

No they shouldn't! Firstly water is the most important thing for
life, you shouldn't be metering something that we absolutely need.

All the more reason to meter a resource that people might otherwise
be tempted to squander. (The average person probably uses 100 times
more water - directly in his house - than he actually needs to live.)

That would make sense if there was a shortage of the stuff.

There can be at times.

Only in their opinion because it's mismanaged by leaks and insufficient dams.

This has to be about the wettest country in the world.

Fraid not.

50% of the times I go out it's raining.

What'sits being an island to do with it.

The further you are from the ocean, the less rainfall you get.

You can still get droughts on small islands (who then have to import it via ships).

We get droughts in the UK simply because we get a lot of rain (and
therefore don't bother to build big enough reservoirs). And piping
water all over the country is expensive; we'd all have to pay for it..

It's not like we pay much for water compared to electrocity and gas. I pay £161.92 a YEAR for water.

And most arent interested in paying for the piping when its so rarely needed.

Makes a lot more sense to just stop wasting it on the garden
etc during inevitable droughts when they are so infrequent.

What I do with the water is my own business. I'll stop using a hose when they say so as long as they give me a refund.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

The reason your job died unexpectedly is because we lost coolant to the firewall and the ether in the net blew up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:47:49 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
John Williamson wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
John Williamson wrote

The UK is the 74th wettest country in the world, with on average about half the rainfall of Australia. We even get
less rain than Germany.

I find it hard to believe Australia is wetter than here.

1,304mm per year in Canberra, and 762mm per year in London. (1931 - 1960 averages)

Obviously some bits of the UK are wetter, but it's not much over 1500mm per year, even in the lake district.

Anyone who lives in Australia will tell you they get the sun all the time!

Not those in Tasmania they wont. Its even more of a soggy little island than yours.

I meant mainland Australia, not the outposts.

The age of the water mains doesn't help, with the latest estimates
still showing about 20% of the water in London never getting to
the consumers' taps, but that's more due to lack of investment by
the government over the last five or six decades than the
incomepetence of the water boards.

Also most water does not go through dams. We must be using a very small proportion of the water that rains.

It depends how you define use. Every gallon of Thames water gets used (drunk and flushed down the drain or washed in,
then repeat the cycle) on average four times before it finally gets into the sea.

I heard it was seven.

So they clearly dont need much in the way of dams there.

Other parts of the South East use boreholes, which tap into the water layer below the London clay, so the water used
is fossil water that fell on the North and South Downs a few Centuries ago.

This is a crazy idea surely?

Nope.

Creating a big gap underground.

Nope.

And using something which is not available forever.

It gets recharged.

You said "is fossil water that fell on the North and South Downs a few Centuries ago".

Merseyside and Birmingham use dams in Wales with Merseyside using the Lake District as well, the Potteries area uses
dams in the peak district, and Yorkshire's water mainly comes from the Pennines by various routes.

Most water use in the UK, though, is for agriculture, and the vast majority of that is rain directly onto the crops.
You don't often see irrigation being used, especially in comparison with parts of mainland Europe.

I'm sure there are plenty natural rivers that just flow straight out to sea. There are in Scotland anyway. I don't
think the Tay is used much at all.

The main problem with water supply and use in the UK is the vastly
disproportionate number of people living in the driest areas. About
half the population of the UK lives within 60 miles of Charing Cross.

They shouldn't. I detest cities and can't understand someone wanting to live all crammed together like that. And
they pay more for the privilege!

They are probably still scarred of you hairy legged savages in dresses.

Even the romans were.

We only wear those for the tourists.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

What is the difference between a 69 and driving in the fog?
When driving in the fog, you can't see the asshole in front of you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tony Bryer wrote
The Other Mike wrote

[...]

What is it about Gumment entities that they are unable to write sensible contracts?

Dunno. Presumably the contract written that way got a higher tender offer.

God knows why some damned public servant didnt point that out to the pollys.

That govt was also stupid enough to go for a 60c/KWH gross feed in tarrif for solar electricity too.