Posted to uk.d-i-y
John MacLeod John MacLeod is offline

Default AA batteries what is a full charge

On Jan 5, 6:00*pm, "SS" wrote:
Recently had a few probs with AA batteries for digi cam, the batteries are
probably 3 years old but have no idea on how often they have been recharged.
Recently after charging they dont last long (have ordered a couple of new
sets) Anyhow I have just recharged them all and on a multimeter thingy they
are showing 14V + or should that be 1.4 V, *not too clever with these things
and how to set them.

Would this be a realistic voltage for freshly charged?
Other than when my digicam tells me `change the battery pack` after a few
pics is there any practical way to decide if the batteries are past their
best.
I am assuming the slight possibility of a camera fault, thats about 7 years
old.

thanks

You haven't even told us whether they're NiCads or NiMHs. In any
case, perhaps you're coming at this from the wrong end. Anything
over 1.2volts might be reasonable, but that's an off-load voltage
you're measuring and what you should be interested in is an on-load
voltage.

Neither NiCads nor NiMH are all that suitable for cameras -- if you've
a camera that takes AA batteries, put in good-quality alkaline
batteries.

Your digicam is due for replacement, if it's done seven years. Make
sure your new one has a Lithium-ion battery built in and that it can
be charged in the camera. Far more suitable for camera use than NiMH
or NiCad.

John