Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_2_] Jim K[_2_] is offline

Default How should I dispose of a fluorescent tube?

On Jun 21, 2:51 pm, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

MM wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:46:31 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Given how short the world is becoming of the rare earths used
to make the modern phosphors, it does seem criminal to throw
them out.

But you can see from the more irresponsible range of replies that not
many agree with you and me that there ought to be a proper disposal
policy that is easily accessible.

Of course it's dead easy simply to throw the tube in the bin, and I
expect ARWadsworth and others are extremely proud of their very clever
suggestions, but these tubes are supposedly very dangerous (contain
dangerous materials) and therefore should be disposed of safely. The
program for recycling batteries is obviously working as I have seen
some very full containers in Tesco and other supermarkets.

What does disposing of safely mean? I'd advocate dumping it in a
deep-sea trench (30,000 ft deep or more) where it'll all be subducted
into the earth'c crust.

wouldn't it just float back up?

Jim K