Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default i have two battery chargers and they dont seem to charge most of the batteries

Both are fameart, one older than the other, I threw out a third charge
I had all were £10 or so. The new frame art came with 4 batteries and
it can seem to charge them up. I'm putting same batteries in to get
charged at he same time, I'm just not getting charge into the atteies,
apart from one set of 4 eneloop ones which are great no matter which
charger I put them in. Its mainly my radio and kids toys, but the use
is not high, apart from the radio which always get the good batteries.
ome of the frameart bartteries hardly seemed to take a dcent charge at
the first one.
What am I doing wrong, I am on the point of buying a big box of non-
rechargables and trashing the rest.
ta
Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:

Both are fameart, one older than the other, I threw out a third charge
I had all were £10 or so. The new frame art came with 4 batteries and
it can seem to charge them up.

Fameart batteries have been the worst NiMH batteries I have bought, same
issue as you, after charging they're flat in hours or days, rather than
weeks or more. I have batteries years older than the Fameart ones that
still hold charge better. I only buy the eneloop style battery now.

Maybe their chargers are similarly poor?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 5, 3:08*pm, misterroy wrote:
Both are fameart, one older than the other, I threw out a third charge
I had all were £10 or so. The new frame art came with 4 batteries and
it can seem to charge them up. I'm putting same batteries in to get
charged at he same time, I'm just not getting charge into the atteies,
apart from one set of 4 eneloop ones which are great no matter which
charger I put them in. Its mainly my radio and kids toys, but the use
is not high, apart from the radio which always get the good batteries.
ome of the frameart bartteries hardly seemed to take a dcent charge at
the first one.
What am I doing wrong, I am on the point of buying a big box of non-
rechargables and trashing the rest.
ta

Frameart are probably some cheap chinese stuff without quality as you
see, Sanyo make eneloop and have always been high quality commercial
grade. Sanyo makes less expensive cells which are great, Panasonic,
Energiser, Duracell are good brands. Buy quality like the sanyos you
have. I would check each cell with a volt meter to see if any are dead
or have reversed polarity from over discharge. the kids are probably
running them dead until the toys dont run, this kills Nicads, nicads
are fully discharged at a high voltage , just under 1.2v a cell. in a
drill its when the tool slows, draining them all the way easily can
reverse a cells polaity, so maybe its the way the kids are using them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Sep, 21:08, misterroy wrote:
Both are fameart, one older than the other, I threw out a third charge
I had all were £10 or so. The new frame art came with 4 batteries and
it can seem to charge them up. I'm putting same batteries in to get
charged at he same time, I'm just not getting charge into the atteies,
apart from one set of 4 eneloop ones which are great no matter which
charger I put them in. Its mainly my radio and kids toys, but the use
is not high, apart from the radio which always get the good batteries.
ome of the frameart bartteries hardly seemed to take a dcent charge at
the first one.
What am I doing wrong, I am on the point of buying a big box of non-
rechargables and trashing the rest.
ta

Looking up this charger it is a fast 1-2 hour one and this type are
all well dodgy. If it thinks the cell is knackered, ie it measures a
voltage a lot less than 1.0v or a reversed polarity, it might refuse
to start charging at all. The cell might be still OK but needs to be
slow charged for half an hour in a traditional slow charger first to
get the volts up to near nominal. This defeats the object of having
a fast charger.
I've destroyed a number of previously good NiMH cells on chargers
similar to this due to overheating as the methods of measuring a full
charge are not reliable.

the rusty one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 13:08:03 -0700 (PDT), misterroy wrote:

ome of the frameart bartteries hardly seemed to take a dcent charge at
the first one.
What am I doing wrong,

What is the problem? I can't work it out from the rambling narrative.

Rechargeables have a finite life. When used in multiples and
connected in series the chances are one battery will become flat
before the others and will be reversed charged this doesn't do that
cell any good and will shorten it's life. As the cells become older
natural aging also makes the capacities different, this just makes
the above problem worse.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"therustyone" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I keep an old slow charger for starting off cells that are rejected by
the 'intelligent one' too. I think the intelligent one does get them filled
more reliably once the cells are recognised though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 5, 9:08*pm, misterroy wrote:
Both are fameart, one older than the other, I threw out a third charge
I had all were £10 or so. The new frame art came with 4 batteries and
it can seem to charge them up. I'm putting same batteries in to get
charged at he same time, I'm just not getting charge into the atteies,
apart from one set of 4 eneloop ones which are great no matter which
charger I put them in. Its mainly my radio and kids toys, but the use
is not high, apart from the radio which always get the good batteries.
ome of the frameart bartteries hardly seemed to take a dcent charge at
the first one.
What am I doing wrong, I am on the point of buying a big box of non-
rechargables and trashing the rest.
ta

There's simply no way to tell from what you've posted. First thing to
do would be to put your unrechagreables into a slow dumb charger, as
fast 'intelligent' chargers often refuse to charge cells for dumb
reasons.

Going from rechargeable to alkaline is just not a good plan. Once
you've figured out what's going wrong, you'll be glad you didn't.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember misterroy
saying something like:

What am I doing wrong, I am on the point of buying a big box of non-
rechargables and trashing the rest.

Junk the **** cheap ones and get some Eneloop-alikes, from here
http://component-shop.co.uk/html/body_instant.html
The Vapex are excelelnt value for money.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 02:37:20 -0700 (PDT), Tabby wrote:
On Sep 5, 9:08Â*pm, misterroy wrote:
[...]

I've occasionally fount some rechargables won't start charging if
they're really flat - right down to almost nothing. I presume the
circuitry in a smart charger has to detect some sort of voltage
coming off the cell, just to know that there's something in the
charger. Without that, it either wouldn't start the charge cycle
or might refuse on the basis that the cell is faulty. I've found
(as you say) that a swift tickle with a dumb charger can put enough
juice into a flat 'un to convince the smart chanrger to start
charging it.

--
http://www.thisreallyismyhost.99k.or...9402820339.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:

So why are "Eneloop-alike" OK but "NiMH alike" are "**** cheap"?

Because not all NiMHs are low self discharge (i.e. like eneloop,
cyclenergy etc)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Junk the **** cheap ones and get some Eneloop-alikes, from here
http://component-shop.co.uk/html/body_instant.html
The Vapex are excelelnt value for money.

I have heard other recommendations for the Vapex ones, but it's a little
odd that that site lists both 2100mAh and 2300mAH "instant" batteries,
when vapextech's own website only lists 2100mAh "instant" ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 6, 9:46*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
So why are "Eneloop-alike" OK but "NiMH alike" are "**** cheap"?

Because not all NiMHs are low self discharge (i.e. like eneloop,
cyclenergy etc)

I know.

The way I read it was that he was recommending "eneloop alike" in
place of genuine eneloop at the same time as saying fameart were cheap
**** NiMH, presumably because they were not a major brand. "eneloop
alike" could just as easily be described as "cheap **** eneloop". Do
you really believe all low self discharge NiMH are created equally?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 7, 1:41*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Man at B&Q"
saying something like:

So why are "Eneloop-alike" OK but "NiMH alike" are "**** cheap"? Is it
your brains that are ****?

You ignorant ******.