Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Recomendations for CCTV kit?

In article , Periproct
scribeth thus

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Hi,

Owing to ongoing hassle with the next door nutty neighbour (we've just had
trees entirely in both our front and back garden vandalised by him) I'm
looking to splash about £300-400 on four cameras and a hard drive based
recorder. Police can't take any action otherwise ;-(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/290438777726

Looks interesting - the domes will mount under the eaves of the roof,
though I've heard comments that 1/3" is a better bet than 1/4" for the
cameras.

Only interested in wired systems.

Though looking at the above kit, I'm now wondering about D-I-Y rolling my
own with a security DVR card, cameras and a server box. So if anyone has
done that with cards similar to

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/CamsecureBT878aPCICard.html

Not much to offer apart from the fact I have been running a DVR card in a PC
based system for years now. Handy for recording anything captured to DVD and
printing stills. One downside to my old DVR card is that it (apparently)
uses video overlay and LogMeIn won't display the video when I log in
remotely.
In my humble opinion I reckon the quality of the cameras is the important
thing. Most of my cameras aren't too good at seeing detail at a distance.
I'm hoping for a recommendation for a good camera at a reasonable price.
Maybe someone here might be able to help.
Regards

RF Concepts is quite a good firm to deal with over in NI but deliver to
the mainland UK next day...
--
Tony Sayer