Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default AA batteries what is a full charge

Recently had a few probs with AA batteries for digi cam, the batteries are
probably 3 years old but have no idea on how often they have been recharged.
Recently after charging they dont last long (have ordered a couple of new
sets) Anyhow I have just recharged them all and on a multimeter thingy they
are showing 14V + or should that be 1.4 V, not too clever with these things
and how to set them.

Would this be a realistic voltage for freshly charged?
Other than when my digicam tells me `change the battery pack` after a few
pics is there any practical way to decide if the batteries are past their
best.
I am assuming the slight possibility of a camera fault, thats about 7 years
old.

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:
Recently had a few probs with AA batteries for digi cam, the batteries are
probably 3 years old but have no idea on how often they have been recharged.
Recently after charging they dont last long (have ordered a couple of new
sets) Anyhow I have just recharged them all and on a multimeter thingy they
are showing 14V + or should that be 1.4 V, not too clever with these things
and how to set them.

Would this be a realistic voltage for freshly charged?
Other than when my digicam tells me `change the battery pack` after a few
pics is there any practical way to decide if the batteries are past their
best.
I am assuming the slight possibility of a camera fault, thats about 7 years
old.

That's about the right voltage (1.4V) for MiMH batteries.

Under ideal conditions (Regular use, good charger....), you can get a
few hundred cycles from new, with gradual loss of capacity. Leave them
unused for a while, and they don't last as long.Try cycling them a few
times, and if they don't improve, then they're cheap enough to replace.
I'd only suspect a camera fault if the problem persists with a new set,
or if they go flat in the camera in less than a few days without using it.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
SS wrote:
[...]

When buying new ones go for the Sanyo Eneloop or similar.
http://www.eneloop.info/

They don't seem to lose their charge when not in use.

I would be inclined to try a couple of Duracell's before getting more
rechargeable batteries. See how they cope. It will provide a good benchmark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 6:00*pm, "SS" wrote:
Recently had a few probs with AA batteries for digi cam, the batteries are
probably 3 years old but have no idea on how often they have been recharged.
Recently after charging they dont last long (have ordered a couple of new
sets) Anyhow I have just recharged them all and on a multimeter thingy they
are showing 14V + or should that be 1.4 V, *not too clever with these things
and how to set them.

Would this be a realistic voltage for freshly charged?
Other than when my digicam tells me `change the battery pack` after a few
pics is there any practical way to decide if the batteries are past their
best.
I am assuming the slight possibility of a camera fault, thats about 7 years
old.

thanks

You haven't even told us whether they're NiCads or NiMHs. In any
case, perhaps you're coming at this from the wrong end. Anything
over 1.2volts might be reasonable, but that's an off-load voltage
you're measuring and what you should be interested in is an on-load
voltage.

Neither NiCads nor NiMH are all that suitable for cameras -- if you've
a camera that takes AA batteries, put in good-quality alkaline
batteries.

Your digicam is due for replacement, if it's done seven years. Make
sure your new one has a Lithium-ion battery built in and that it can
be charged in the camera. Far more suitable for camera use than NiMH
or NiCad.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, John MacLeod scribeth thus
On Jan 5, 6:00*pm, "SS" wrote:
[...]

Beg pardon .. but I've used Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Fuji
Finepix S1800 for some time now. They hold a very good charge are quite
cheap and work fine. The camera has a setting for the type of battery .

My wife's olde Canon uses the same with very good results too..

RS stock number 617-0773 if anyone wants some....

f you've
a camera that takes AA batteries, put in good-quality alkaline
batteries.

Your digicam is due for replacement, if it's done seven years. Make
sure your new one has a Lithium-ion battery built in and that it can
be charged in the camera. Far more suitable for camera use than NiMH
or NiCad.

John

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John MacLeod" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 6:00 pm, "SS" wrote:
[...]

I am using 1.2V 2800mAh HI-Mh .

The 7 year old is a canon A70 and although others may consider it for
replacement it still works for me.
I also use a Nikon D50 slr which would also be considred out of date. It
uses a battery pack which I assume will be AAs in disguise.

My out of date is when it stops working or doesnt do the job.
Not when a newer model becomes available.
:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2011 21:55, John MacLeod wrote:

You haven't even told us whether they're NiCads or NiMHs. In any
case, perhaps you're coming at this from the wrong end. Anything
over 1.2volts might be reasonable, but that's an off-load voltage
you're measuring and what you should be interested in is an on-load
voltage.

And the batteries ability to retain its charge, something that does
deteriorate with the age (or amount of use) of the batteries.

Neither NiCads nor NiMH are all that suitable for cameras -- if you've
a camera that takes AA batteries, put in good-quality alkaline
batteries.

Your digicam is due for replacement, if it's done seven years.

That would depend on the OP's requirements. If the camera does what he
needs it to do and produces results that meet his requirements why
should he change it?

Make
sure your new one has a Lithium-ion battery built in and that it can
be charged in the camera. Far more suitable for camera use than NiMH
or NiCad.

I'd disagree there. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries, if they run flat
it's a matter of moments to pop in a set of ready charged ones (or the
reserve set of unused Duracells I keep in the camera bag). Far better
than waiting for the internal battery to recharge and if you're half way
up a deserted mountainside that isn't even an option.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John MacLeod wrote:

Neither NiCads nor NiMH are all that suitable for cameras -- if you've
a camera that takes AA batteries, put in good-quality alkaline
batteries.

Surely depends on the camera, some are specifically designed to use
rechargeables (usually NiMh), I certainly wouldn't even consider a
camera that won't run well on rechargeables. My Fuji is perfectly
happy with them.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember John MacLeod
saying something like:

Neither NiCads nor NiMH are all that suitable for cameras -- if you've
a camera that takes AA batteries, put in good-quality alkaline
batteries.

Your digicam is due for replacement, if it's done seven years. Make
sure your new one has a Lithium-ion battery built in and that it can
be charged in the camera. Far more suitable for camera use than NiMH
or NiCad.

Lithium is lovely, to be sure.
However, NiMh was/is the preferred chemistry for numerous bridge Fujis
and the lesser Pentaxes and they last for hundreds of shots per charge.
Big advantage is; they can be recharged nearly anywhere, by several
means and at a pinch you can bung some alkalines in if you're stuck.
My ancient Fuji S7000 uses them and it's fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike
Clarke writes
On 05/01/2011 21:55, John MacLeod wrote:

Make
sure your new one has a Lithium-ion battery built in and that it can
be charged in the camera. Far more suitable for camera use than NiMH
or NiCad.

I'd disagree there. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries, if they run flat
it's a matter of moments to pop in a set of ready charged ones (or the
reserve set of unused Duracells I keep in the camera bag). Far better
than waiting for the internal battery to recharge and if you're half
way up a deserted mountainside that isn't even an option.

I wouldn't like a lithium that was built in, but ones that can be
removed and recharged are fine really. up until last year our compacts
always took AA's, and I preferred that. but they are disappearing from
the compact market it seems as cameras get smaller.

But I bought a spare (well after we lost the bag for a while with the
spare in we have 2) and it's been fine. and the advantage is that even
two spare batteries take up less space and are lighter than the
equivalent AA's

Though it does mean 'another charger' to take with us when we go away
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2011 22:32, Mike Clarke wrote:
Make
sure your new one has a Lithium-ion battery built in and that it can
be charged in the camera. Far more suitable for camera use than NiMH
or NiCad.

I'd disagree there. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries, if they run flat
it's a matter of moments to pop in a set of ready charged ones (or the
reserve set of unused Duracells I keep in the camera bag). Far better
than waiting for the internal battery to recharge and if you're half way
up a deserted mountainside that isn't even an option.

I used to agree with you, but since I got a camera which will take a
couple of hundred photos on a single charge of a battery which is
smaller and lighter than the AAs, I changed my mind. If I'm feeling keen
I'll take a spare on a mountain, but I've never used it and charging the
thing is just as effective.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:

My out of date is when it stops working or doesnt do the job.
Not when a newer model becomes available.
:-)

Your wife will be very pleased to hear you say that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 1:00*pm, "SS" wrote:
Recently had a few probs with AA batteries for digi cam, the batteries are
probably 3 years old but have no idea on how often they have been recharged.
Recently after charging they dont last long (have ordered a couple of new
sets) Anyhow I have just recharged them all and on a multimeter thingy they
are showing 14V + or should that be 1.4 V, *not too clever with these things
and how to set them.

Would this be a realistic voltage for freshly charged?
Other than when my digicam tells me `change the battery pack` after a few
pics is there any practical way to decide if the batteries are past their
best.
I am assuming the slight possibility of a camera fault, thats about 7 years
old.

thanks

Get yourself some NiMH. There's no need for eneloops, NiMH that dont
go flat quickly are common now.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 23:20:30 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

Anyhow I have just recharged them all and on a multimeter thingy

they
are showing 14V + or should that be 1.4 V,

1.4v is about right for a fresh from the charger battery.

Other than when my digicam tells me `change the battery pack`

after a
few pics is there any practical way to decide if the batteries are

past
their best.

You may just have one battery that has reached "end of life" or is
not taking as much charge as others. This one will go flat before the
other and the overall voltage will drop below that which the camera
will tolerate. Measure the voltage of each battery when the camera
objects, you'll proably find one at or below 1v with the others
around 1.2v

What action you take after that depends a bit on your charger. Does
it charge individual batteries or is it one that does them in pairs
or more? Is is it a really simple, manual charge for x hours type
with no built in timer or one with a timer or a decent one that
monitors each battery and charges each accordingly?

I'd throw away all rechargeables you may have, and replace with Sanyo
Eneloop or equivalent from other manufacturer.

I wouldn't do that, very little to gain and why throw out perfectly
functional batteries? Certainly when replacing truely dead ones go
for the low self discharge NiMH variety.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Skipweasel
writes
In article , newspost-c-
says...
I wouldn't like a lithium that was built in, but ones that can be
removed and recharged are fine really.

Just beware that some firms, like Panasonic, are locking their firmware
so that you can only use "genuine" Panasonic batteries and not the often
better aftermarket alternatives. That's OK to start with, but when you
decide you want a spare battery to go camping with you find they screw
you right-royally.

they try, not very successfully though it seems.

Our new Panny TZ10 is has such batteries, but you can get 3rd party
batteries that work fine in it
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 9:55*pm, John MacLeod wrote:
On Jan 5, 6:00*pm, "SS" wrote:

[...]

You don't want inbuilt batteries. If you have removeable batteries you
can just swop them when they go flat. Built in batteries, the camera
can't be used untill they are charged. Older cameras use far more
power than the new ones, you could never keep up with non-rechargeable
batteries cost wise.

Lithium rechargable batteries (you can get AA sized ones) hold about
three times the power of NMhs but they are a bout £7 for two last time
I looked.
If you are happy with the quality of your pictures no point in
changing cameras. It's a pain in the arse learning your way round the
programmes of a new camera with all the junk on them you don't need.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 13:55:32 -0800 (PST), John MacLeod wrote:

Your digicam is due for replacement, if it's done seven years.

Why? My digital camera is pushing ten years maybe more. It takes
pictures, what more do I want? It also has a "B" setting that most
digicameras these days don't have, useful for the aurora and 30 to 60
second exposures.

Make sure your new one has a Lithium-ion battery built in and that it
can be charged in the camera.

I have another camera with built in, custom, Lithium Ion battery and
it is a right royal PITA. More often than not it is virtually flat
when ever I want to take a photo. If I want to be sure of being able
to take more than 3 or 4 shots it has to be charged immediatly before
hand(*). Any new camera I get will take standard sized cells (AA or
AAA) at least then you can swap sets cheaply and in extremis get some
alkalines from almost any shop in the world...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 6:00*pm, "SS" wrote:

[...]

Unsuitable, how, if the camera is desinged to work on the lower
voltage?

-- if you've
a camera that takes AA batteries, put in good-quality alkaline
batteries.

Why? It's good to keep a set for emergency use.

Your digicam is due for replacement, if it's done seven years.

Why? Did the Op say the camera was broken?

*Make
sure your new one has a Lithium-ion battery built in and that it can
be charged in the camera. *Far more suitable for camera use than NiMH
or NiCad.

Please don't confuse personal opinion with facts.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Skipweasel
scribeth thus
In article , newspost-c-
says...
I wouldn't like a lithium that was built in, but ones that can be
removed and recharged are fine really.

Just beware that some firms, like Panasonic, are locking their firmware
so that you can only use "genuine" Panasonic batteries and not the often
better aftermarket alternatives. That's OK to start with, but when you
decide you want a spare battery to go camping with you find they screw
you right-royally.

They'd only do that the -once- here ..

When choosing a replacement camera the type of battery it took and what
could be used was quite a consideration....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim
Streater scribeth thus
In article ,
"SS" wrote:

Recently had a few probs with AA batteries for digi cam, the batteries are
probably 3 years old but have no idea on how often they have been recharged.
Recently after charging they dont last long (have ordered a couple of new
sets) Anyhow I have just recharged them all and on a multimeter thingy they
are showing 14V + or should that be 1.4 V, not too clever with these things
and how to set them.

Would this be a realistic voltage for freshly charged?
Other than when my digicam tells me `change the battery pack` after a few
pics is there any practical way to decide if the batteries are past their
best.
I am assuming the slight possibility of a camera fault, thats about 7 years
old.

I'd throw away all rechargeables you may have, and replace with Sanyo
Eneloop or equivalent from other manufacturer. These are a better
technology that don't lose their charge. They're sold already charged
up, in fact.

Well I'm not going the chuck them now as there're fine and do what I
need of them. but these new batts the missus has a portable audio
recorder thats got one I don't think shes re charged it as yet;!!...

I bought a set last Xmas for SWMBO from Amazon, they were made in July
2009, and as of now (Jan 2011) they're still showing charged in her
camera. She's taken a couple of hundred pix during the year she's had
them.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 01:57:44 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Streater
saying something like:

I'd throw away all rechargeables you may have, and replace with Sanyo
Eneloop or equivalent from other manufacturer. These are a better
technology that don't lose their charge. They're sold already charged
up, in fact.

I bought a set last Xmas for SWMBO from Amazon, they were made in July
2009, and as of now (Jan 2011) they're still showing charged in her
camera. She's taken a couple of hundred pix during the year she's had
them.

That's what I've done for the cameras which take them and for bicycle
lighting. It was a total pita finding the rechargeables had gone flat in
a few weeks of non-use and on one occasion finding the spare ones were
that way two.
I have some Eneloops, but I mainly have Vapex.

What are Eneloops like in flash guns? I've tried ordinary NiMhs but
they are hopeless.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 09:41:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

[...]

My Canon with custom LiIon battery pack works for months and several
hundred pics without needing charging. However it has to be charged
in a special charger so I would agree it would be better to take
standard sizes AA or AAA batteries.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Tabby saying
something like:

Get yourself some NiMH. There's no need for eneloops, NiMH that dont
go flat quickly are common now.

Otherwise known as Eneloop types.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2011 01:57, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Streater
saying something like:

I'd throw away all rechargeables you may have, and replace with Sanyo
Eneloop or equivalent from other manufacturer. These are a better
technology that don't lose their charge. They're sold already charged
up, in fact.

I bought a set last Xmas for SWMBO from Amazon, they were made in July
2009, and as of now (Jan 2011) they're still showing charged in her
camera. She's taken a couple of hundred pix during the year she's had
them.

That's what I've done for the cameras which take them and for bicycle
lighting. It was a total pita finding the rechargeables had gone flat in
a few weeks of non-use and on one occasion finding the spare ones were
that way two.
I have some Eneloops, but I mainly have Vapex.

GP Recykos have served me well to the point I've started using them in
clocks.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Mark
saying something like:

What are Eneloops like in flash guns? I've tried ordinary NiMhs but
they are hopeless.

I've not had any problems so far, even with older NiMhs, but my use of
flash is occasional and not rapid-fire, so might not be indicative of
real suitability.
Certainly, the LSD NiMhs provide a much greater degree of reliability
and fulfillment of expectation the flash will be ready for use even
after months of sitting in the bag doing nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote on Jan 5, 2011:

drugs began to take hold. I remember John MacLeod
saying something like:

Neither NiCads nor NiMH are all that suitable for cameras -- if you've
a camera that takes AA batteries, put in good-quality alkaline
batteries.

Your digicam is due for replacement, if it's done seven years. Make
sure your new one has a Lithium-ion battery built in and that it can
be charged in the camera. Far more suitable for camera use than NiMH
or NiCad.

Lithium is lovely, to be sure.

Built-in rechargeable batteries are an absolute PITA, I've found. The time
they run out is *always* when you're out using the camera (obviously) and
then you're stuffed.

I've tried AA NiMH rechargeables in my current camera which work quite well
but the problem is that I use a camera most when travelling around on
holiday. I found the paraphernalia (charger, leads, adapters etc.) a nuisance
to pack, and there's never a power socket where it's needed. I had one almost
literally blown up by a power surge from the local generator once.

By far the most convenient for me are the Lithium disposable AAs. One pair
lasts for hundreds of shots - easily enough for a trip abroad, and a spare
pair is easy to carry around, and they're half the weight.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
John MacLeod wrote:
Neither NiCads nor NiMH are all that suitable for cameras -- if you've
a camera that takes AA batteries, put in good-quality alkaline
batteries.

1.2 volts is still within the range of a alkaline before it is used up. Of
course if it's a torch or other crude device the performance will not be
as good as with fresh alkalines. But most well designed electronic devices
should be OK.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 11:19:14 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

I'd throw away all rechargeables you may have,

I wouldn't do that, very little to gain and why throw out

perfectly
functional batteries?

Because you charge the older ones up and they're flat when you come to
use them.

But why throw "all rechargeables you may have" out? By all means buy
a set of low self discharge ones for "spare set service" but keep the
working ones for normal use.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 10:32*pm, Mike Clarke wrote:

Make
sure your new one has a Lithium-ion battery built in and that it can
be charged in the camera. *Far more suitable for camera use than NiMH
or NiCad.

I'd disagree there. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries, if they run flat
it's a matter of moments to pop in a set of ready charged ones (or the
reserve set of unused Duracells I keep in the camera bag). Far better
than waiting for the internal battery to recharge and if you're half way
up a deserted mountainside that isn't even an option.

False argument. Whoever suggested waiting for an internal battery to
recharge. The internal removeable lithium-ion battery slips out in a
moment and I can slip in a spare one if I really have completely
discharged the internal one which takes hundreds of photos before
needing recharging. The spare one lives in a tiny pouch on the camera
strap, along with spare SD cards. And I have a separate recharger so
that I can charge the spare battery outside the camera.

I can assure you that camera has travelled with me across four
continents and far from electric power points.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 10:32*pm, wrote:

Neither NiCads nor NiMH are all that suitable for cameras -- if you've
a camera that takes AA batteries, put in good-quality alkaline
batteries.

Surely depends on the camera, some are specifically designed to use
rechargeables (usually NiMh), I certainly wouldn't even consider a
camera that won't run well on rechargeables. *My Fuji is perfectly
happy with them.

I was referring to discharge characteristics. Lithium-ion
rechargeables and alkaline primary cells keep their charge in storage
better than NiCads or NiMHs.

John