Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How should I dispose of a fluorescent tube?

On Jun 21, 2:07*pm, MM wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:46:31 +0000 (UTC),

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Given how short the world is becoming of the rare earths used
to make the modern phosphors, it does seem criminal to throw
them out.

But you can see from the more irresponsible range of replies that not
many agree with you and me that there ought to be a proper disposal
policy that is easily accessible.

If it were financially worth doing there would be one.

Of course it's dead easy simply to throw the tube in the bin, and I
expect ARWadsworth and others are extremely proud of their very clever
suggestions, but these tubes are supposedly very dangerous (contain
dangerous materials) and therefore should be disposed of safely.

They're not. Someone's been reading greenwash.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 21, 10:16 pm, Jim K wrote:
On Jun 21, 11:04 am, NT wrote:

On Jun 21, 10:36 am, MM wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:33:13 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"

wrote:
MM wrote:
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd work
out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

MM

Can you not just keep it in the box the new one came out of and save it
for when you DO need to go to the tip?
It's only an 18" one after all.

Pete

I *hardly ever* go to the tip! I never normally need to. Been maybe
once in five years. I wouldn't mind if it was just down the road, but
it isn't. It's miles away. I rarely use my car nowadays, but use my
bus pass instead. No buses pass the waste tip, though. I want to do
the 'right thing', but the council makes no provision at all for
people like me. No wonder there's such a lot of fly tipping.

MM

AFAIK council tips dont recycle them, just bin it.

ours do - special container etc

Or make a ballast

that will run them when the filaments are gone, and if its a
triphosphor rather than a halphosphate, use it for ever more.
(Halophosphors lose too much efficiency over time.)

mmm sounds non-trivial?

I find that the tubes light up quite well when I hold them somewhere
in the vicinity of a Van de Graaff generator. 30,000 volts works quite
well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 5:53 am, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:26:37 +0100, Nick wrote:

I tried that. But when I took 5 years of domestic electrical rubbish
(computers, TV's etc) to the dump, after a long time queueing, I was
given a grilling as to whether it was commercial.

In future I won't risk being refused, I'll just chuck it in the
household rubbish.

Sounds a bit like the recycling scheme round here. The council provide
clear bags, and you can get more if you use a lot.

This was too successful (and allegedly millions of bags were being
'misused') so now we get 51 bags a year. If we fill in a form we can get
a few more. If we want any more, they send someone round to 'educate' us.

Guess where all the excess recycling is going? That's right, landfill.
Even the tip doesn't have a place for that sort of recycling. And don't
get me started on driving miles to get rid of fluorescent tubes.

Yes, you...Canterbury City Council!

My son was fined £50 by them recently for leaving his rubbish bags on the
street on collection day. He didn't; the pre-collectors dragged them out of
the underground car park bins and left them on the street to be collected
while he was at work. They were left on the street and son wasn't able to
persuade the council that he was telling the truth because the council asked
the collectors and they said it wasn't them!

That's another reason why I am glad I have a bunch of video cameras to
catch vandals etc. I always put my bin in front of the best camera.
You'd be surprised how many people look in my bin or put stuff in it.
One neighbour insisted on putting a large bag of rubbish in my bin so
the lid wouldn't close. In theory the rubbish collectors won't pick it
up if overfull.

Here she is:
http://i39.tinypic.com/sooe4n.jpg
She's now been kicked out by her landlord.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 8:27 am, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

There's 4 of us, for a start. And we are assiduous recyclers.

So are we. You could try squashing the bottles and so on. Don't forget
that the cardboard drinks cartons can't be recycled.

You should get your council to see how the Auckland City Council do
rubbish collection. There are no bags. One man in a truck collects the
rubbish.
We get a 240 litre bin for recycling. Cardboard drink cartons are
allowed, and most plastic bottles, and all glass bottles and tins, and
newspapers and cardboard boxes are fine, all in the bin together.
We get a 120 litre bin for other rubbish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
There is a small mercury
content, so I would avoid breaking one inside if possible.

The quantity in a CFL is about 1/1000th of the amount the average
person has in their body.

The phosphors are probably a more significant risk, but they aren't
particularly toxic. Most pronounced effect is to slow down wound
healing, so keep it out of any existing wounds, and avoid cutting
yourself with the tube. Highest long term exposure to rare earths
was by projectionists using carbon arc lamps, as the carbon
contained rare earths which were vapourised, and then breathed in.
That did cause significant occupational health issues, but from
long term exposure in a form in which they could be absorbed.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 9:03*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * John Rumm writes:

There is a small mercury
content, so I would avoid breaking one inside if possible.

The quantity in a CFL is about 1/1000th of the amount the average
person has in their body.

but mercury in the body is mainly locked away in fillings rather than
being free to act on the body.

The phosphors are probably a more significant risk, but they aren't
particularly toxic. Most pronounced effect is to slow down wound
healing, so keep it out of any existing wounds, and avoid cutting
yourself with the tube. Highest long term exposure to rare earths
was by projectionists using carbon arc lamps, as the carbon
contained rare earths which were vapourised, and then breathed in.
That did cause significant occupational health issues, but from
long term exposure in a form in which they could be absorbed.

Do you have any links or keywords to find out more about that?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message

[...]

I have had that problem in the past. I left out the green bin (cardboard and
garden cuttings) one evening and some passing idiot put a coke can in it.
When the bin was due to be emptied the binmen lifted the lid, saw the can
and put a warning notice on the bin about incorrect materials been in it. It
would have been easier for them to remove the can and empty the bin.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NT writes:
Or make a ballast
that will run them when the filaments are gone, and if its a
triphosphor rather than a halphosphate, use it for ever more.
(Halophosphors lose too much efficiency over time.)

You'll get an hour or two max of inefficient use as a cold cathode tube,
before the excess power has burned away the filament support wires.
The excess power at tube ends when running in cold cathode mode can melt
or crack the glass, sometimes causing the tube to fall out, sometimes
melting part of the fitting (and could in theory ignite nearby materials).
This is why most control gear goes to some lengths to detect when the
filaments are worn out and stop running the tube at that point. It's
also why real cold cathode tubes run at very much lower power loading
than conventional tubes (which operate their cathodes in thermionic
emission mode).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:27:52 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

There's 4 of us, for a start. And we are assiduous recyclers.

So are we. You could try squashing the bottles and so on. Don't forget
that the cardboard drinks cartons can't be recycled.

You aound like one of their 'retrainers'...!

Even if we didn't do that, it's still a backward step. Many people won't
squash bottles, and may use more bags. The cost to the council of the
skewed recycling percentage is going to be greater than that of a few
bags.

Well it depends doesn't it. It could be said that shipping all that
empty air around in un-squashed bottles is wasting a lot of society's
resources (not to mention your council tax).

They get compressed in the back of the dustcart, but I squash them
anyway to get more in the wheelie bin. I fill up the recycle bin at
about twice the rate of the ordinary bin, but it takes me weeks to
fill them anyway, hence the thread about the chicken and the maggots
and the stink.

Talking of which, the chicken went last Friday. I didn't see them
taking it, but I'm picturing the dustcart going off up the road,
obscured inside a cloud of flies. The bin still stunk. Cleaned it
out with the pressure washer at the weekend, and it looks like you
could eat your dinner of it now, but it still stinks. Must have
seeped into the plastic.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

Another of the jobs that I do not DIY (like ironing and window cleaning). I
am happy to pay £1.50 a month to have the bin cleaned for me.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NT writes:
On Jun 22, 9:03*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * John Rumm writes:

There is a small mercury
content, so I would avoid breaking one inside if possible.

The quantity in a CFL is about 1/1000th of the amount the average
person has in their body.

but mercury in the body is mainly locked away in fillings rather than
being free to act on the body.

After a several years, there's almost no mercury left in a filling,
but it's mostly still in the body, and is harmless as far as we know.
It really needs to be converted into an organic compound or salt to
be harmful, which our body doesn't seem very good at doing fortunately.
Plants and some other animals are though, so eating those plants or
animals which have been exposed is a more significant risk than raw
mercury in our bodies. Continuous exposure at crematoriums (average 3g
given off per person) was a risk to those working there, but I believe
they have to scrub it from the flue gasses nowadays.

The phosphors are probably a more significant risk, but they aren't
particularly toxic. Most pronounced effect is to slow down wound
healing, so keep it out of any existing wounds, and avoid cutting
yourself with the tube. Highest long term exposure to rare earths
was by projectionists using carbon arc lamps, as the carbon
contained rare earths which were vapourised, and then breathed in.
That did cause significant occupational health issues, but from
long term exposure in a form in which they could be absorbed.

Do you have any links or keywords to find out more about that?

My mum was a factory inspector (up until I was born), and I read it in
one of her work books many years ago. A google search turned up this:
http://digitalfire.com/4sight/hazard...ity_336.h tml

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

There's 4 of us, for a start. And we are assiduous recyclers.

So are we. You could try squashing the bottles and so on. Don't forget
that the cardboard drinks cartons can't be recycled.

You should get your council to see how the Auckland City Council do
rubbish collection. There are no bags. One man in a truck collects the
rubbish.
We get a 240 litre bin for recycling. Cardboard drink cartons are
allowed, and most plastic bottles, and all glass bottles and tins, and
newspapers and cardboard boxes are fine, all in the bin together. We get
a 120 litre bin for other rubbish.

That's what they used to do. In spite of much protest, they phased out
the bins and started using clear bags. I moaned a lot at the time, to no
avail.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 21/06/2010 23:21, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

Ah, now this sensible advice. The vendor in this case was the local
hardware store. So should they accept the old one? (They didn't
mention at all the subject of disposal at the time of purchase.)

They tend not to, in the hope you won't know.

Many of them sign up for a co-operative WEEE scheme. They pay a
proportion of the sale costs to a scheme operator to handle the waste
for them. In turn that means they are allowed to direct you you
municipal dumps etc rather than handle the waste themselves.

(as with many bits of gold plated EU nonsense, WEEE is a complete dogs
breakfast of unworkable legislation in many respects - just think
through the implications of a retailer attempting to handling a large
influx of wast CFLs etc).

But only if they have a large outflux, if there is such a word, of CFLs,
etc. as it is done on a one-for-one basis.

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in
message ...
MM wrote:
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd work
out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

MM

Can you not just keep it in the box the new one came out of and save it
for when you DO need to go to the tip?
It's only an 18" one after all.

UI've got 3 24" and I think a 34", one got broken after it fell over,
I keep having to relocated them until I go to the re-cycle centre although
I'm not sure what they will tell me to do with them.

I have the same problem with that white polystyrene that breaks into those
small spheres

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 16:31:56 +0100, Terry Casey
wrote:

The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (Amendment)Regulations
2009 came into force on 1st January this year. See:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/policies/busi...gulations/weee

"If you provide new EEE directly to household users/consumers you will
be a distributor, and must provide facilities to your customers to
return old equipment free of charge."

This places the responsibility fairly and squarely on the vendor, so
take the old one back to them - and don't accept "No" for an answer ...

Ah, now this sensible advice. The vendor in this case was the local
hardware store. So should they accept the old one? (They didn't
mention at all the subject of disposal at the time of purchase.)

My vendor was the local aquarium/fish shop and associated supplies,
do they have to recylce the air pumps and heaters of which I have a few I
want to get rid of. ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 10:37 am, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

:-)

Well I avoided that thread, can't bear stinks. I take it you spent a
while getting the meat off the bone? SWMBO wanted to ditch a chicken
carcase and I managed to get enough (good) meat off it for another meal.

And you do wrap it up well in noospaper I take it?

Talking of which, the chicken went last Friday. I didn't see them
taking it, but I'm picturing the dustcart going off up the road,
obscured inside a cloud of flies. The bin still stunk. Cleaned it
out with the pressure washer at the weekend, and it looks like you
could eat your dinner of it now, but it still stinks. Must have
seeped into the plastic.

In our old village you could put this sort of waste in the green bin
along with garden clippings.

the bin perhaps leave it out open under a hot sun (if we ever get
any) might evaporate the odours.

and the UV will kill bacteria that may be producing it...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 10:50*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * NT writes:

On Jun 22, 9:03 am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm writes:

[...]

one of her work books many years ago. A google search turned up this:http://digitalfire.com/4sight/hazard...re_earth_compo...

thanks!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
MM writes:
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd
work out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?

There's supposed to be. As far as I know, it only works with
people who have 25 or more tubes to return, i.e. industrial
customers. There was no provision for them at my local tip
when I last visited (a year or so back).

I thought WEEE regulations required a retailer to take the old tube
back. Medlocks certainly take my old tubes back when I buy a new one.

I did hear that Miele vacuum cleaners replace any machine that is faulty
whilst under warranty, but don't want the old one back - because of the
recycling cost. They ask you to dispose of it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (Amendment)Regulations
2009 came into force on 1st January this year. See:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/policies/busi...gulations/weee

"If you provide new EEE directly to household users/consumers you will
be a distributor, and must provide facilities to your customers to
return old equipment free of charge."

This places the responsibility fairly and squarely on the vendor, so
take the old one back to them - and don't accept "No" for an answer ...

Ah, now this sensible advice. The vendor in this case was the local
hardware store. So should they accept the old one? (They didn't
mention at all the subject of disposal at the time of purchase.)

MM

I've now received an email from the council. They are going to get the
inspection warden to pop by on his round on Thursday and pick up my
old tube! I'm to leave it near the front door.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Seriously that is dreadful. You should have shoved it in the bin. The
environmental impact of a bespoke collection is far worse. Mercury was
wonderful stuff as a kid, dabbing fingers in it and watching it recombine.
We have gone totally OTT.

Asbestos, Radon and mercury are now unnecessary industries for waste
merchants.Totally OTT. We have stopped using 1 and 3. We understand No. 2
and are going OTT on that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

[...]

It is not a bespoke collection. The district council warden comes by
anyway.

Mercury was
wonderful stuff as a kid, dabbing fingers in it and watching it recombine.
We have gone totally OTT.

Tell me, did you have to work on your Usenet moniker or did it just
come to you in a flash?

Asbestos, Radon and mercury are now unnecessary industries for waste
merchants.Totally OTT. We have stopped using 1 and 3. We understand No. 2
and are going OTT on that!

Asbestos is *still* everywhere in old buildings, sheds and factories.
Have you never heard of mesothelioma?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 7:10 am, MM wrote:

Asbestos is *still* everywhere in old buildings, sheds and factories.
Have you never heard of mesothelioma?

oh FFS not again...

time I had a holiday ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (Amendment)Regulations
2009 came into force on 1st January this year. See:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/policies/busi...gulations/weee

"If you provide new EEE directly to household users/consumers you will
be a distributor, and must provide facilities to your customers to
return old equipment free of charge."

This places the responsibility fairly and squarely on the vendor, so
take the old one back to them - and don't accept "No" for an answer ...

Ah, now this sensible advice. The vendor in this case was the local
hardware store. So should they accept the old one? (They didn't
mention at all the subject of disposal at the time of purchase.)

My vendor was the local aquarium/fish shop and associated supplies,
do they have to recylce the air pumps and heaters of which I have a few I
want to get rid of. ?

Yes. But only on a one-for-one basis. If you buy two new pumps, for
example, they should take back two for recycling (unless they have made
some alternative provision, as someone else mentioned).

Even the little Lidl (not much bigger than a corner shop) in the local
shopping centre has a notice in its window saying it will recycle on a
one-for-one basis.

Obviously, if you've collected a shed load of stuff, you can't dump it
all on the nearest unsuspecting retailer!
--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
andrew wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
MM writes:
It's an 18" one from the kitchen. Never had one before, so I don't
know whether it goes into landfil, recycling or whatever. Surely I
won't have to make a 28 miles round trip to the council tip? It'd
work out cheaper to mail it to them.

Is there not a returns policy, like now for batteries?
There's supposed to be. As far as I know, it only works with
people who have 25 or more tubes to return, i.e. industrial
customers. There was no provision for them at my local tip
when I last visited (a year or so back).

I thought WEEE regulations required a retailer to take the old tube
back. Medlocks certainly take my old tubes back when I buy a new one.

I did hear that Miele vacuum cleaners replace any machine that is faulty
whilst under warranty, but don't want the old one back - because of the
recycling cost. They ask you to dispose of it.

They can ask, I suppose, but they can't demand - you can, though!

If they try to evade their responsibility, they are breaking the law -
get Trading Standards (or whatever they call themselves these days) on
the case.

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 02:11:40 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

On Jun 23, 7:10 am, MM wrote:

Asbestos is *still* everywhere in old buildings, sheds and factories.
Have you never heard of mesothelioma?

oh FFS not again...

That's probably what Karol Sikora and colleagues are often saying.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Jun 23, 7:10 am, MM wrote:

Asbestos is *still* everywhere in old buildings, sheds and factories.
Have you never heard of mesothelioma?

oh FFS not again...

That's probably what Karol Sikora and colleagues are often saying.

MM

eh? whilst defending GPs with dubious euthanastic approaches?

(do try to put it in context dear ;))

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:53:32 +0100, Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

I'd have let them take me to court.

I don't remember the exact ins and outs of it now but they were virtually
being bullied by the bloke in charge of such things. I tried to intervene on
their behalf but he wouldn't discuss it with me at all. They paid up because
it was implied that if they lost after going to court they would have to pay
costs and they didn't want to risk it.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

My son was fined £50 by them recently for leaving his rubbish bags on the
street on collection day. He didn't; the pre-collectors dragged them out
of
the underground car park bins and left them on the street to be collected
while he was at work. They were left on the street and son wasn't able to
persuade the council that he was telling the truth because the council
asked
the collectors and they said it wasn't them!

Did he *pay* the fine?

He did. See above. Plus boy was working all hours and the council bloke was
wasting time by being unavailable on his days off.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

Here she is:
http://i39.tinypic.com/sooe4n.jpg
She's now been kicked out by her landlord.

Heh, excellent!

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote:

I *hardly ever* go to the tip! I never normally need to. Been maybe
once in five years. I wouldn't mind if it was just down the road, but
it isn't. It's miles away. I rarely use my car nowadays, but use my
bus pass instead. No buses pass the waste tip, though. I want to do
the 'right thing', but the council makes no provision at all for
people like me. No wonder there's such a lot of fly tipping.

why not just put it out when you put out your rubbish & recycling stuff ...
and see what council do with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote:

I *hardly ever* go to the tip! I never normally need to. Been maybe
once in five years. I wouldn't mind if it was just down the road, but
it isn't. It's miles away. I rarely use my car nowadays, but use my
bus pass instead. No buses pass the waste tip, though. I want to do
the 'right thing', but the council makes no provision at all for
people like me. No wonder there's such a lot of fly tipping.

why not just put it out when you put out your rubbish & recycling stuff
... and see what council do with it.

take it up to the next NUT rally^H^H^H^Hriot in London.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote:

I *hardly ever* go to the tip! I never normally need to. Been maybe
once in five years. I wouldn't mind if it was just down the road, but
it isn't. It's miles away. I rarely use my car nowadays, but use my
bus pass instead. No buses pass the waste tip, though. I want to do
the 'right thing', but the council makes no provision at all for
people like me. No wonder there's such a lot of fly tipping.

why not just put it out when you put out your rubbish & recycling stuff ....
and see what council do with it.

One would assume the OP has sorted it out in the 6 months since he
asked.

MBQ

fluorescent tube compaitbility Michael Muderick Home Repair 1 November 1st 07 08:28 AM
Fluorescent tube Chokes Bob Minchin UK diy 3 December 4th 06 01:15 PM
Fluorescent tube starter Mark UK diy 11 November 29th 04 02:17 PM
price of a fluorescent tube. Mick UK diy 4 April 23rd 04 03:56 PM
fluorescent tube still flickering p cooper UK diy 6 October 2nd 03 08:09 PM