Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lieutenant Scott Lieutenant Scott is offline

Default ATTN: Rod Speed - "soggy island"

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:35:49 -0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

I thought this was a troll. However I will wade in in any case. As
we have loads of wind generators out at sea now, why not just get
them working to make drinking water out of seawater rather than have them providing power when nobody needs it and
not when they do, at least water can be stored unlike electricity for the grid.

Indeed - the Middle East manage it.

Not with wind generators they dont.

Indeed. Its one of the areas where solar energy actually works - use it
to evaporate seawater and condense it with cold sea water.

you get up to 1KW per sq meter out off a hot midday solar panel(average
probably 200W). Less than 2W/sq meter from wind.

The UK is just disorganised.

They have enough of a clue to realise that droughts arent common
enough to warrant a desal plant and that it makes a lot more sense
to just tell people to stop hosing their gardens until it rains again.

Indeed. Bags of water up north that would be cheaper to drive down a
motorway than desal.

We could do loads more with what we have too. - 5 gallons to flush away
a cupful of pee?

Are you one of these manky people?
http://youtu.be/9cSNBNR1F2A

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.