Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Who pays?

Been having an intermittent problem with my boiler. Although self
installed, Viessmann have been very helpful and looked at it under
warranty. The engineer reckoned it was a software funny - as he'd seen it
before on other boilers but not all of this type. It shows a sensor as
being at fault, but a reset gets it going again. Usually happens first
thing when it changes over from heating the water to the house. This was
last Monday - and he apologised for not having the correct parts with him
but would call again when he had. Which was this morning - he phoned at
about 11.00.
Explained to him I usually had to go out between 11.30 and 12.30 due to
resident's only parking then - I have two cars but only one pass. But
thought I had a vistor's pass so it would be ok. If I hadn't I would sit
in my car with the bonnet up 'till he was finished. But did find that
single visitors pass I had left. Never even thought about him...

And of course he got a ticket. It never even occurred to me.
Would he have to pay for that himself? I'm feeling so guilty about it as
he was such a nice bloke.

--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[...]

What kind of money are you talking?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:53:39 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

And of course he got a ticket. It never even occurred to me.
Would he have to pay for that himself? I'm feeling so guilty about it as
he was such a nice bloke.

I went round to a mates (to help him) on a weekday (normally only go
round there weekends) and got a ticket, restricted parking from
12:00-13:00 weekdays.

*He* asked me to go round to help, he 'forgot' to mention the
restriction (and I didn't think to look of course) but he kindly
offered to pay the (£25) fine. ;-) [1]

I was ready to pay it myself, I was the driver after all.

Cheers, T i m

[1] I would have been happy to have gone halves with him but he
insisted based on the fact that I'd saved him a 'good few quid' by
helping him in the first place (which was nice).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Yellow wrote:
[...]

I'd imagine 20-25 quid or so. About 70 if you don't pay it quite promptly.
It really is a pain as there isn't and never has been a problem with
parking here during the day. It's too far from a station for commuters to
want to use - about 10 mins to the tube. There really should be some form
of waiver for genuine tradesmen just doing their job.

--
*Cleaned by Stevie Wonder, checked by David Blunkett*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

One thing to bear in mind, he should be able to put the parking fine as an
expense, so will get the tax back on it. He may therefore appreciate a cash
contribution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fredxx
writes
One thing to bear in mind, he should be able to put the parking fine as an
expense, so will get the tax back on it. He may therefore appreciate a cash
contribution.

I would be interested in a cite for that as our company has stated that
parking fines are the responsibility of the driver and that the company
will not pay as they do not wish to be seen condoning breaking the law.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , Fredxx
writes
One thing to bear in mind, he should be able to put the parking fine as an
expense, so will get the tax back on it. He may therefore appreciate a
cash
contribution.

I would be interested in a cite for that as our company has stated that
parking fines are the responsibility of the driver and that the company
will not pay as they do not wish to be seen condoning breaking the law.

I don't have a cite, but it can be included as an expense. Your company is
entitle to make such rules, and find any excuse to enforce them. If they
can't produce the driver they're on a sticky wicket if they refuse to pay.
The registered keeper must either produce the driver, and in the case of a
company they should keep records of who had the car, or pay up themselves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:43:41 +0000, Bill wrote:

One thing to bear in mind, he should be able to put the parking

fine as
an expense, so will get the tax back on it. He may therefore
appreciate a cash contribution.

I would be interested in a cite for that as our company has stated that
parking fines are the responsibility of the driver and that the company
will not pay as they do not wish to be seen condoning breaking the law.

I wouldn't expect a company to pay the fine for an employee but if
the person is self employed... I wonder what HMR&C think about a
parking fine as a business expense?

As for Dave's dilema with the circumstances and service he has had
I'd offer the engineer the money for the fine. Dave did have a
visitors pass after all and he doesn't want to alienate a good
contact for the sake of a few quid.

Another reason for avoiding suburbia. We had (have) a parking problem
in town in that people park almost anywhere double/single yellows or
not. I did a FOI request to the council for when and how often we get
a Traffic Warden (or whatever they are called these days). We only
get visits when the single yellows are in force (Spring to Autumn)
and then only 6 times a month if we are (un)lucky.

Mind you anyone who gets a ticket on the shiny new double yellows can
contest it and win, They have changed a single yellow to double but
not the signage. Where the signage actually exists that is, some is
just a grey post or a yellow plate with nothing on...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message..
And of course he got a ticket. It never even occurred to me.
Would he have to pay for that himself? I'm feeling so guilty about it as
he was such a nice bloke.

One thing to bear in mind, he should be able to put the parking fine as an
expense, so will get the tax back on it. He may therefore appreciate a cash
contribution.

Not for the last 2 Companies I worked for.
Both stated you must comply with the Law, and any fines you get must be
paid by the driver at the time. This included parking fines in central
London when working on call-outs.

Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I think they argued about it at Comet. And they eventually got told "
no safe parking no job"
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

Mind you anyone who gets a ticket on the shiny new double yellows can
contest it and win, They have changed a single yellow to double but
not the signage. Where the signage actually exists that is, some is
just a grey post or a yellow plate with nothing on...

I think that has changed, double-yellow lines now mean "no waiting at
any time" by default and don't need upright signs to go with them unless
to qualify them in some way, eg as seasonal.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Yellow wrote:
[...]

IME of company cars the driver ends up paying.

What kind of money are you talking?

I'd imagine 20-25 quid or so. About 70 if you don't pay it quite
promptly. It really is a pain as there isn't and never has been a
problem with parking here during the day. It's too far from a station
for commuters to want to use - about 10 mins to the tube. There
really should be some form of waiver for genuine tradesmen just doing
their job.

I wish :-(

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
[...]

If he is self employed he might - but I'm not too sure. If emplyed it comes
out of his wages.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , Fredxx
writes
One thing to bear in mind, he should be able to put the parking fine
as an expense, so will get the tax back on it. He may therefore
appreciate a cash contribution.

I would be interested in a cite for that as our company has stated
that parking fines are the responsibility of the driver and that the
company will not pay as they do not wish to be seen condoning
breaking the law.

From HMRC site;

" Parking fees for business purposes may be claimed, parking fines and
penalties for motoring expenses are not claimable as business expenses for
tax purposes".

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fredxx
writes
One thing to bear in mind, he should be able to put the parking fine as an
expense, so will get the tax back on it. He may therefore appreciate a cash
contribution.

I wouldn't bet on it, the bunch I work for won't allow us to.

--
Clint Sharp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I recall back around 2004 several of the delivery companies in London
saying they could only deliver to our offices in the City if we provided
them with a parking place or agreed to pay their parking fines. Otherwise
we had to collect from their depots. This resulted in quite an outcry
from many companies in the City, and I think there's now a scheme in
place which allows delivery drivers a tiny bit of leeway, sometimes.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I recall back around 2004 several of the delivery companies in London
saying they could only deliver to our offices in the City if we provided
them with a parking place or agreed to pay their parking fines. Otherwise
we had to collect from their depots. This resulted in quite an outcry
from many companies in the City, and I think there's now a scheme in
place which allows delivery drivers a tiny bit of leeway, sometimes.

As I said the restriction here is only between 11.30-12.30 to prevent
commuter parking. But then we're not *that* close to a station. Within the
same zone, close to a station it's all the working day - and a visitor or
trade daily pass costs a lot more.
But it is rigidly enforced here. A spotter on a scooter drives round at
before 11.30 and radios in vehicles without permits. A foot patrol arrives
shortly after 11.30 and does the paperwork and takes pics. Same thing
happens just before 12.30. I have an alarm on both this computer and the
one in the workshop set for 11.20 just in case I've got absorbed in what
I'm doing. I well remember having to go to the loo before going out one
day (dodgy curry the night before) and getting to the car a few minutes
late to find a ticket on it. I took a time stamped pic on my phone and
sent off an appeal stating what had happened. They did waive the fine.

--
*The average person falls asleep in seven minutes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
wrote:

[...]

The law has always allowed for 'loading' time but when parking was handed
over to local authorities (who see it as a revenue source) they didn't
interpret it properly.

They claimed that loading had to be 'continuously observed' - in other words
if they see someone walking to & fro across the pavement carrying boxes its
delivery - which could be on the tenth floor.

A few years ago we moved a washing machine to my daughters house & parked on
a yellow whilst we manhandled it around a corner, through the house & into
the utility room. I got a ticket & appealed & won on the basis of loading
to point of delivery.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
wrote:

[...]

carrying boxes its loading. AFAIK 'loading' counts as taking the
parcel to the point of delivery - which could be on the tenth floor.

A few years ago we moved a washing machine to my daughters house &
parked on a yellow whilst we manhandled it around a corner, through
the house & into the utility room. I got a ticket & appealed & won
on the basis of loading to point of delivery.

Many years ago, I talked to a warden and they said they would allow 9
minutes for loading. I have no idea why the arbitrary time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Many years ago, I talked to a warden and they said they would allow 9
minutes for loading. I have no idea why the arbitrary time.

cos that how long it took him to check the rest of the street.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
Many years ago, I talked to a warden and they said they would allow 9
minutes for loading. I have no idea why the arbitrary time.

That may have been the case here too as it was 10 minutes or so after the
deadline my chap left and the warden had just put the ticket on his van.
They'll do cars much sooner than that.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
[...]

Bugger. I got a ticket today in a residents parking area.

The rules are 1 hour max stay apart from permit holders and no return in 2
hours. I parked up, unloaded my tools and had a cup of tea with the customer
whilst we discussed what work we would be doing and how it would be done. I
then went and displayed the parking permit the customer had given me.
Shortly after I got a ticket.

When I later had words with the warden she said when she first recorded my
van there was no permit visible and so when she passed an hour later she
ticketed my van. Her argument was I should have displayed the permit when I
first parked up and not 45 minutes later. I do not agree with her.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
[...]

VERY important point.

I got off a ticket once.

The ticket was for not having paid for a parking meter.

I had paid, so I sent them the ticket showing I had, and expected an end
to it.

No, I got doubled up for the privilege, and the warden then complained
teh ticket was upside down on the dash. (it wasn't: it was right side
up on the dash) and the offence became failure to display..correctly
(whatever that means) I complained that it wasn't beyond the bounds to
read an upside down ticket. I got doubled up again. Think it was £180 by
this time. I went to legal appeal where it was rejected BECAUSE THE
ORIGINAL TICKET WAS FAILURE TO PAY, NOT FAILURE TO DISPLAY CORRECTLY. It
is illegal to change the offence apparently, to suit the facts if they
turn out to be different.

So..

check to see what's written on the ticket.

If it says failure to display, you may be buggered. If it says failure
to have a residents permit, which you clearly had, you may yet get away
with it.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Bugger. I got a ticket today in a residents parking area.

The rules are 1 hour max stay apart from permit holders and no return in
2 hours. I parked up, unloaded my tools and had a cup of tea with the
customer whilst we discussed what work we would be doing and how it
would be done. I then went and displayed the parking permit the
customer had given me. Shortly after I got a ticket.

When I later had words with the warden she said when she first recorded
my van there was no permit visible and so when she passed an hour later
she ticketed my van. Her argument was I should have displayed the permit
when I first parked up and not 45 minutes later. I do not agree with her.

Write a polite letter to the appropriate council department (should be on
the ticket) explaining this 'old lady' took some time to find a pass.
They'll usually cave in. But do it as soon as possible.

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

I see your sig is watching the messages again:-)

Dave

The fine is £60 reduced to £30 if I pay within 2 weeks.

I will be posting a cheque for £30 tommorrow along with a polite letter
explaining
the situation (and yes it was an old lady who owned the house). The worst
case scenario is that I lose £30.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I had paid, so I sent them the ticket showing I had, and expected an end
to it.

No, I got doubled up for the privilege,

Here they put any doubling of the fine for late payment on hold if you
appeal. And give you a set time to pay after they've informed you you've
lost that appeal. If you decide to take it further and inform them, it
again goes on hold.

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Write a polite letter to the appropriate council department (should be on
the ticket) explaining this 'old lady' took some time to find a pass.
They'll usually cave in. But do it as soon as possible.

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

I see your sig is watching the messages again:-)

Computers have no intelligence. ;-)

Dave

The fine is £60 reduced to £30 if I pay within 2 weeks.

I will be posting a cheque for £30 tommorrow along with a polite letter
explaining the situation (and yes it was an old lady who owned the
house). The worst case scenario is that I lose £30.

Here, you don't need to pay immediately if you lodge an appeal. The
doubling up also goes on hold until you hear from them. Paying the fine
could be taken as an admission of guilt. ;-)

--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

The council have responded to my letter. They have cancelled the ticket.

After checking the councils web site (which was clearer than the info on the
ticket) it was clear that if you appealled to the council and lost you would
still have the chance to pay at the reduced rate.

I do not get many parking tickets. That was the third one in 20 years and I
was guilty on the first two.

Cheers

Adam