Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Nick is offline

Default How should I dispose of a fluorescent tube?

On 21/06/2010 10:33, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
MM wrote:
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd work
out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

MM

Can you not just keep it in the box the new one came out of and save it
for when you DO need to go to the tip?
It's only an 18" one after all.

I tried that. But when I took 5 years of domestic electrical rubbish
(computers, TV's etc) to the dump, after a long time queueing, I was
given a grilling as to whether it was commercial.

In future I won't risk being refused, I'll just chuck it in the
household rubbish.