Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default Recomendations for CCTV kit?

On 30 May, 23:59, Matty F wrote:
On May 31, 5:05 am, Adrian C wrote:

Only interested in wired systems.

I think wired is better. You should consider using the motion
detection feature of the capture card, in which case you don't want
radio interference to trigger a whole lot of useless recordings.

Though looking at the above kit, I'm now wondering about D-I-Y rolling
my own with a security DVR card, cameras and a server box. So if anyone
has done that with cards similar to

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/CamsecureBT878aPCICard.html

I have such a system on an old 500MHz computer.
I have seven cameras, with three of them detecting motion.
I've found that the cameras with a whole lot of glowing red lights are
almost useless.

Concur, it washes out number plates on axis for exaple.

People can see them too easily (and will smash or
steal them)

Get them high or vene a housing with a red ring in it

and the light is inadequate. You are better to have 150
watt sensor lights

Interstingly 120W is the new 150W in small halogen floods, totally
agree, cams dont actually need much light but 500W can cause them to
iris down missing the in the dark action.

on your property and use cheap video cameras with
no lights on them.
All you need is one camera with motion detection, then you can look at
the other cameras for evidence.

Other method is to use PIR detector to DVR/PC alarm inputs , Cat5
Baluns with audio jack if not using audio in that channle, have handy
connectorised pair and 12V available from cam supply. PIR detector
dosen`t have to be beside cam. Cat5 the wonder multirole all terrain
cable ;-)

You don't have time to watch all the
recordings even at fast forward. I recommend lots of hidden cameras.

Give them something to look at/aim for and something that watches them
watching waht they think is you, cams are small and cheap, sometimes
hidden in plain sight is good.

Have a PIR tiggered gate guardian cam that alerts me to look at other
footage if required.

I'm waiting for a guy to come back for a thrd time to steal copper
downpipes. There's a new camera two metres away from the downpipe.
I (and the police) already have his rego number.

The temptation to resist really is to not start to lay traps, it
breeds smarter mice...

Looked at the cost as another insurance policy but with a cover
lifespan of a few years.

But then for for the dumb rodent 3rd strike will hopefully see him
out, video going up on youtube ? ;-)

Copper downpipes, must look nice , whats the advantage?

Cheers
dam