Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Hanig[_3_] Jay Hanig[_3_] is offline

Default OT Label Maker

On 7/4/2010 5:00 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I would like to have a portable label maker to label my cell phone and
some ac switches I have for computer equipment.

It is hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones online. Anyone
care to recommend one?

I have a Brother P-Touch Model PT-1950. They probably don't make that
particular model anymore but you should be able to find something very
similar.

The best features:

1) Can use either batteries or AC power.

2) Can use any font found on your computer by hooking it directly to
Brother's editor software via a mini-USB cable. I use this feature more
than any other by far. If you use it portably, you're limited to the
two fonts preloaded into the label maker.

3) Tapes are readily available in sizes up to 3/4" wide. I use 3/8" and
3/4" more than any others. I've never been in an office supply that
didn't sell P-Touch tapes.

4) Tapes are available in a variety of colors. I use a 3/4" black tape
with gold lettering in the car and it looks like Ford printed it. I've
also got a selection of white tapes and one roll of red over clear tape.

I don't suggest you buy a cheaper model because you'll probably end up
regretting the loss in capability. Being able to link up to the
computer means that you could even print a Word document if you wanted
to... just select the brother printer instead of your usual HP or
whatever you've got. It's just slick.

Jay