Karl Vorwerk

Default roovers label maker

I'm cleaning a Roovers label maker. It needed lubing. I've got it feeding
and printing OK but when I cut the AL ribbon the pin punch for the hole
snags the tag preventing release. I think it's rust on the punch snagging
the AL and a dull punch. The hole is a little short of a clean cut.
Any quick fixes? Odds are it will go back in service with a screwdriver
beside it to pop out the label. Here's a link to a similar one:
http://www.coutant.org/adolf/3821.jpg
Thanks
Karl

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Karl Vorwerk wrote:
I'm cleaning a Roovers label maker. It needed lubing. I've got it feeding
and printing OK but when I cut the AL ribbon the pin punch for the hole
snags the tag preventing release. I think it's rust on the punch snagging
the AL and a dull punch. The hole is a little short of a clean cut.
Any quick fixes?

Can you remove the punch, grind it back a bit, and still have
enough length to make it work?

If not, can you remove it, and make a replacement using drill
rod? (You have a lathe if necessary? How about the ability to heat
treat it? I would suggest an air-hardening drill rod in the absence of
proper heat treating facilities. Remember to draw the temper as
appropriate after the hardening phase. Robin will probably have the
proper target hardness for such a punch. Otherwise, look it up in
_Machinery's Handbook_)

Odds are it will go back in service with a screwdriver
beside it to pop out the label. Here's a link to a similar one:
http://www.coutant.org/adolf/3821.jpg

I would like to have one of those, but I don't at present.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Roger Shoaf

A couple of ideas for you. The punch is probably dull and that should be
able to be sharpened, the die may be a little dull also You might be able
to carefully dress the punch on a bench grinder, and the die you can
probably lap. You might have to shim a little to make this work after
sharpening.

Second Idea is to take it to a tool and die man. To him whipping this into
shape is a trifle, and you can offer to trade foundry service for his
skills. Those arrangements usually work out to be a win win situation.

To make a full job of this you might even consider japanning the castings.
Japanning is a real hard shiny black finish that looks like a million bucks.
check out:

http://www.cranialstorage.com/wood/html/japanning.html
--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message
I'm cleaning a Roovers label maker. It needed lubing. I've got it feeding
and printing OK but when I cut the AL ribbon the pin punch for the hole
snags the tag preventing release. I think it's rust on the punch snagging
the AL and a dull punch. The hole is a little short of a clean cut.
Any quick fixes? Odds are it will go back in service with a screwdriver
beside it to pop out the label. Here's a link to a similar one:
http://www.coutant.org/adolf/3821.jpg
Thanks
Karl

Karl Vorwerk

That site wasn't mine. I just had an example of the press. I haven't done
any casting in years and only amateur stuff.
I'm not sure if there's enough material to sharpen it. It's now officially
on the back burner as I have to get five rental units ready to rent, one by
Wednesday and a house ready to move into by Monday. None of them mine
unfortunately.
Thanks for the ideas. It's good to bounce stuff off people here for ideas.
Thanks
Karl

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
[...]

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
they come up with this striped stuff.
"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message
I'm cleaning a Roovers label maker. It needed lubing. I've got it feeding
and printing OK but when I cut the AL ribbon the pin punch for the hole
snags the tag preventing release. I think it's rust on the punch
snagging
the AL and a dull punch. The hole is a little short of a clean cut.
Any quick fixes? Odds are it will go back in service with a screwdriver
beside it to pop out the label. Here's a link to a similar one:
http://www.coutant.org/adolf/3821.jpg
Thanks
Karl

Roger Shoaf

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message
That site wasn't mine. I just had an example of the press. I haven't done
any casting in years and only amateur stuff.
I'm not sure if there's enough material to sharpen it.

If the punch comes up a little short, you might see if you can shim it down
to compensate. Or you might just be able to make a new punch.

If you don't do any casting, why do you need this machine? (Other than the
obvious because guys like cool things like tools.)

[...]

Karl Vorwerk

It's not my machine. I'm fixing it for a horticulture professor friend who
uses it to tag his plants. I had a few minutes today and actually looked at
it. Nice simple workmanship. The problem is a broken off piece in the sheet
metal disk that's the die to press the numbers and letters. The punch
normally retracts past it to release the tag from the punch. I'll see if I
can have him get his civil service guys to weld a little piece of metal to
replace it. I get to make all the AL tags I want till he picks it up. I'm
having this urge to tag everything I own. He's bringing another one for me
to fix when he picks it up.