Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default AA batteries what is a full charge

On Jan 5, 10:23*pm, "SS" wrote:
"John MacLeod" wrote in message

On Jan 5, 6:00 pm, "SS" wrote:

Recently had a few probs with AA batteries for digi cam, the batteries are
probably 3 years old but have no idea on how often they have been
recharged.
Recently after charging they dont last long (have ordered a couple of new
sets) Anyhow I have just recharged them all and on a multimeter thingy
they
are showing 14V + or should that be 1.4 V, not too clever with these
things
and how to set them.

Would this be a realistic voltage for freshly charged?
Other than when my digicam tells me `change the battery pack` after a few
pics is there any practical way to decide if the batteries are past their
best.
I am assuming the slight possibility of a camera fault, thats about 7
years
old.

thanks

You haven't even told us whether they're NiCads or NiMHs. *In any
case, perhaps you're coming at this from the wrong end. * Anything
over 1.2volts might be reasonable, but that's an off-load voltage
you're measuring and what you should be interested in is an on-load
voltage.

Neither NiCads nor NiMH are all that suitable for cameras -- if you've
a camera that takes AA batteries, put in good-quality alkaline
batteries.

Your digicam is due for replacement, if it's done seven years. *Make
sure your new one has a Lithium-ion battery built in and that it can
be charged in the camera. *Far more suitable for camera use than NiMH
or NiCad.

John

I am using 1.2V 2800mAh HI-Mh .

The 7 year old is a canon A70 and although others may consider it for
replacement it still works for me.
I also use a Nikon D50 slr which would also be considred out of date. It
uses a battery pack which I assume will be AAs in disguise.

My out of date is when it stops working or doesnt do the job.
Not when a newer model becomes available.

Quite right.