Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Who pays?

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:43:41 +0000, Bill wrote:

One thing to bear in mind, he should be able to put the parking

fine as
an expense, so will get the tax back on it. He may therefore
appreciate a cash contribution.

I would be interested in a cite for that as our company has stated that
parking fines are the responsibility of the driver and that the company
will not pay as they do not wish to be seen condoning breaking the law.

I wouldn't expect a company to pay the fine for an employee but if
the person is self employed... I wonder what HMR&C think about a
parking fine as a business expense?

As for Dave's dilema with the circumstances and service he has had
I'd offer the engineer the money for the fine. Dave did have a
visitors pass after all and he doesn't want to alienate a good
contact for the sake of a few quid.

Another reason for avoiding suburbia. We had (have) a parking problem
in town in that people park almost anywhere double/single yellows or
not. I did a FOI request to the council for when and how often we get
a Traffic Warden (or whatever they are called these days). We only
get visits when the single yellows are in force (Spring to Autumn)
and then only 6 times a month if we are (un)lucky.

Mind you anyone who gets a ticket on the shiny new double yellows can
contest it and win, They have changed a single yellow to double but
not the signage. Where the signage actually exists that is, some is
just a grey post or a yellow plate with nothing on...

--
Cheers
Dave.