Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Label maker for outdoor labels

More than a year ago I bought a DYMO (tm) brand label maker because
one type of label available for it was a metallic tape that was
"weather proof". It wanted to put labels on plastic buckets I keep
outdoors. I discovered that while the labels might be "weather
proof", they were not "sun proof". After just a few months, the
labels turned so dark that I could no longer read them.

Is there a Label maker that makes labels that will remain legible
for at least two years even when they are exposed to sunlight for
several hours a day? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
More than a year ago I bought a DYMO (tm) brand label maker because
one type of label available for it was a metallic tape that was
"weather proof". It wanted to put labels on plastic buckets I keep
outdoors. I discovered that while the labels might be "weather
proof", they were not "sun proof". After just a few months, the
labels turned so dark that I could no longer read them.

Is there a Label maker that makes labels that will remain legible
for at least two years even when they are exposed to sunlight for
several hours a day? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Your fighting a losing battle, but you might find some tips here, about
halfway down the page:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2306/

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Daniel Prince wrote:

Is there a Label maker that makes labels that will remain legible
for at least two years even when they are exposed to sunlight for
several hours a day? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Seems easier to use a paint marker and write or to engrave and fill w/ a
contrasting paint...

Posted to alt.home.repair

More than a year ago I bought a DYMO (tm) brand label maker because
one type of label available for it was a metallic tape that was
"weather proof". It wanted to put labels on plastic buckets I keep
outdoors. I discovered that while the labels might be "weather
proof", they were not "sun proof". After just a few months, the
labels turned so dark that I could no longer read them.

Is there a Label maker that makes labels that will remain legible
for at least two years even when they are exposed to sunlight for
several hours a day? Thank you in advance for all replies.

*I have a Brother P Touch. I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that they
have labels in the TZ series that are UV resistant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:

More than a year ago I bought a DYMO (tm) brand label maker because
one type of label available for it was a metallic tape that was
"weather proof". It wanted to put labels on plastic buckets I keep
outdoors. I discovered that while the labels might be "weather
proof", they were not "sun proof". After just a few months, the
labels turned so dark that I could no longer read them.

Is there a Label maker that makes labels that will remain legible
for at least two years even when they are exposed to sunlight for
several hours a day? Thank you in advance for all replies.

*I have a Brother P Touch. I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that they
have labels in the TZ series that are UV resistant.

Depending on the surface of the bucket, a junkyard paint pen or a
Sharpie broad-tip marker. May need to scuff the bucket with steel wool
and degrease it first, to get either to make legible marks.

It's a bucket. Do the labels really need to be boardroom presentation
quality?

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:01:09 -0800, Daniel Prince
wrote:

More than a year ago I bought a DYMO (tm) brand label maker because
one type of label available for it was a metallic tape that was
"weather proof". It wanted to put labels on plastic buckets I keep
outdoors. I discovered that while the labels might be "weather
proof", they were not "sun proof". After just a few months, the
labels turned so dark that I could no longer read them.

Is there a Label maker that makes labels that will remain legible
for at least two years even when they are exposed to sunlight for
several hours a day? Thank you in advance for all replies.

A permanent magic marker should do the trick.