Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default How should I dispose of a fluorescent tube?

On Jun 22, 9:03*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * John Rumm writes:

There is a small mercury
content, so I would avoid breaking one inside if possible.

The quantity in a CFL is about 1/1000th of the amount the average
person has in their body.

but mercury in the body is mainly locked away in fillings rather than
being free to act on the body.

The phosphors are probably a more significant risk, but they aren't
particularly toxic. Most pronounced effect is to slow down wound
healing, so keep it out of any existing wounds, and avoid cutting
yourself with the tube. Highest long term exposure to rare earths
was by projectionists using carbon arc lamps, as the carbon
contained rare earths which were vapourised, and then breathed in.
That did cause significant occupational health issues, but from
long term exposure in a form in which they could be absorbed.

Do you have any links or keywords to find out more about that?

NT