Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Label Maker

I would like to have a portable label maker to label my cell phone and
some ac switches I have for computer equipment.

It is hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones online. Anyone
care to recommend one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-05, DanG wrote:
I have a P-touch made by brother. I have no complaints.

I was wondering if Brother made label makers. I have a printer and a
fax machine from Brother. Both outstanding.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a P-touch made by brother. I have no complaints.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
I would like to have a portable label maker to label my cell
phone and
some ac switches I have for computer equipment.

It is hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones online.
Anyone
care to recommend one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like the one made by Brother from Staples. Both white background/
black letters, or clear with black available. VERY handy. Runs on a
fist full of AA batteries, which I haven't had to replace in a couple
of years of use. This model (in the kitchen, at the other end of the
house), is about 6" across.

/paul W3FIS
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 5:00*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I would like to have a portable label maker to label my cell phone and
some ac switches I have for computer equipment.

It is hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones online. *Anyone
care to recommend one?

First, check out the stock of label tape that's available, for cost
and multiple sizes and colours. No sense getting a label maker for
which you can't get the tape you'd like, or for which the tape is so
expensive you don't use it. Even if you get the maker and an initial
supply of tape online, you're probably going to be happier if you can
get the tape locally when you run out.

Second, I'd recommend getting one with an AC adapter, unless you
really expect to be using the thing where there's no power.

If most of your labeling is going to be one-off ad-hoc stuff, then a
computer interface is probably of little value. If you're going to be
printing long error-prone serial numbers or SKUs that are already in a
spreadsheet or database, then you'll probably want one that hooks up.

Chip C
Toronto

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2010 5:00 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I would like to have a portable label maker to label my cell phone and
some ac switches I have for computer equipment.

It is hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones online. Anyone
care to recommend one?

I have a Brother P-Touch Model PT-1950. They probably don't make that
particular model anymore but you should be able to find something very
similar.

The best features:

1) Can use either batteries or AC power.

2) Can use any font found on your computer by hooking it directly to
Brother's editor software via a mini-USB cable. I use this feature more
than any other by far. If you use it portably, you're limited to the
two fonts preloaded into the label maker.

3) Tapes are readily available in sizes up to 3/4" wide. I use 3/8" and
3/4" more than any others. I've never been in an office supply that
didn't sell P-Touch tapes.

4) Tapes are available in a variety of colors. I use a 3/4" black tape
with gold lettering in the car and it looks like Ford printed it. I've
also got a selection of white tapes and one roll of red over clear tape.

I don't suggest you buy a cheaper model because you'll probably end up
regretting the loss in capability. Being able to link up to the
computer means that you could even print a Word document if you wanted
to... just select the brother printer instead of your usual HP or
whatever you've got. It's just slick.

Jay