Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd label on Boiler

A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.

It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !

See pictu-

http://www.markyboy.net/Top-hat+ladder.jpg

Why, and what does it all mean ?

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Carver wrote:

A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.
It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !

http://www.markyboy.net/Top-hat+ladder.jpg

Why, and what does it all mean ?

https://groups.google.com/group/uk.d...76a561cb?hl=en

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mark Carver
writes
A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.

It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !

See pictu-

http://www.markyboy.net/Top-hat+ladder.jpg

Why, and what does it all mean ?

What does the manual say the buttons are for?

Chimney sweeps used to wear top hats I think and carry ladders so maybe
there's some tenuous link to boiler servicing.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:00:26 +0100
Mark Carver wrote:

A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.

It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !

See pictu-

http://www.markyboy.net/Top-hat+ladder.jpg

Why, and what does it all mean ?

You could try he
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_cafe_symbols.htm

Maybe it's only for well-dressed climbers?
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-06-05, Mark Carver wrote:
A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.

It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !

I suspect that there cannot be universal symbols, as they are dependent
on language and culture. Would, say, a crossed spanner and screwdriver
be universally understood?

Oddly some Worcester-Bosch boilers have both a spanner symbol on one
control and the top hat and ladder on another (both test/maintenance mode
controls). I was baffled by the top hat ones - I wondered if I was seeing
it wrong. Nice to have some sort of explanation, though you'd have hoped
organisations with a large UK presence might have clued up to the
obscurity of the German chimney-sweep logo.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

A stitch in time saves nine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05 Jun 2011 13:17:49 GMT, MJA wrote:

I suspect that to a German it would be a symbol for a chimney sweep,
and therefore mean "maintenance mode".

Yup. Generally the switch has the boiler run at full output, and dump the heat
in the heating system, summer or not. The chimney sweep here usually doesn't
bother, but just turns up the hot water while he does the required
CO/CO2/Oxygen/temperature thing on the flue gasses, and comes up with an
efficiency. Used to have an hourglass thingy with liquid innit and a squeeze
ball and tables and all, now just has a boxy thing in a case with LCD display.
Used to have a cash register strip printout, now goes straight to Excel or
whatever.

And he does wear a black outfit like the one in the article, but no top hat. He
does come with a little ladder to get him up the last bit on the chimney with
his brushes and ropes and all.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2011 12:09, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.
It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !

http://www.markyboy.net/Top-hat+ladder.jpg

Why, and what does it all mean ?

https://groups.google.com/group/uk.d...76a561cb?hl=en

That post was by Ed Sirett, who used to post here frequently but hasn't
been seen for several years.

Anyone know what happened to him?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

On 05/06/2011 12:09, Andy Burns wrote:

https://groups.google.com/group/uk.d...76a561cb?hl=en

That post was by Ed Sirett, who used to post here frequently

I know, I remembered something being posted about the chimney sweep
icon and sought it out ...

but hasn't been seen for several years. Anyone know what happened to
him?

Last here ~3 years ago? He seems to have gone to the dark side ...

http://en-gb.facebook.com/people/Ed-...00000265528430

[looks younger than I imagined he would]

You never saw the photos of the group meet?

Does anyone know whereabouts in cyberspace they are?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:
Andy Burns wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

On 05/06/2011 12:09, Andy Burns wrote:

https://groups.google.com/group/uk.d...76a561cb?hl=en

That post was by Ed Sirett, who used to post here frequently

I know, I remembered something being posted about the chimney sweep
icon and sought it out ...

but hasn't been seen for several years. Anyone know what happened to
him?

Last here ~3 years ago? He seems to have gone to the dark side ...

http://en-gb.facebook.com/people/Ed-...00000265528430

[looks younger than I imagined he would]

You never saw the photos of the group meet?

Does anyone know whereabouts in cyberspace they are?

They're here (but taken bu Geoff, not me)...
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/diy_london/

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MJA writes:

I suspect that there cannot be universal symbols, as they are
dependent on language and culture. Would, say, a crossed spanner and
screwdriver be universally understood?

Years ago when I worked for GPT, they produced a piece of equipment
which had green light to indicate all was OK, a thumbs-up sign shape.
Anyway, it turns out that in some European country, thumbs-up means
f**k-you.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

You never saw the photos of the group meet?

Does anyone know whereabouts in cyberspace they are?

They're here (but taken bu Geoff, not me)...
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/diy_london/

Thanks Andrew.

A shame that the meets are too far away for me. Although I have had the
pleasure to call in and meet some regular posters around the country when
work takes me near to where they live.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2011 19:25, ARWadsworth wrote:

Years ago when I worked for GPT, they produced a piece of equipment
which had green light to indicate all was OK, a thumbs-up sign shape.
Anyway, it turns out that in some European country, thumbs-up means
f**k-you.

Apparently thumbing a lift in Greece can be hazardous. Though from what
I hear of their driving it may not be the sign that's the problem

I have never heard that one! I am used to the Europeans not knowing the V
sign.

And that one supposedly comes from the French treatment for English
archers - cut off two of their fingers and they can't shoot any more.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:00:26 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.

It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !

See pictu-

http://www.markyboy.net/Top-hat+ladder.jpg

Why, and what does it all mean ?

You press + and - simultaneously to put the boiler's control computer
into 'game mode'. Choose from Monopoly or Donkey Kong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 5, 2011 at 12:00:26 PM UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.

It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !

See pictu-

http://www.markyboy.net/Top-hat+ladder.jpg

Why, and what does it all mean ?

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk

What the absolute HELL is this top hat and ladder? WOW, I mean, its bad enough we don't have any heating, whats worse is we can't understand a thing thats going on because were not in the monopoly game. Why? I can't understand, I am not a monopoly sized human, nor thimble, nor boot, nor battle ship. Please send help, SOS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Way back in 2011, Mark Carver wrote:

A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.
It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !
http://www.markyboy.net/Top-hat+ladder.jpg

What the absolute HELL is this top hat and ladder?

Maybe it's a German boiler and it refers to sending a chimney sweep up
onto the roof? maybe you press those two buttons together to disable the
boiler during flue cleaning?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&q=german+chimney+sweep

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 21:58:26 +0000, Andy Burns
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

wrote:

Way back in 2011, Mark Carver wrote:

A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.
It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !
http://www.markyboy.net/Top-hat+ladder.jpg

What the absolute HELL is this top hat and ladder?

Maybe it's a German boiler and it refers to sending a chimney sweep up
onto the roof? maybe you press those two buttons together to disable the
boiler during flue cleaning?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&q=german+chimney+sweep

According to the 7th post here that's EXCATLY what it's for.

https://tinyurl.com/ycoab37c
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Obviously since 2011, you have gone around the bend.

It obviously means that people wearing top hats cannot go down the chinmey
and should use the ladder.
:-)
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
On Sunday, June 5, 2011 at 12:00:26 PM UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.

It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !

See pictu-

http://www.markyboy.net/Top-hat+ladder.jpg

Why, and what does it all mean ?

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk

What the absolute HELL is this top hat and ladder? WOW, I mean, its bad
enough we don't have any heating, whats worse is we can't understand a thing
thats going on because were not in the monopoly game. Why? I can't
understand, I am not a monopoly sized human, nor thimble, nor boot, nor
battle ship. Please send help, SOS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 14:43:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, June 5, 2011 at 12:00:26 PM UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.

It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !

See pictu-

http://www.markyboy.net/Top-hat+ladder.jpg

Why, and what does it all mean ?

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk

What the absolute HELL is this top hat and ladder? WOW, I mean, its bad enough we don't have any heating, whats worse is we can't understand a thing thats going on because were not in the monopoly game. Why? I can't understand, I am not a monopoly sized human, nor thimble, nor boot, nor battle ship. Please send help, SOS.

You are responding to a post made in 2011.

The symbol refers to a chimney sweep, and probably to settings that are to be
set by someone who knows what they are doing, and possibly measuring what they
are doing.

http://www.duden.de/_media_/small/S/Schornsteinfeger-201020475288.jpg

The small ladder is to get to the top of the chimney from the roof, rope and
brush, etc. The CO2 analyzer, IR thermometers, soot analyzer, laptop ... are
left outside the photo for picturesqueness. Also the crystal ball that tells the
sweep whether you are having a problem with a gas, oil, wood fired heater, etc.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 21:58:26 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

maybe you press those two buttons together to disable the
boiler during flue cleaning?

More likely to call for maximum output, sweeps measure CO/CO2 and flue temps and
calculate the efficiency of the boilers at that operating point.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

wrote:

On Sunday, June 5, 2011 at 12:00:26 PM UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.

It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !

See pictu-

http://www.markyboy.net/Top-hat+ladder.jpg

Why, and what does it all mean ?

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk

What the absolute HELL is this top hat and ladder? WOW, I mean, its bad
enough we don't have any heating, whats worse is we can't understand a
thing thats going on because were not in the monopoly game. Why? I can't
understand, I am not a monopoly sized human, nor thimble, nor boot, nor
battle ship. Please send help, SOS.

This typifies everything that is bad about icons. I'm sure it was very
obvious to the person who designed the icons that a top hat and a ladder
"obviously" signify whatever it is that they signify. But I haven't a clue.
Maybe there's a vague association between a ladder and a tradesman - as in
"don't do this yourself, get a skilled heating engineer". What's the
significance of the rocket that's been crossed-out (above the "-"). And the
person symbol - what is the meaning of that in the context of a boiler? The
circle with a triangle inside (top display) is probably the timer, but
what's the double-triangle to its right?

I have no problem with well-known icons like the play/ff/rew/pause icons on
tape recorders, CD players etc; the petrol pump symbol on a car's fuel
gauge; - and + for decreasing and increasing a quantity. But there are many
icons where I can't even work out what the icon depicts, never mind what it
signifies.

I'd like to see greater use made of words - maybe in addition to icons.
Being English, I'd make a case for those words being English, not only
because it's my language but also because it's probably the most
commonly-understood second language. At least you can look up a work in a
dictionary (assuming you know what language it is!) whereas you can't look
up an icon in an alphabetic list.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, we still have an icon of a steam engine on road signs
that warn of a railway line. I did wonder just the other day
how long it will be before kids don't even recognise the
steam loco. But when I tried to come up with something more
modern, that's a bit of a problem given that modern diesel
electric locos don't look that different to a bus with an icon.

I have no problem with well-known icons like the play/ff/rew/pause icons
on tape recorders, CD players etc; the petrol pump symbol on a car's fuel
gauge; - and + for decreasing and increasing a quantity. But there are
many icons where I can't even work out what the icon depicts, never mind
what it signifies.

I'd like to see greater use made of words - maybe in addition to icons.

Not really that viable in some situations like the smaller road signs.
And that wouldn't work very well in foreign countrys for me.

Being English, I'd make a case for those words being English, not only
because it's my language but also because it's probably the most
commonly-understood second language.

But not that viable compared with the best icons.

I still remember tearing along in one of the massive
great multilane tunnels south of Sydney with a sign
saying DRS only on one lane. Had no idea at all what
DRS meant. Turns out it's the name of a suburb or area.

At least you can look up a work in a dictionary (assuming you know what
language it is!)

Not really that practical for road signs.

whereas you can't look up an icon in an alphabetic list.

But you can look them up on a page of icons if
there arent too many of them and presumably
it would be feasible to have an app on your
phone that you can use to tell you what it means.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2017 19:43, Rod Speed wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

I'd like to see greater use made of words - maybe in addition to icons.

Not really that viable in some situations like the smaller road signs.
And that wouldn't work very well in foreign countrys for me.

Being English, I'd make a case for those words being English, not only
because it's my language but also because it's probably the most
commonly-understood second language.

But not that viable compared with the best icons.

I still remember tearing along in one of the massive
great multilane tunnels south of Sydney with a sign
saying DRS only on one lane. Had no idea at all what
DRS meant. Turns out it's the name of a suburb or area.

If you drive in South England you might be puzzled by lanes marked Soton.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 31/10/2017 19:43, Rod Speed wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

I'd like to see greater use made of words - maybe in addition to icons.

Not really that viable in some situations like the smaller road signs.
And that wouldn't work very well in foreign countrys for me.

Being English, I'd make a case for those words being English, not only
because it's my language but also because it's probably the most
commonly-understood second language.

But not that viable compared with the best icons.

I still remember tearing along in one of the massive
great multilane tunnels south of Sydney with a sign
saying DRS only on one lane. Had no idea at all what
DRS meant. Turns out it's the name of a suburb or area.

If you drive in South England you might be puzzled by lanes marked Soton.

I would indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 31/10/2017 19:43, Rod Speed wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

I'd like to see greater use made of words - maybe in addition to icons.

Not really that viable in some situations like the smaller road signs.
And that wouldn't work very well in foreign countrys for me.

Being English, I'd make a case for those words being English, not only
because it's my language but also because it's probably the most
commonly-understood second language.

But not that viable compared with the best icons.

I still remember tearing along in one of the massive
great multilane tunnels south of Sydney with a sign
saying DRS only on one lane. Had no idea at all what
DRS meant. Turns out it's the name of a suburb or area.

If you drive in South England you might be puzzled by lanes marked Soton.

I would indeed.

Should be So'ton being an abbreviation for Southampton !

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 31/10/2017 19:43, Rod Speed wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

I'd like to see greater use made of words - maybe in addition to icons.

Not really that viable in some situations like the smaller road signs.
And that wouldn't work very well in foreign countrys for me.

Road signs are so widely known that you learn what they mean. Also, every
sign of a given type is the same as every other one: there aren't variants.
They aren't the problem.

The problem is the symbols on electrical and electronic equipment which are
unique to a given manufacturer; different manufacturers may use different
symbols for the same concept. That's where words in addition might be
useful.

If you drive in South England you might be puzzled by lanes marked Soton.

Yes, I've always thought that they'd have done better to use an abbreviation
that includes "South" or "Sth" since both of those are easier for the
uninitiated to relate to Southampton.

The ultimate WTF signs that I saw in America (in various small towns in
Massachussetts) were signs saying "PED XING". It took me ages to work out
that this was an arcane abbreviation for "PEDESTRIAN CROSSING", especially
as their crossings are marked with two faded white lines across the road
rather than alternating black/white zebra stripes, and that they don't have
flashing lights on poles. I found it very hard to spot a crossing if there
was no PED XING sign in advance, and so know that I had to give way to
pedestrians there. Mind you I did notice that in towns, drivers were far
more likely to give way to pedestrians who were waiting on the kerb (not at
a PED XING) than we would in the UK where drivers rarely give way unless a
pedestrian actually starts to cross - and even then he may get hooted as the
driver is (reluctantly) stopping to let them across. An odd mixture - very
laid back in small towns, but ultra strict about jaywalking in a city like
Boston - woe betide anyone who crosses before the WALK sign when it's safe
to do so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 21:05:05 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 31/10/2017 19:43, Rod Speed wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

I'd like to see greater use made of words - maybe in addition to
icons.

Not really that viable in some situations like the smaller road signs.
And that wouldn't work very well in foreign countrys for me.

Being English, I'd make a case for those words being English, not only
because it's my language but also because it's probably the most
commonly-understood second language.

But not that viable compared with the best icons.

I still remember tearing along in one of the massive great multilane
tunnels south of Sydney with a sign saying DRS only on one lane. Had no
idea at all what DRS meant. Turns out it's the name of a suburb or
area.

If you drive in South England you might be puzzled by lanes marked
Soton.

And Bton.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
news
"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 31/10/2017 19:43, Rod Speed wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I'd like to see greater use made of words - maybe in addition to
icons.

Not really that viable in some situations like the smaller road signs.
And that wouldn't work very well in foreign countrys for me.

Being English, I'd make a case for those words being English, not only
because it's my language but also because it's probably the most
commonly-understood second language.

But not that viable compared with the best icons.

I still remember tearing along in one of the massive
great multilane tunnels south of Sydney with a sign
saying DRS only on one lane. Had no idea at all what
DRS meant. Turns out it's the name of a suburb or area.

If you drive in South England you might be puzzled by lanes marked
Soton.

I would indeed.

Should be So'ton being an abbreviation for Southampton !

Yeah, ours is similar. Cant actually find it on the street view
and too lazy to virtually drive the whole way from the airport
to the CBD which is where it is, in one of the tunnels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2017 00:48, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 21:05:05 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 31/10/2017 19:43, Rod Speed wrote:
"NY" wrote in message

[...]

I still remember tearing along in one of the massive great multilane
tunnels south of Sydney with a sign saying DRS only on one lane. Had no
idea at all what DRS meant. Turns out it's the name of a suburb or
area.

If you drive in South England you might be puzzled by lanes marked
Soton.

And Bton.

Is that Brighton or Bolton? Either way hardly worth abbreviating.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Nov 2017 11:26:00 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 01/11/2017 00:48, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 21:05:05 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 31/10/2017 19:43, Rod Speed wrote:
"NY" wrote in message

[...]

I still remember tearing along in one of the massive great multilane
tunnels south of Sydney with a sign saying DRS only on one lane. Had
no idea at all what DRS meant. Turns out it's the name of a suburb or
area.

If you drive in South England you might be puzzled by lanes marked
Soton.

And Bton.

Is that Brighton or Bolton? Either way hardly worth abbreviating.

Brighton. You used to get trains at Bton Stn.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/2017 21:43, wrote:
On Sunday, June 5, 2011 at 12:00:26 PM UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.

It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !

See pictu-

http://www.markyboy.net/Top-hat+ladder.jpg

Why, and what does it all mean ?

-- Mark Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to
reply.

www.paras.org.uk

What the absolute HELL is this top hat and ladder? WOW, I mean, its
bad enough we don't have any heating, whats worse is we can't
understand a thing thats going on because were not in the monopoly
game. Why? I can't understand, I am not a monopoly sized human, nor
thimble, nor boot, nor battle ship. Please send help, SOS.

Its probably supposed to symbolise a chimney sweep... Vaillant boilers
have a diagnostic mode where you can get them to run the fan at max
speed to attempt to blow anything out of the flue that should not be there.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes

Its probably supposed to symbolise a chimney sweep... Vaillant boilers
have a diagnostic mode where you can get them to run the fan at max
speed to attempt to blow anything out of the flue that should not be
there.

Probably right, given that the top hat is the traditional sign of a
chimney sweep.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , John Rumm
writes

Its probably supposed to symbolise a chimney sweep... Vaillant boilers
have a diagnostic mode where you can get them to run the fan at max speed
to attempt to blow anything out of the flue that should not be there.

Probably right, given that the top hat is the traditional sign of a
chimney sweep.

Is it? I never knew that. A chimney sweep's brush (long pole with a ring of
bristles at right angles to the shaft) would have been a much better icon
for them to use.

If they allowed speech bubbles as well, the sweep could be saying "this is a
right PILLOCK of a job", which is the phrase a chimney sweep used every few
minutes to describe the problems of sweeping our chimney which goes up and
then bends at 45 degrees in two directions, making it difficult for him to
reach some of the soot to shovel it out into the bag after he'd loosened it
with the brush. Now whenever I don't want to do a difficult job, I have a
standing joke with my wife: "it'll be a right pillock of a job" :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , John Rumm
writes

Its probably supposed to symbolise a chimney sweep... Vaillant boilers
have a diagnostic mode where you can get them to run the fan at max speed
to attempt to blow anything out of the flue that should not be there.

Probably right, given that the top hat is the traditional sign of a
chimney sweep.

Is it? I never knew that.

Did they really all wear top hats ? Even the kids ? Hardly any of these do
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...sweep&tbm=isch

A chimney sweep's brush (long pole with a ring of bristles at right angles
to the shaft) would have been a much better icon for them to use.

Dunno, less clear how many know they use brushes like that or have ever
seen any chimney sweep with any of its tools at all, let alone working.

If they allowed speech bubbles as well, the sweep could be saying "this is
a right PILLOCK of a job", which is the phrase a chimney sweep used every
few minutes to describe the problems of sweeping our chimney which goes up
and then bends at 45 degrees in two directions, making it difficult for
him to reach some of the soot to shovel it out into the bag after he'd
loosened it with the brush.

Trouble is today it would be in polish or
romanian and no one would understand it.

Now whenever I don't want to do a difficult job, I have a standing joke
with my wife: "it'll be a right pillock of a job" :-)

I'd have you publicly flogged if you hadn't so obviously enjoyed it the last
time, boy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Be careful what you wish for, Vaillant in general tend to go for rather
Germanic English at times. For example, low primary system pressure on
the boiler is reported on the remote weather compensator / prog stat
with the elegant "service heat generator" message ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

OT Label Maker Metspitzer Home Repair 5 July 7th 10 10:24 PM
wire label coating Karl Townsend Metalworking 20 March 31st 09 05:12 AM
If You Label, They Will Crush George Woodworking 34 December 5th 05 12:09 AM
Hardware Label bubbalouie Woodworking 25 December 5th 04 06:48 PM