Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default How should I dispose of a fluorescent tube?

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
MM writes:
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd work
out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

There's supposed to be. As far as I know, it only works with
people who have 25 or more tubes to return, i.e. industrial
customers. There was no provision for them at my local tip
when I last visited (a year or so back).

The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (Amendment)Regulations
2009 came into force on 1st January this year. See:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/policies/busi...gulations/weee

"If you provide new EEE directly to household users/consumers you will
be a distributor, and must provide facilities to your customers to
return old equipment free of charge."

This places the responsibility fairly and squarely on the vendor, so
take the old one back to them - and don't accept "No" for an answer ...

--

Terry