Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default How should I dispose of a fluorescent tube?

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Jun 22, 5:53 am, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:26:37 +0100, Nick wrote:

I tried that. But when I took 5 years of domestic electrical rubbish
(computers, TV's etc) to the dump, after a long time queueing, I was
given a grilling as to whether it was commercial.

In future I won't risk being refused, I'll just chuck it in the
household rubbish.

Sounds a bit like the recycling scheme round here. The council provide
clear bags, and you can get more if you use a lot.

This was too successful (and allegedly millions of bags were being
'misused') so now we get 51 bags a year. If we fill in a form we can get
a few more. If we want any more, they send someone round to 'educate'
us.

Guess where all the excess recycling is going? That's right, landfill.
Even the tip doesn't have a place for that sort of recycling. And don't
get me started on driving miles to get rid of fluorescent tubes.

Yes, you...Canterbury City Council!

My son was fined £50 by them recently for leaving his rubbish bags on the
street on collection day. He didn't; the pre-collectors dragged them out
of
the underground car park bins and left them on the street to be collected
while he was at work. They were left on the street and son wasn't able to
persuade the council that he was telling the truth because the council
asked
the collectors and they said it wasn't them!

That's another reason why I am glad I have a bunch of video cameras to
catch vandals etc. I always put my bin in front of the best camera.
You'd be surprised how many people look in my bin or put stuff in it.
One neighbour insisted on putting a large bag of rubbish in my bin so
the lid wouldn't close. In theory the rubbish collectors won't pick it
up if overfull.

Here she is:
http://i39.tinypic.com/sooe4n.jpg
She's now been kicked out by her landlord.

I have had that problem in the past. I left out the green bin (cardboard and
garden cuttings) one evening and some passing idiot put a coke can in it.
When the bin was due to be emptied the binmen lifted the lid, saw the can
and put a warning notice on the bin about incorrect materials been in it. It
would have been easier for them to remove the can and empty the bin.

Adam