Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default How should I dispose of a fluorescent tube?

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 00:30:08 +0100, "Clot"
wrote:

MM wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:15:56 +0100, MM wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 16:31:56 +0100, Terry Casey
wrote:

The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (Amendment)Regulations
2009 came into force on 1st January this year. See:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/policies/busi...gulations/weee

"If you provide new EEE directly to household users/consumers you
will be a distributor, and must provide facilities to your
customers to return old equipment free of charge."

This places the responsibility fairly and squarely on the vendor, so
take the old one back to them - and don't accept "No" for an answer

Ah, now this sensible advice. The vendor in this case was the local
hardware store. So should they accept the old one? (They didn't
mention at all the subject of disposal at the time of purchase.)

MM

I've now received an email from the council. They are going to get the
inspection warden to pop by on his round on Thursday and pick up my
old tube! I'm to leave it near the front door.

Seriously that is dreadful. You should have shoved it in the bin. The
environmental impact of a bespoke collection is far worse.

It is not a bespoke collection. The district council warden comes by
anyway.

Mercury was
wonderful stuff as a kid, dabbing fingers in it and watching it recombine.
We have gone totally OTT.

Tell me, did you have to work on your Usenet moniker or did it just
come to you in a flash?

Asbestos, Radon and mercury are now unnecessary industries for waste
merchants.Totally OTT. We have stopped using 1 and 3. We understand No. 2
and are going OTT on that!

Asbestos is *still* everywhere in old buildings, sheds and factories.
Have you never heard of mesothelioma?

MM