Old September 17th 09, 07:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toothbrush change - are the sonic ones worth the money?

Tim Lamb asked about changing the head on a toothbrush on an earlier thread
and it made me think abount changing my toothbrush for a sonic version.

Are the sonic toothbrushes really that good?

Any recommendations on a model or any good/bad experiences using them are
welcome about them before I splash out 100 on one

Adam

Old September 17th 09, 07:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...
Tim Lamb asked about changing the head on a toothbrush on an earlier
thread and it made me think abount changing my toothbrush for a sonic
version.

Are the sonic toothbrushes really that good?

Any recommendations on a model or any good/bad experiences using them are
welcome about them before I splash out 100 on one

Adam

I have a Phillips Sonicare, and I think it is a pile of crap.
The previous one ... a Braun was much better.

Old September 17th 09, 08:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...
Tim Lamb asked about changing the head on a toothbrush on an earlier
thread and it made me think abount changing my toothbrush for a sonic
version.

Are the sonic toothbrushes really that good?

Any recommendations on a model or any good/bad experiences using them
are welcome about them before I splash out 100 on one

Adam

I have a Phillips Sonicare, and I think it is a pile of crap.
The previous one ... a Braun was much better.

I have an oral b braun Triumph which is not sonic but works quite well.
So far as I could tell there was no evidence sonic were of much use
outside a dental surgery.
Old September 17th 09, 08:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:37:06 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...
Tim Lamb asked about changing the head on a toothbrush on an earlier
thread and it made me think abount changing my toothbrush for a sonic
version.

Are the sonic toothbrushes really that good?

Any recommendations on a model or any good/bad experiences using them are
welcome about them before I splash out 100 on one

Adam

I have a Phillips Sonicare, and I think it is a pile of crap.
The previous one ... a Braun was much better.

I've got a sonicare too. The biggest problem I have with it is navigating
the maze of which replacement heads are compatible with which model. Plus
heads are blindingly expensive. last time I needed a new head (!) it was
cheaper to buy a brand new Braun brush + charger than a new Philips head.
Old September 17th 09, 09:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 17 Sep,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

Tim Lamb asked about changing the head on a toothbrush on an earlier
thread
and it made me think abount changing my toothbrush for a sonic version.

Are the sonic toothbrushes really that good?

I've had one for several years. My gums are in a better state now than
they
have been for years. Heads don't last me long. 2-3 a year.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

My son, who is a dentist, bought me a philips sonicare six or seven years
ago. I have had no problems with it or my teeth since. In fact my gums are
much better than they used to be. I get through 2 heads per year and they
are expensive but not as expensive as implants!

Lawrence

Old September 17th 09, 09:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 17:21:02 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Tim Lamb asked about changing the head on a toothbrush on an earlier thread
and it made me think abount changing my toothbrush for a sonic version.

Are the sonic toothbrushes really that good?

Any recommendations on a model or any good/bad experiences using them are
welcome about them before I splash out 100 on one

Adam

I have a sonicare and an ultrasonex and use one morning and one
nightly. It covers all my needs and I am happy with both, any failure
of one is covered by the other.

The sonicare heads are expensive but not if you buy carefully. A 5
head lasts me at least 6 months, and an ordinary toothbrush lasts me 4
weeks and costs 2 so I am well in with the cost of the more expensive
head. I treated my wife to a sonicare last xmas and we have just
stocked up on eight spare heads which will last us years.

The new sonicare uses heads like some of the braun ones and come as 5
heads for 20, but the handle is a silly price, unless you can shop
around over a period of time.

With regards the ultrasonex, I am told that the newer braun equivalent
are better, but the ultrasonex is the nicest toothbrush of any type
that I have ever held or used. The shape is perfect for oral use.
Old September 17th 09, 10:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Sep, 18:37, "Rick Hughes" wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

om... Tim Lamb asked about changing the head on a toothbrush on an earlier
thread and it made me think abount changing my toothbrush for a sonic
version.

Are the sonic toothbrushes really that good?

Any recommendations on a model or any good/bad experiences using them are
welcome about them before I splash out 100 on one

Adam

I have a Phillips Sonicare, and I think it is a pile of crap.
The previous one ... a Braun was much better.

Philips dont make a good anything!!
Old September 17th 09, 10:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Sep, 20:27, wrote:
the ultrasonex is the nicest toothbrush of any type
that I have ever held or used. The shape is perfect for oral use.

As opposed to?

Old September 17th 09, 11:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 6:21*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Tim Lamb asked about changing the head on a toothbrush on an earlier thread
and it made me think abount changing my toothbrush for a sonic version.

Are the sonic toothbrushes really that good?

Any recommendations on a model or any good/bad experiences using them are
welcome about them before I splash out 100 on one

Adam

afaik most electric toothbrushes work above 20Hz, making them sonic

My dentist recommended a braun fwiw.

NT
Old September 18th 09, 12:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, ARWadsworth wrote:
Tim Lamb asked about changing the head on a toothbrush on an earlier
thread and it made me think abount changing my toothbrush for a sonic
version.

Are the sonic toothbrushes really that good?

Any recommendations on a model or any good/bad experiences using them
are welcome about them before I splash out 100 on one

We had a Braun for a few years and thought it was pretty good.

When it got lost with our luggage we bought a new one and decided on a
Philips instead.

The Philips is miles better. And the heads last a lot longer.

Boots have a special offer at the moment, 69.99 for the basic model
which has "only" two programmes (all you need TBH).

--
Mike Barnes