SCRealtor

Default Ice Maker frustrations!

I purchased a fridge (Kenmore) made in 1998 this weekend. Before I
moved the fridge the ice had to be dumped from the ice bin. The bin
was 100% full. I get home hook up my water lines, test for leaks,
power the fridge up, test the water from the door where the cup goes.
Everything works great except for the ice maker. The ice maker is
powered up and rotating but little to no water is making it in the
fill tray inside the icemaker. What gets me is, the door water works.
I know the supply line is not clogged for the door. Now I removed the
supply line (plastic one) on the back of the fridge and put it down in
to a trashcan to test for flow once the ice maker kicked in. No
water. The plastic line isn't blocked to the ice maker that I can
see. I looked further into the celenoid fill valve. It has 2, one
for the door, one for the icemaker. (I'm assuming)

My question I guess is, could it be that the freezer side valve is
bad, but the door valve isn't? I would think the whole thing would be
bad. That's where I'm stumped because one seems to work, the other
doesn't (icemaker valve).

Anyone help?
PAUL100

[...]

you might have to wait until the temp of the freezer gets lower enough to allow
water to flow into the ice maker
Edwin Pawlowski

SCRealtor wrote:

My question I guess is, could it be that the freezer side valve is
bad, but the door valve isn't? I would think the whole thing would be
bad. That's where I'm stumped because one seems to work, the other
doesn't (icemaker valve).

Anyone help?

Be sure the arm in the ice bin is in the down position. If it is, wait at
least 12, maybe 24 hours and check. It can take quite a while for it to get
cold and run a cycle.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

TURTLE

"SCRealtor" wrote in message ...
[...]

This is Turtle.

There is the thermostat in the ice maker that will turn it'self off at +12ºF or above. Until the freezer section gets well below
12ºF the ice make will not fill or do anything. When this thermostat is satisfied, it will fill and start a cycle. Until then you
will have to just wait till this happens and start the cycle. now if it has not begun a cycle in 24 hours and does have the level
down. You may have a problem but until then you don't know.

TURTLE

---

jeff

SCRealtor wrote in message . ..

Hi,

I purchased a fridge (Kenmore) made in 1998 this weekend.

Model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html

[...]

Yes.

I would think the whole thing would be
bad. That's where I'm stumped because one seems to work, the other
doesn't (icemaker valve).

Is the freezer below 15ºF to cycle the icemaker?
When the icemaker goes through it's cycle it should send power to the
fill valve for approx 6-9 seconds at the end of the icemakers harvest.
Power at the fill valve but no water would indicate a problem with the
fill valve, no power may be a broken/off wire or problem with the
acual icemaker.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

ZsaZsa

"jeff" wrote in message
m...
SCRealtor wrote in message

. ..

Hi,

[...]

I'm voting for the arm solution.

We have a Kenmore of the same age and it just stopped making ice one day.
Somehow the arm got pushed up.

It does take awhile to fill after that, but it was a cool moment when one of
us noticed that first happy sound of an ice cube dumping into the tray. All
systems back to normal!

SCRealtor

Well I wish it was that easy, but the arm is down, the ice maker gears
are rotating. I'm now leaning towards a bad celenoid. Anyone have a
clue if I can get one of these at lows or home depot?

Hi,

[...]

SCRealtor

Jeff, if the fill vavle is bad, could I hear the electronics trying to
request the vavle open up? I hear nothing. I've checked the plugs on
the dual vavle, both are connected firmly. Like I said, the door
dispenser works like a charm but little to no water is coming into the
tray. I keep leaning toward it being the vavle but my better half is
saying, don't attempt the repair!

My question I guess is, could it be that the freezer side valve is
bad, but the door valve isn't?

Yes.

I would think the whole thing would be
bad. That's where I'm stumped because one seems to work, the other
doesn't (icemaker valve).

Is the freezer below 15ºF to cycle the icemaker?
When the icemaker goes through it's cycle it should send power to the
fill valve for approx 6-9 seconds at the end of the icemakers harvest.
Power at the fill valve but no water would indicate a problem with the
fill valve, no power may be a broken/off wire or problem with the
acual icemaker.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

SCRealtor

This is Turtle.

There is the thermostat in the ice maker that will turn it'self off at +12ºF or above. Until the freezer section gets well below
12ºF the ice make will not fill or do anything. When this thermostat is satisfied, it will fill and start a cycle. Until then you
will have to just wait till this happens and start the cycle. now if it has not begun a cycle in 24 hours and does have the level
down. You may have a problem but until then you don't know.

TURTLE

Turtle, thanks for responding. Ok so I'll put it at it's coldest
setting now and will watch it closely. What if I had hollow ice cubes
though yesterday? It was dumping maybe 3 cubes every 2 hours. They
were weak cubes though. Still could be temp?

Scott

Edwin Pawlowski

"SCRealtor" wrote in message

Well I wish it was that easy, but the arm is down, the ice maker gears
are rotating. I'm now leaning towards a bad celenoid. Anyone have a
clue if I can get one of these at lows or home depot?

What you mean is a Solenoid valve.

You can get more information at www.repairclinic.com They have a
troubleshooting guide and also sell parts if you don't have a local dealer.
Ed

jeff

SCRealtor wrote in message . ..
Jeff, if the fill vavle is bad, could I hear the electronics trying to
request the vavle open up? I hear nothing. I've checked the plugs on
the dual vavle, both are connected firmly. Like I said, the door
dispenser works like a charm but little to no water is coming into the
tray. I keep leaning toward it being the vavle but my better half is
saying, don't attempt the repair!

Hi,

Would depend on if the fill valve was mechanically or electrically
failing. If good water pressure/flow comming into the valve and the
valve receives power from the icemaker but no water flow would/should
indicate a bad valve.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
William W. Plummer

"jeff" wrote in message
om...
SCRealtor wrote in message

. ..
Jeff, if the fill vavle is bad, could I hear the electronics trying to
request the vavle open up? I hear nothing. I've checked the plugs on
the dual vavle, both are connected firmly. Like I said, the door
dispenser works like a charm but little to no water is coming into the
tray. I keep leaning toward it being the vavle but my better half is
saying, don't attempt the repair!

Hi,

Would depend on if the fill valve was mechanically or electrically
failing. If good water pressure/flow comming into the valve and the
valve receives power from the icemaker but no water flow would/should
indicate a bad valve.

Check to see if the water fill tube is clear. Mine freezes occasionally.
Use hot water to get the ice out.

Dan O.

William W. Plummer wrote

Check to see if the water fill tube is clear.
Mine freezes occasionally.

If your icemaker's fill tube is continually (ie. more than once)
freezing closed, you should check the water supply to make sure it is
of sufficient pressure to keep the water valve closed and not allowing
a trickle of water through which freezes.

Reduced water pressure often occurs if a 'self piercing' saddle valve
was used or any type of saddle valve was mounted on the underside of
the house water pipe which can more easily become partially clogged
with lime and scale, etc. Such valves should only be installed on the
top side of a horizontal water pipe or the side of a vertical one if
not using a regular plumbing water valve.

Many of the fridge manufacturers have also come up with 'repair kits'
to correct occassional freeze-ups not due to low water pressure. They
range from just a redesigned fill tube to an electric heater which is
used to keep ice from forming.

JFYI

Dan O.
-