Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ATTN: Rod Speed - "soggy island"

BartC wrote:

And where are you going to put a dam in the Southeast anyway? The only
river
of note is the Thames; even if the topography allowed it, we'd have to
lose quite a few towns in the Thames Valley area. I think those
residents would rather put up with a yellowy lawn for a few months
(although there's no indication the summer is going to be that dry).

yes. MOST of the southern uplands are chalk and the water simply soaks
into the aquifers. Not a great deal ends up in the rivers and that's
probably spring fed anyway.

East anglia is a shade different in that its clay over the top on the
uplands - so there is less underground water.

And less rainfall anyway.

and how hard it is to achieve it.