Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recomendations for CCTV kit?

Hi,

Owing to ongoing hassle with the next door nutty neighbour (we've just
had trees entirely in both our front and back garden vandalised by him)
I'm looking to splash about £300-400 on four cameras and a hard drive
based recorder. Police can't take any action otherwise ;-(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/290438777726

Looks interesting - the domes will mount under the eaves of the roof,
though I've heard comments that 1/3" is a better bet than 1/4" for the
cameras.

Only interested in wired systems.

Though looking at the above kit, I'm now wondering about D-I-Y rolling
my own with a security DVR card, cameras and a server box. So if anyone
has done that with cards similar to

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/CamsecureBT878aPCICard.html

??

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
[...]

critcher said.....................
it is probably an invasion of their privacy if you video any of their land
and their actions while on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2010 18:15, critcher wrote:
Adrian C

critcher said.....................
it is probably an invasion of their privacy if you video any of their land
and their actions while on it.

Yes, it's an invasion of privacy, but not illegal for non-businesses.

from http://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/faqs/da...he_public.aspx

"Q: My neighbour has installed a CCTV camera and it is pointing towards
my house/garden. Is this a breach of the Data Protection Act?

If your neighbour’s camera is installed on their residential
property and being used for their own personal domestic use, they are
unlikely to be breaching the Data Protection Act. This is because the
use of CCTV cameras for domestic security purposes is exempt from the
data protection principles. This applies when a person uses CCTV to
protect their home from burglary, even if the camera overlooks the
street or other areas near their home."

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
[...]

the legality of their privacy being invaded would be tested in a court and
has nothing to do with the data protection act.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2010 18:40, critcher wrote:

critcher said...........................
the legality of their privacy being invaded would be tested in a court and
has nothing to do with the data protection act.

Criminal Damage vs. Invasion of Privacy. Tough choice ;-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 30/05/2010 18:40, critcher wrote:

critcher said...........................
the legality of their privacy being invaded would be tested in a court
and
has nothing to do with the data protection act.

Criminal Damage vs. Invasion of Privacy. Tough choice ;-)

--
Adrian C

Adrian

If you email me I will give you some insight into the setup I used when I
had a nutter next to me. The neighbours went as far as taking an injuction
out about the recordings but the the recordings were allowed to be used in
court when I was threatened with a knife as it did not cover their land. You
just have to be carefull about what you record. Top tip, do not let your
neighbours know about the cameras until they have put their foot in it.
Covert is very good and audio is even better.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
Hi,

Owing to ongoing hassle with the next door nutty neighbour (we've just
had trees entirely in both our front and back garden vandalised by him)
I'm looking to splash about £300-400 on four cameras and a hard drive
based recorder. Police can't take any action otherwise ;-(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/290438777726

Looks interesting - the domes will mount under the eaves of the roof,
though I've heard comments that 1/3" is a better bet than 1/4" for the
cameras.

A few thoughts, as you have said 1/3" would be better, not essential
though. 420 lines is adequate if you have a close up enough picture.
That is where my main concern would come with the cameras mentioned
here, they only have 3.6mm lenses and as such will give you a wide over
view of whatever you are looking at and may not give you enough detail
to positively recognise someone. You will recognise them because you
know them, but the image you get will be like some of the rather poor
shots you sometimes see on the TV news from shop CCTV's. A way around
this maybe to use a couple of these cameras for an overview of the front
and back garden and then either place one very close to where you expect
problems or look for a separate higher spec' camera and lens for the
detailed shot. The DVR looks to accept 1VPk to Pk of video so that
almost any camera will interface to it.

Not all IR LED's are invisible to the human eye so your neighbour may
well spot them, could be good as a deterrent, but awkward if it's
hidden in a bush and they can get to it.

Setting up those cameras can be fun too! A small handheld monitor that
you can take up the ladder with you is the best way, but failing that a
very patient person at the other end of a mobile phone or radio is a
must. Play with them indoors first and make a note, tipex mark or
similar on the front, as to where the top of the picture is. They are
literally a metal sphere held behind the cover and are "interesting" to
physically set up.

Before setting them up take a look at the site at night with all
possible lighting on and try to find locations where any lights, flood
etc. are behind the camera if they are on your property and if they are
not under your control then try and set the camera so it cannot see them
at night as they will cause the auto iris to close and reduce the
sensitivity of the camera. Or they will cause flaring on the image,
neither of which are good.

All in all the kit that you link to looks to be a good start and should
give you reasonable results, don't expect BBC quality though! :-)

Hope some of that made sense?

Best of luck with your problem.
Have fun........

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message bPxMn.10859$8g7.8127@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes

"Adrian C" wrote in message
[...]

Audio is VERY much better! Especially if you have a conversation with
your neighbour within site of the cameras. I know a site where
although it was very well covered by CCTV the security guards also wore
radio mics so that any conversation with "people" at the gate was
recorded along with the CCTV so that there was no argument over what the
images portrayed.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 May 2010 19:06:51 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

... the recordings were allowed to be used in court ...

What sort of technical specification is advisable? I should imagine
that a blurry, smeary, B&W shot of some one, (who could be any body)
only 1/4 height of the frame has less chance of being of use versus a
sharp, defined, colour image even with the same sized figure.

How about the date/time stamping what are requirements for that?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message ...
On 30/05/2010 18:40, critcher wrote:

critcher said...........................
the legality of their privacy being invaded would be tested in a court and
has nothing to do with the data protection act.

Criminal Damage vs. Invasion of Privacy. Tough choice ;-)

--
Adrian C

Sorry to hear about your problems Adrian, are they on Tiscali? ;-)
I agree with Adam about recording audio, more chance of getting something incriminating,
and there is an irrational assumption that the public make about CCTV footage always being mute.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 30 May 2010 19:06:51 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

... the recordings were allowed to be used in court ...

What sort of technical specification is advisable? I should imagine
that a blurry, smeary, B&W shot of some one, (who could be any body)
only 1/4 height of the frame has less chance of being of use versus a
sharp, defined, colour image even with the same sized figure.

How about the date/time stamping what are requirements for that?

--
Cheers
Dave.

The recordings were date and time stamped. The camera that covers my front
door gives a good face recording. I will soon be upgrading my CCTV and I am
looking as spending over £1000 to get better pictures.

Most of the cost is on the recorder and I will add cameras when I have the
money.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

The recordings were date and time stamped. The camera that covers my front
door gives a good face recording. I will soon be upgrading my CCTV and I
am looking as spending over £1000 to get better pictures.

Most of the cost is on the recorder and I will add cameras when I have the
money.

Then you will be wasting the money.
IMO it would be better to go down the IP camera route, then the recorder has
no bearing on the quality at all.
Even if its an analogue recorder the quality difference between a £200 one
and a £1000 is not a lot.
Maybe you just want 32 channels?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Hi,

Owing to ongoing hassle with the next door nutty neighbour (we've just had
trees entirely in both our front and back garden vandalised by him) I'm
looking to splash about £300-400 on four cameras and a hard drive based
recorder. Police can't take any action otherwise ;-(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/290438777726

Looks interesting - the domes will mount under the eaves of the roof,
though I've heard comments that 1/3" is a better bet than 1/4" for the
cameras.

Only interested in wired systems.

Though looking at the above kit, I'm now wondering about D-I-Y rolling my
own with a security DVR card, cameras and a server box. So if anyone has
done that with cards similar to

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/CamsecureBT878aPCICard.html

Not much to offer apart from the fact I have been running a DVR card in a PC
based system for years now. Handy for recording anything captured to DVD and
printing stills. One downside to my old DVR card is that it (apparently)
uses video overlay and LogMeIn won't display the video when I log in
remotely.
In my humble opinion I reckon the quality of the cameras is the important
thing. Most of my cameras aren't too good at seeing detail at a distance.
I'm hoping for a recommendation for a good camera at a reasonable price.
Maybe someone here might be able to help.
Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 May, 18:05, Adrian C wrote:
[...]

Having just done similar security , er, review.

Capture cards , unless you get free power forget it, box takes a fair
amount of power and unless need some feature that full size PC offers
it`s as stable as a blancmange, though if want go that way Zoneminder
on a dedicated box offers lot of features

http://www.zoneminder.com/

DVRs are cheap as chips and have AV drives fitted, got an AV Tech
similar to one you linked to with 500Gb WD AV drive for £160 on
ebay,AV drive is guaranteed for 3 years of 24/7 operation, desktop
drives overheat.

Have 2 with Sharp 1/4" ccds in them , theyr`re OK , one is a door
viewer camera that people simply dont notice unless point it out to
them, other is outdoor but compact with no IR ring, which alawys glow
in dark surroundings.

Have a 460TVL 1/3" Sony Super HAD where the quality and sensitivity
are a visible notch up from Sharp, stay in colour to very low light
levels and excellent low light ability. Vari focal is handy that ones
a 4-9mm adjsuted by screwdriver, down at 3.6 mm view angle is probably
near 90 degrees.

Could also get board lenses and swap out lenses on other cams but its
a faff.

Connections, either power and video (but no audio) so called
`shotgun` cable which is expensive on long runs, or CAT5 Baluns
easily go to 200m+, RJ45 socket to BNC , 2.1mm Power and if required
Phono Audio, ebay or DX, cheapest found on exterior grade Cat 5
Kenable

http://www.kenable.co.uk/

Might need a couple of this to that connectors to avoid chopping
plugs, i.e. door viewer cam had video out on phono, Maplins do Phono/
F, to BNC/M in a plug.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

The recordings were date and time stamped. The camera that covers my front
door gives a good face recording. I will soon be upgrading my CCTV and I
am looking as spending over £1000 to get better pictures.

Most of the cost is on the recorder and I will add cameras when I have the
money.

Then you will be wasting the money.
IMO it would be better to go down the IP camera route, then the recorder has
no bearing on the quality at all.
Even if its an analogue recorder the quality difference between a £200 one
and a £1000 is not a lot.
Maybe you just want 32 channels?

Why IP camera?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Periproct
scribeth thus

"Adrian C" wrote in message
[...]

RF Concepts is quite a good firm to deal with over in NI but deliver to
the mainland UK next day...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

The recordings were date and time stamped. The camera that covers my front
door gives a good face recording. I will soon be upgrading my CCTV and I
am looking as spending over £1000 to get better pictures.

Most of the cost is on the recorder and I will add cameras when I have the
money.

Then you will be wasting the money.
IMO it would be better to go down the IP camera route, then the recorder has
no bearing on the quality at all.
Even if its an analogue recorder the quality difference between a £200 one
and a £1000 is not a lot.
Maybe you just want 32 channels?

Why IP camera?..

Because people think they are good because they are "digital" ? They
are just expensive and complicate matters. Nothing beats hardwiring
with coax if you can manage it, failing that 600 ohm twisted pair will
be more than adequate for any domestic situation.

A further thought to the OP is, if you can run all the system from one
power point and fit a UPS to cover power loss. If your neighbour is a
really devious son of an unmarried mother and realises what you have
done he may wait until there is a power cut and then do something bad.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

critcher wrote:
the legality of their privacy being invaded would be tested in a
court and has nothing to do with the data protection act.

There is no enforceable 'right to privacy', in general terms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
Hi,

Owing to ongoing hassle with the next door nutty neighbour (we've just
had trees entirely in both our front and back garden vandalised by
him) I'm looking to splash about £300-400 on four cameras and a hard
drive based recorder. Police can't take any action otherwise ;-(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/290438777726

I installed something similar last year - 4 cams, 1TB control unit in loft,
connected to home network and viewable from any PC or via the web.

Works really well. Recommended.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Periproct" wrote in message

"Adrian C" wrote in message
[...]

Check this before you buy or install.

http://www.nfh.org.uk/resources/Articles/cctv/index.php

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 5:05 am, Adrian C wrote:

Only interested in wired systems.

I think wired is better. You should consider using the motion
detection feature of the capture card, in which case you don't want
radio interference to trigger a whole lot of useless recordings.

Though looking at the above kit, I'm now wondering about D-I-Y rolling
my own with a security DVR card, cameras and a server box. So if anyone
has done that with cards similar to

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/CamsecureBT878aPCICard.html

I have such a system on an old 500MHz computer.
I have seven cameras, with three of them detecting motion.
I've found that the cameras with a whole lot of glowing red lights are
almost useless. People can see them too easily (and will smash or
steal them) and the light is inadequate. You are better to have 150
watt sensor lights on your property and use cheap video cameras with
no lights on them.
All you need is one camera with motion detection, then you can look at
the other cameras for evidence. You don't have time to watch all the
recordings even at fast forward. I recommend lots of hidden cameras.
I'm waiting for a guy to come back for a thrd time to steal copper
downpipes. There's a new camera two metres away from the downpipe.
I (and the police) already have his rego number.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 May, 23:59, Matty F wrote:
On May 31, 5:05 am, Adrian C wrote:

Only interested in wired systems.

I think wired is better. You should consider using the motion
detection feature of the capture card, in which case you don't want
radio interference to trigger a whole lot of useless recordings.

Though looking at the above kit, I'm now wondering about D-I-Y rolling
my own with a security DVR card, cameras and a server box. So if anyone
has done that with cards similar to

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/CamsecureBT878aPCICard.html

I have such a system on an old 500MHz computer.
I have seven cameras, with three of them detecting motion.
I've found that the cameras with a whole lot of glowing red lights are
almost useless.

Concur, it washes out number plates on axis for exaple.

People can see them too easily (and will smash or
steal them)

Get them high or vene a housing with a red ring in it

and the light is inadequate. You are better to have 150
watt sensor lights

Interstingly 120W is the new 150W in small halogen floods, totally
agree, cams dont actually need much light but 500W can cause them to
iris down missing the in the dark action.

on your property and use cheap video cameras with
no lights on them.
All you need is one camera with motion detection, then you can look at
the other cameras for evidence.

Other method is to use PIR detector to DVR/PC alarm inputs , Cat5
Baluns with audio jack if not using audio in that channle, have handy
connectorised pair and 12V available from cam supply. PIR detector
dosen`t have to be beside cam. Cat5 the wonder multirole all terrain
cable ;-)

You don't have time to watch all the
recordings even at fast forward. I recommend lots of hidden cameras.

Give them something to look at/aim for and something that watches them
watching waht they think is you, cams are small and cheap, sometimes
hidden in plain sight is good.

Have a PIR tiggered gate guardian cam that alerts me to look at other
footage if required.

I'm waiting for a guy to come back for a thrd time to steal copper
downpipes. There's a new camera two metres away from the downpipe.
I (and the police) already have his rego number.

The temptation to resist really is to not start to lay traps, it
breeds smarter mice...

Looked at the cost as another insurance policy but with a cover
lifespan of a few years.

But then for for the dumb rodent 3rd strike will hopefully see him
out, video going up on youtube ? ;-)

Copper downpipes, must look nice , whats the advantage?

Cheers
dam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 11:50 am, Adam Aglionby wrote:

Copper downpipes, must look nice , whats the advantage?

Corrosion free and stronger than plastic. And in keeping with a house
covered in marble tiles from Italy, and a copper roof.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 May, 22:48, "Peter Crosland" wrote:
"Periproct" wrote in message

"Adrian C" wrote in message
[...]

some rather obvious "vested interests" in that link.. plus references
to "video recorders" and video stored on PCs being "inadmissable
evidence" but of course no explanations ??.....seems somewhat out of
touch ?

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 30 May 2010 19:06:51 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

... the recordings were allowed to be used in court ...

What sort of technical specification is advisable? I
should imagine that a blurry, smeary, B&W shot of some
one, (who could be any body) only 1/4 height of the frame
has less chance of being of use versus a sharp, defined,
colour image even with the same sized figure.

Things have improved, but when cameras were fisrt used in
football grounds, the B/W pics were far better for ID
purposes than the colour. Colour was OK for, well, colour
of clothing, but for features and sharpness of image B?W was
best. (20 yrs ago FWIW)

How about the date/time stamping what are requirements
for that?

John

--
John Mulrooney

Success is a journey, not a destination.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

The recordings were date and time stamped. The camera that covers my
front door gives a good face recording. I will soon be upgrading my CCTV
and I am looking as spending over £1000 to get better pictures.

Most of the cost is on the recorder and I will add cameras when I have
the money.

Then you will be wasting the money.
IMO it would be better to go down the IP camera route, then the recorder
has no bearing on the quality at all.
Even if its an analogue recorder the quality difference between a £200 one
and a £1000 is not a lot.
Maybe you just want 32 channels?

I do not want or need 32 channels.

What would you record the images with if using an IP camera? It is the
playback quality of the recordings that is important when you need to play
something back.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Check this before you buy or install.

http://www.nfh.org.uk/resources/Articles/cctv/index.php

Peter Crosland

some rather obvious "vested interests" in that link.. plus references
to "video recorders" and video stored on PCs being "inadmissable
evidence" but of course no explanations ??.....seems somewhat out of
touch ?

Any large CCTV system these days will have hard disk recorders in it.
Can't remember the time I last saw a VCR in such a location..

Course most anything on the disk can be put on a CD or if its not that
big e-mailed or FTP'd even...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/10 09:44, ARWadsworth wrote:

What would you record the images with if using an IP camera?

Computer. Disadvantage: is the computer needs to be running 24/7.
Advantage: computer (or a backup) could be in someone else's house
streaming up the DSL so the thieves cannot nick it to destroy the
evidence of their arrival.

It is the
playback quality of the recordings that is important when you need to play
something back.

Yes. It takes a reasonably decent IP camera to get a good still image
across all light levels from full sun to security light/IR.

It takes an even better (ie expensive) one to manage that in video mode.

However, I've had very good results doing still image capture from an
Axis camera (several in fact). The camera was motorised with optical
zoom, so I was able to drive it to one of 8 preset positions, grab a JPG
(and timestamp it) then instruct it to move to the next preset. We
managed timelapse at one frame-position per 40 seconds (the camera
needed 5 seconds to settle after moving) and the camera was 600 quid,
but it was effectively 8 cameras.

The image quality was excellent even in the notional dark, as we found
when thieves turned up to nick some Apple Macs.

If you got a camera of similar optical quality without the zoom/pan it
should be a lot cheaper and you'd be able to timelapse at any sensible
rate, upto probably 1-2 frames /sec.

One advantage if you can check the stuff remotely.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
On May 31, 11:50 am, Adam Aglionby wrote:

Copper downpipes, must look nice , whats the advantage?

Corrosion free and stronger than plastic. And in keeping with a house
covered in marble tiles from Italy, and a copper roof.

Any pickys?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2010 09:40:38 +0100, JTM wrote:
In article
. co.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 30 May 2010 19:06:51 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

... the recordings were allowed to be used in court ...

What sort of technical specification is advisable? I
should imagine that a blurry, smeary, B&W shot of some
one, (who could be any body) only 1/4 height of the frame
has less chance of being of use versus a sharp, defined,
colour image even with the same sized figure.

Things have improved, but when cameras were fisrt used in
football grounds, the B/W pics were far better for ID
purposes than the colour. Colour was OK for, well, colour
of clothing, but for features and sharpness of image B?W was
best. (20 yrs ago FWIW)

It's still true today that webcams interpolate colour images
as they use a matrix of camera elememts, each sensitive to a
particular colour. They're usually grouped in 4's (2x2) so the
resolution for shapes is less than the number of pixels the
camera has.
The good news is that for some webcams, it's possible to reprogram
the firmware and get the "raw" pixel images, rather than the
interpolated, colour processed picture. Amateur astronomers have
developed some sophisticated techniques that will either allow you
to get native outputs as seen by the imager, (or will "brick" your
camera if you're unlucky, don't follow the precise instructions or
try it with the wrong camera, O/S or options). Do a quick google
for webcam and raw to see what's possible.
They also have written sofwtare that can "stack" images to improve
low-light sensitivity and do some neat image processing, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thanks All - Recomendations for CCTV kit?

On 30/05/2010 18:05, Adrian C wrote:
Hi,

Owing to ongoing hassle with the next door nutty neighbour

OK, thanks all.

I'm going shopping for camera and audio modules with things to hide them
in like bird nesting boxes etc..., as I don't want to freak out other
neighbours down this road who may judge us as paranoid, and attract
other theiving idiots who may think we have won the lottery or something.

Also as the problem neighbour has a 'tit-for-tat' response for
everything, we don't want things to escalate such that doing something
worse out of camera becomes his next play. I'll have to be damm careful
when installing these so he doesn't notice what I'm up to :-(

I've previously bagged a security PVR recorder from long ago on
freecycle, and upto now have completely forgotton about it (as ye do
when junk accumulates)....

It will do for a start.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
critcher wrote:
the legality of their privacy being invaded would be tested in a
court and has nothing to do with the data protection act.

There is no enforceable 'right to privacy', in general terms.
critcher said.....................

yes there is in common law

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2010 19:24, critcher wrote:
"Steve wrote in message
critcher wrote:
the legality of their privacy being invaded would be tested in a
court and has nothing to do with the data protection act.

There is no enforceable 'right to privacy', in general terms.
critcher said.....................

yes there is in common law

IANAL but,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaye_v_Robertson

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Why IP camera?..

Because they are independent of the recorder.
They are available in HD without having to spend on a new HD recorder.
They are easy to monitor and control from a remote location.
You can get them with motion detect and they will email pictures to you so
you don't need a recorder at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
You don't have time to watch all the
recordings even at fast forward.

Luckily someone does.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...obsession.html

AKA

http://tinyurl.com/2unm9fj

"He fast-forwarded the recording, looking out for evidence of vandalism
or petty crime. Instead, he found himself witnessing cold-blooded murder."

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
Matty F wrote:
You don't have time to watch all the
recordings even at fast forward.

Luckily someone does.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...obsession.html

AKA

http://tinyurl.com/2unm9fj

"He fast-forwarded the recording, looking out for evidence of vandalism
or petty crime. Instead, he found himself witnessing cold-blooded murder."

Andy

So did he feed the bodies to the crocodile?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Why IP camera?..

Because they are independent of the recorder.

Thats meaningless depends on what your recorder will accept..

They are available in HD without having to spend on a new HD recorder.
They are easy to monitor and control from a remote location.

So, aren't ordinary cameras?..

You can get them with motion detect

So are a lot of other cameras..

and they will email pictures to you so
you don't need a recorder at all.

That could be a lot of e-mails..

So no concern for the things that make a quality pix like the lens etc?.

And do they not seem more expensive than ordinary cameras for much the
same spec?.?.
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 11:01 pm, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Matty F wrote:
On May 31, 11:50 am, Adam Aglionby wrote:

Copper downpipes, must look nice , whats the advantage?

Corrosion free and stronger than plastic. And in keeping with a house
covered in marble tiles from Italy, and a copper roof.

Any pickys?

http://i45.tinypic.com/295quzn.jpg
It's not my house by the way!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Why IP camera?..

Because they are independent of the recorder.

Thats meaningless depends on what your recorder will accept..

Its not meaningless, it is as stated they are independent of the recorder,
you do not need a recorder to use them to record images or to view them.

They are available in HD without having to spend on a new HD recorder.
They are easy to monitor and control from a remote location.

So, aren't ordinary cameras?..

Its not a function of the camera its a function of the recorder, so yes if
you have the right recorder, no if you don't.

You can get them with motion detect

So are a lot of other cameras..

I know of no analogue cameras that do motion detection.
I know of recorders that do motion detection.

and they will email pictures to you so
you don't need a recorder at all.

That could be a lot of e-mails..

At least they are stored offsite (usually).

So no concern for the things that make a quality pix like the lens etc?.

You can buy cr@p cctv cameras and cr@p recorders, the same is true of IP
cameras.

And do they not seem more expensive than ordinary cameras for much the
same spec?.?.

I think you will find they cost a similar amount for similar capability.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian C
saying something like:

Though looking at the above kit, I'm now wondering about D-I-Y rolling
my own with a security DVR card, cameras and a server box. So if anyone
has done that with cards similar to

Years ago I got a cheapy 4-input cctv pci card, a couple of cameras, and
fitted them all to an old pc as recording device.
I found the supplied software was next to useless and bought
ActiveWebCam - which is cheap and worthwhile and will motion-detect,
notify you via LAN or internet and so on and so forth. AWC is very
variable, allowing you to set it up just the way you like and it will
work with nearly any camera type you throw at it.