RS

Default battery chargers fried ...

Preamble:

************************************

While travelling and visiting friends in rural India recently, I was using
NiMH "AA" cells, and Rayovac rechargeable alkaline "AA" cells to power my
digital camera.

To recharge them I was using a "GP" brand (model GPKB34P) charger , and
a Rayovac Model PS1 charger. Both are 117v 60Hz devices, and I was running
them through a 220 110 volt transformer.

Power outages were common in the area and sometimes a farm tractor with a
jury-rigged generator running off the "power take off" shaft, was used to
supply electricity to the farm house. During one evening when I was away
visiting other relatives of theirs, it seems there was a "brown-out" sort of
situation due to the tractor running at an unusually slow speed for several
hours. I saw the flickering honey-color tungsten lamps in the house when I
returned and realized that my chargers were not getting proper voltage !

The chargers both appear to be dead. The transformer survived, according to
subsequent tests with a volt meter.

***********************************

Question: Are either of these 2 chargers likely to be easily repairable?

Thanks !

-RS-

sofie

If the transformers are indeed good (proper AC voltage at the secondary)
then there ain't much more to the charger than at most a secondary fuse, a
diode or two, resistors or possible a regulator semiconductor. Get your
multi-meter back out of the tool box and perform some simple testing of
components.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"RS" wrote in message
Preamble:

************************************

[...]

jakdedert

sofie wrote:
If the transformers are indeed good (proper AC voltage at the
secondary) then there ain't much more to the charger than at most a
secondary fuse, a diode or two, resistors or possible a regulator
semiconductor. Get your multi-meter back out of the tool box and
perform some simple testing of components.

Huh uh, Dan. He was referring to the 220-110v stepdown transformers he had
in series with the chargers. Those survived. The chargers are Li-ion, so
there's gonna be some active electronics in there...perhaps as little as a
timer circuit; but AIRC, these things go for as cheap as $10, so there's
little hope or profit in trying to fix them anyway.

jak

"RS" wrote in message
[...]

NSM

"RS" wrote in message

The chargers both appear to be dead. The transformer survived, according

subsequent tests with a volt meter.

***********************************

Question: Are either of these 2 chargers likely to be easily repairable?

It wasn't low voltage that fried them. It was low frequency. 50 cycle would
have done it if the voltage wasn't reduced from 120 to 100. The internal 110
to (12?) transformers are probably dead.

Can you fix them? Yes, if you can get the parts.

Is it safe for kids to take apart electronics? momwithtools Electronics Repair 64 March 1st 05 08:15 AM
Battery life tests Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 September 22nd 04 08:39 PM
Battery Problem QX4 Solved NSN Home Repair 0 March 31st 04 02:39 PM
AAA battery chargers Tim Downie UK diy 8 November 29th 03 01:22 PM
Deep Cycle Lead-acid Battery Tips gothika Electronics Repair 2 July 17th 03 04:08 AM