Posted to uk.d-i-y
YAPH YAPH is offline

Default Odd label on Boiler

On 2011-06-05, Mark Carver wrote:
A friend is puzzled by a symbol on his new boiler's control panel.

It shows a Top Hat and Ladder ? !

I suspect that there cannot be universal symbols, as they are dependent
on language and culture. Would, say, a crossed spanner and screwdriver
be universally understood?

Oddly some Worcester-Bosch boilers have both a spanner symbol on one
control and the top hat and ladder on another (both test/maintenance mode
controls). I was baffled by the top hat ones - I wondered if I was seeing
it wrong. Nice to have some sort of explanation, though you'd have hoped
organisations with a large UK presence might have clued up to the
obscurity of the German chimney-sweep logo.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

A stitch in time saves nine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.