Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lieutenant Scott Lieutenant Scott is offline

Default ATTN: Rod Speed - "soggy island"

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:58:37 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
BartC wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Tim Streater wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Yes, it's because it hasn't rained much recently. And because the great British public is somewhat resistant to
water meters (all houses should have them).

No they shouldn't! Firstly water is the most important thing for
life, you shouldn't be metering something that we absolutely need.

All the more reason to meter a resource that people might otherwise
be tempted to squander. (The average person probably uses 100 times
more water - directly in his house - than he actually needs to live.)

That would make sense if there was a shortage of the stuff.

There can be at times.

Only in their opinion because it's mismanaged by leaks and insufficient dams.

This has to be about the wettest country in the world.

Fraid not.

50% of the times I go out it's raining.

What'sits being an island to do with it.

The further you are from the ocean, the less rainfall you get.

You can still get droughts on small islands (who then have to import it via ships).

We get droughts in the UK simply because we get a lot of rain (and
therefore don't bother to build big enough reservoirs). And piping
water all over the country is expensive; we'd all have to pay for it..

It's not like we pay much for water compared to electrocity and gas. I pay £161.92 a YEAR for water.

And most arent interested in paying for the piping when its so rarely needed.

Makes a lot more sense to just stop wasting it on the garden
etc during inevitable droughts when they are so infrequent.

What I do with the water is my own business. I'll stop using a hose when they say so as long as they give me a refund.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

The reason your job died unexpectedly is because we lost coolant to the firewall and the ether in the net blew up.