Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default How should I dispose of a fluorescent tube?

It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd work
out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:33:13 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

MM wrote:
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd work
out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

MM

Can you not just keep it in the box the new one came out of and save it
for when you DO need to go to the tip?
It's only an 18" one after all.

Pete

I *hardly ever* go to the tip! I never normally need to. Been maybe
once in five years. I wouldn't mind if it was just down the road, but
it isn't. It's miles away. I rarely use my car nowadays, but use my
bus pass instead. No buses pass the waste tip, though. I want to do
the 'right thing', but the council makes no provision at all for
people like me. No wonder there's such a lot of fly tipping.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
MM wrote:
[...]

ask/complain to the council not us?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
MM wrote:
[...]

AFAIK council tips dont recycle them, just bin it. Or make a ballast
that will run them when the filaments are gone, and if its a
triphosphor rather than a halphosphate, use it for ever more.
(Halophosphors lose too much efficiency over time.)

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
MM wrote:
[...]

ours do - special container etc

Or make a ballast
that will run them when the filaments are gone, and if its a
triphosphor rather than a halphosphate, use it for ever more.
(Halophosphors lose too much efficiency over time.)

mmm sounds non-trivial?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd work
out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

MM

Try

1. Open dustbin lid.
2. Place lamp into the bin
3. Close dustbin lid.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

I *hardly ever* go to the tip! I never normally need to. Been maybe
once in five years. I wouldn't mind if it was just down the road, but
it isn't. It's miles away. I rarely use my car nowadays, but use my
bus pass instead. No buses pass the waste tip, though. I want to do
the 'right thing', but the council makes no provision at all for
people like me. No wonder there's such a lot of fly tipping.

Well if the council can't/won't provide a suitable means of disposal then I
reckon you're morally justified in putting it in the bin. It probably
causes less pollution than the 28 mile drive but I don't know where you
stand legally, but who's going to know.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2010 10:33, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
MM wrote:
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd work
out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

MM

Can you not just keep it in the box the new one came out of and save it
for when you DO need to go to the tip?
It's only an 18" one after all.

I tried that. But when I took 5 years of domestic electrical rubbish
(computers, TV's etc) to the dump, after a long time queueing, I was
given a grilling as to whether it was commercial.

In future I won't risk being refused, I'll just chuck it in the
household rubbish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM writes:
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd work
out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

There's supposed to be. As far as I know, it only works with
people who have 25 or more tubes to return, i.e. industrial
customers. There was no provision for them at my local tip
when I last visited (a year or so back).

Given how short the world is becoming of the rare earths used
to make the modern phosphors, it does seem criminal to throw
them out. (OTOH, I'm not sure if they can be recycled and reused,
as they significantly degrade by the time the tube dies.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 03:16:08 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

AFAIK council tips dont recycle them, just bin it.

ours do - special container etc

Just because there is a special container doesn't mean they are
recycled.

Are they dismantled into the component parts, glass, metal, mercury,
phosphors, etc separated out, recovered and reused or just taken to a
toxic waste landfill site.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:17:11 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd work
out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

MM

Try

1. Open dustbin lid.
2. Place lamp into the bin
3. Close dustbin lid.

Adam

For longer tubes:
4. Hold lid slightly open.
5. Insert wrecking bar or other suitable implement and rap tube.
6. Reclose lid.

Tip's only 6.5 miles away, but a 6' tube on the back o' me bike...
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Given how short the world is becoming of the rare earths used
to make the modern phosphors, [...]

We're not short of "rare earths", it's just that very few people
can be bothered to dig them up:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01..._earth_metals/

#Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:26:37 +0100, Nick wrote:

I tried that. But when I took 5 years of domestic electrical rubbish
(computers, TV's etc) to the dump, after a long time queueing, I was
given a grilling as to whether it was commercial.

In future I won't risk being refused, I'll just chuck it in the
household rubbish.

Sounds a bit like the recycling scheme round here. The council provide
clear bags, and you can get more if you use a lot.

This was too successful (and allegedly millions of bags were being
'misused') so now we get 51 bags a year. If we fill in a form we can get
a few more. If we want any more, they send someone round to 'educate' us.

Guess where all the excess recycling is going? That's right, landfill.
Even the tip doesn't have a place for that sort of recycling. And don't
get me started on driving miles to get rid of fluorescent tubes.

Yes, you...Canterbury City Council!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
MM wrote:
[...]

Takes some electronics skills - and more importantly time. High
frequency can be coupled into the tube capacitively the same way CCFLs
are driven, so its possible to use a CCFL ballast from laptop, LCD
scanner etc.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 21, 11:46*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * MM writes:

It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd work
out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

There's supposed to be. As far as I know, it only works with
people who have 25 or more tubes to return, i.e. industrial
customers. There was no provision for them at my local tip
when I last visited (a year or so back).

Given how short the world is becoming of the rare earths used
to make the modern phosphors, it does seem criminal to throw
them out. (OTOH, I'm not sure if they can be recycled and reused,
as they significantly degrade by the time the tube dies.)

fwiw its possible to reuse the phosphors yourself, not too many of us
into doing that sort of thing though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 21, 2:51 pm, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

MM wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:46:31 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Given how short the world is becoming of the rare earths used
to make the modern phosphors, it does seem criminal to throw
them out.

But you can see from the more irresponsible range of replies that not
many agree with you and me that there ought to be a proper disposal
policy that is easily accessible.

Of course it's dead easy simply to throw the tube in the bin, and I
expect ARWadsworth and others are extremely proud of their very clever
suggestions, but these tubes are supposedly very dangerous (contain
dangerous materials) and therefore should be disposed of safely. The
program for recycling batteries is obviously working as I have seen
some very full containers in Tesco and other supermarkets.

What does disposing of safely mean? I'd advocate dumping it in a
deep-sea trench (30,000 ft deep or more) where it'll all be subducted
into the earth'c crust.

wouldn't it just float back up?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 21, 3:33 pm, Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Given how short the world is becoming of the rare earths used
to make the modern phosphors, it does seem criminal to throw
them out.

But you can see from the more irresponsible range of replies that not
many agree with you and me that there ought to be a proper disposal
policy that is easily accessible.

Of course it's dead easy simply to throw the tube in the bin, and I
expect ARWadsworth and others are extremely proud of their very clever
suggestions, but these tubes are supposedly very dangerous (contain
dangerous materials) and therefore should be disposed of safely. The
program for recycling batteries is obviously working as I have seen
some very full containers in Tesco and other supermarkets.

What does disposing of safely mean? I'd advocate dumping it in a
deep-sea trench (30,000 ft deep or more) where it'll all be subducted
into the earth's crust.

wouldn't it just float back up?

What, the tubes you mean?

what else is this thread about?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
MM writes:
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd work
out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

There's supposed to be. As far as I know, it only works with
people who have 25 or more tubes to return, i.e. industrial
customers. There was no provision for them at my local tip
when I last visited (a year or so back).

The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (Amendment)Regulations
2009 came into force on 1st January this year. See:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/policies/busi...gulations/weee

"If you provide new EEE directly to household users/consumers you will
be a distributor, and must provide facilities to your customers to
return old equipment free of charge."

This places the responsibility fairly and squarely on the vendor, so
take the old one back to them - and don't accept "No" for an answer ...

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
On 21 Jun,
PeterC wrote:

For longer tubes:

Drop into empty bin so it lands on the end.
If you get it right, it all just piles down crumpling under its
own weight, until there's only about 12" left.

4. Hold lid slightly open.
5. Insert wrecking bar or other suitable implement and rap tube.
6. Reclose lid.

Easiest with long tubes:
1 Put in packaging of old tube.
2 Seal ends with plastic bag.
3 place one end on ground and leave go.

You'll be lucky.
I've even stood on one without it breaking (the glass tube is
semi-toughened on the outside only, just like ordinary light bulbs).

4 fold packaging and put in bin.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
writes:
On 21 Jun,
PeterC wrote:

For longer tubes:

Drop into empty bin so it lands on the end.
If you get it right, it all just piles down crumpling under its
own weight, until there's only about 12" left.

4. Hold lid slightly open.
5. Insert wrecking bar or other suitable implement and rap tube.
6. Reclose lid.

Easiest with long tubes:
1 Put in packaging of old tube.
2 Seal ends with plastic bag.
3 place one end on ground and leave go.

You'll be lucky.
I've even stood on one without it breaking (the glass tube is
semi-toughened on the outside only, just like ordinary light bulbs).

4 fold packaging and put in bin.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Do tubes harden with age;-) In my experience it is much easier to break the
new tube you are installing than the old one that you have taken out.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article d5MTn.11478$cJ6.8488@hurricane,
"ARWadsworth" writes:

Do tubes harden with age;-) In my experience it is much easier to break the
new tube you are installing than the old one that you have taken out.

So, that would just be Sods law at play...

They are remarkably strong when you consider the glass is only
something like half a mm think.

Likewise for GLS bulbs. Indeed, when they're made, and before the
inards and lamp cap are fitted, you can drop them onto a smooth
concrete floor and they bounce like ping-pong balls.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 16:04:55 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Adopting the
moral high ground is fine if you also have a viable solution to the
problem that you can share.

I need to have the solution *before* asking the question? That sounds
like the Irishman's "If I were you, I wouldn't start from here"
response.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 16:31:56 +0100, Terry Casey
wrote:

The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (Amendment)Regulations
2009 came into force on 1st January this year. See:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/policies/busi...gulations/weee

"If you provide new EEE directly to household users/consumers you will
be a distributor, and must provide facilities to your customers to
return old equipment free of charge."

This places the responsibility fairly and squarely on the vendor, so
take the old one back to them - and don't accept "No" for an answer ...

Ah, now this sensible advice. The vendor in this case was the local
hardware store. So should they accept the old one? (They didn't
mention at all the subject of disposal at the time of purchase.)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
MM writes:
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfill, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd
work out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

There's supposed to be. As far as I know, it only works with
people who have 25 or more tubes to return, i.e. industrial
customers. There was no provision for them at my local tip
when I last visited (a year or so back).

You can dump then at our local tip, special bin. Not sure if they recycle
them.

At the local Uni they had a large plastic container for tubes. When full a
contractor collected it & left an empty one, cost £168 + VAT.

Apparently as a business I could be fined up to £3K for transporting them
without a hazardous waster transfer licence.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

My son was fined £50 by them recently for leaving his rubbish bags on the
street on collection day. He didn't; the pre-collectors dragged them out of
the underground car park bins and left them on the street to be collected
while he was at work. They were left on the street and son wasn't able to
persuade the council that he was telling the truth because the council asked
the collectors and they said it wasn't them!

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 21, 6:53 pm, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message

[...]

small claims fast track online thingy - gotta be worth a go shurely?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim
Streater wrote

What does disposing of safely mean? I'd advocate dumping it in a
deep-sea trench (30,000 ft deep or more) where it'll all be subducted
into the earth'c crust.

Just shove them down an oil pipe to stop it leaking
--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:53:32 +0100, Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

I'd have let them take me to court.

Canterbury City Council also fined a woman £120 when one of her recycling
bags blew down the road in heavy winds on collection day. They opened it
and got her address. I never put anything in those bags that can identify
me.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:26:37 +0100, Nick wrote:

I tried that. But when I took 5 years of domestic electrical rubbish
(computers, TV's etc) to the dump, after a long time queueing, I was
given a grilling as to whether it was commercial.

In future I won't risk being refused, I'll just chuck it in the
household rubbish.

Sounds a bit like the recycling scheme round here. The council
provide clear bags, and you can get more if you use a lot.

This was too successful (and allegedly millions of bags were being
'misused') so now we get 51 bags a year. If we fill in a form we can
get a few more. If we want any more, they send someone round to
'educate' us.

You can get more by going to the Council office on Military Way and
asking for them, like we did on day two of having moved here. I ended up
with two complete rolls. After six months we are still only just
starting roll 2.

The whole point is that this has stopped as from June 1. They are not
handing out any more rolls, at Military Road or anywhere else.

We generate a lot of recycling. Probably 4 bags a week.

Guess where all the excess recycling is going? That's right,
landfill. Even the tip doesn't have a place for that sort of
recycling. And don't get me started on driving miles to get rid of
fluorescent tubes.

Yes, you...Canterbury City Council!

How do you know this?

What, that's it's going in landfill? Because that's where I'm putting
it...sorry if that wasn't clear. I suspect I'm not the only one.
Others may also be fly tipping.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

My son was fined £50 by them recently for leaving his rubbish bags on the
street on collection day. He didn't; the pre-collectors dragged them out of
the underground car park bins and left them on the street to be collected
while he was at work. They were left on the street and son wasn't able to
persuade the council that he was telling the truth because the council asked
the collectors and they said it wasn't them!

Did he *pay* the fine?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:12:34 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

The whole point is that this has stopped as from June 1. They are not
handing out any more rolls, at Military Road or anywhere else.

Who's your City councillor? And have you spoken to them?

It's a global Council policy. Been in all the local papers for months.

We generate a lot of recycling. Probably 4 bags a week.

How do you manage that? There's two of us and we do about one a week.

There's 4 of us, for a start. And we are assiduous recyclers.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
MM writes:
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd work
out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

There's supposed to be. As far as I know, it only works with
people who have 25 or more tubes to return, i.e. industrial
customers. There was no provision for them at my local tip
when I last visited (a year or so back).

I thought WEEE regulations required a retailer to take the old tube back.
Medlocks certainly take my old tubes back when I buy a new one.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

The whole point is that this has stopped as from June 1. They are
not handing out any more rolls, at Military Road or anywhere else.

Who's your City councillor? And have you spoken to them?

It's a global Council policy. Been in all the local papers for months.

We generate a lot of recycling. Probably 4 bags a week.

How do you manage that? There's two of us and we do about one a week.

There's 4 of us, for a start. And we are assiduous recyclers.

Its all those beer cans & wine bottles :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

The whole point is that this has stopped as from June 1. They are not
handing out any more rolls, at Military Road or anywhere else.

Who's your City councillor? And have you spoken to them?

It's a global Council policy. Been in all the local papers for months.

We generate a lot of recycling. Probably 4 bags a week.

How do you manage that? There's two of us and we do about one a week.

There's 4 of us, for a start. And we are assiduous recyclers.

Its all those beer cans & wine bottles :-)

No beer cans! And I take the wine bottles to the bottle bank, if I have
to be in that car park anyway.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:27:52 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

There's 4 of us, for a start. And we are assiduous recyclers.

So are we. You could try squashing the bottles and so on. Don't forget
that the cardboard drinks cartons can't be recycled.

You aound like one of their 'retrainers'...!

Even if we didn't do that, it's still a backward step. Many people won't
squash bottles, and may use more bags. The cost to the council of the
skewed recycling percentage is going to be greater than that of a few
bags.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:36:10 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

The whole point is that this has stopped as from June 1. They are
not handing out any more rolls, at Military Road or anywhere else.

Who's your City councillor? And have you spoken to them?

It's a global Council policy. Been in all the local papers for months.

Doesn't stop you complaining to your City councillor about it though,
does it? That's what they're for.

Complained and complained. No response.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In a previous life, when I used to be responsible for waste collection
policy, in a large public meeting I asked the senior waste management
officer what householders should do with waste tubes and CFLs and
he said (with a bit of a sigh):
For the amount and frequency of fluorescent waste a typical household
disposes of, they should just be placed in the bin.

If you're chucking out multiple tubes weekly, that's when you need to
be worrying about things, but just put it in context.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember MM saying
something like:

Ah, now this sensible advice. The vendor in this case was the local
hardware store. So should they accept the old one? (They didn't
mention at all the subject of disposal at the time of purchase.)

They tend not to, in the hope you won't know.

fluorescent tube compaitbility Michael Muderick Home Repair 1 November 1st 07 08:28 AM
Fluorescent tube Chokes Bob Minchin UK diy 3 December 4th 06 01:15 PM
Fluorescent tube starter Mark UK diy 11 November 29th 04 02:17 PM
price of a fluorescent tube. Mick UK diy 4 April 23rd 04 03:56 PM
fluorescent tube still flickering p cooper UK diy 6 October 2nd 03 08:09 PM