Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Odd label on Boiler

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 31/10/2017 19:43, Rod Speed wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

I'd like to see greater use made of words - maybe in addition to icons.

Not really that viable in some situations like the smaller road signs.
And that wouldn't work very well in foreign countrys for me.

Road signs are so widely known that you learn what they mean. Also, every
sign of a given type is the same as every other one: there aren't variants.
They aren't the problem.

The problem is the symbols on electrical and electronic equipment which are
unique to a given manufacturer; different manufacturers may use different
symbols for the same concept. That's where words in addition might be
useful.

If you drive in South England you might be puzzled by lanes marked Soton.

Yes, I've always thought that they'd have done better to use an abbreviation
that includes "South" or "Sth" since both of those are easier for the
uninitiated to relate to Southampton.

The ultimate WTF signs that I saw in America (in various small towns in
Massachussetts) were signs saying "PED XING". It took me ages to work out
that this was an arcane abbreviation for "PEDESTRIAN CROSSING", especially
as their crossings are marked with two faded white lines across the road
rather than alternating black/white zebra stripes, and that they don't have
flashing lights on poles. I found it very hard to spot a crossing if there
was no PED XING sign in advance, and so know that I had to give way to
pedestrians there. Mind you I did notice that in towns, drivers were far
more likely to give way to pedestrians who were waiting on the kerb (not at
a PED XING) than we would in the UK where drivers rarely give way unless a
pedestrian actually starts to cross - and even then he may get hooted as the
driver is (reluctantly) stopping to let them across. An odd mixture - very
laid back in small towns, but ultra strict about jaywalking in a city like
Boston - woe betide anyone who crosses before the WALK sign when it's safe
to do so.