Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is it worth a career change?

Excellent responses folks. Thank you very much. On a related note, I
was in Plano, Texas on a business trip last week (in fact I'll be in
Plano till Dec 22), so I went up to Curly Woods in McKinney
(http://www.curlywoods.com/) and man-oh-man was I impressed. That's the
kind of business I now want .... but I hung around on for about 45
minutes chatting with the owner on Saturday morning (a time I'd expect
to be busy) and there was only 2 customers that actually purchased
anything. One paid $47, the other I'm not sure but I'd guess $150. At
that rate I don't see how he pays the rent!

BTW, this place really has much better wood and more species than the
places I shop in Colorado: Diverse Hardwoods in Longmont, Paxton's in
Denver, and Sears Trostel in Fort Collins. I think Curly Woods really
specializes in extremely high end quality woods - of course the prices
reflect that.

Never Enough Money wrote:
I'm in my early 50's and have been a programmer, designer, and manger
of same for almost 30 years. I feel it's time for a change but still
have to pay a mortgage and 3 kids in college.

I'd love to open a Woodcrat store. Does anyone have any idea how much I
could take home? I know it depends on location, location, location, and
other things like the qulaity of help, etc. But are we talking $40K and
that's a struggle or $400K? What should be my expectations?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Excellent responses folks. Thank you very much. On a related note, I
was in Plano, Texas on a business trip last week (in fact I'll be in
Plano till Dec 22), so I went up to Curly Woods in McKinney
(http://www.curlywoods.com/) and man-oh-man was I impressed. That's the
kind of business I now want .... but I hung around on for about 45
minutes chatting with the owner on Saturday morning (a time I'd expect
to be busy) and there was only 2 customers that actually purchased
anything. One paid $47, the other I'm not sure but I'd guess $150. At
that rate I don't see how he pays the rent!

I too have been to Curley Woods once, on a Saturday morning. Again 2
customers and I was one of them in 45 minutes. I don't see how he keeps the
doors open either. He does have a web site so I suspect internet sales
help.

BTW, this place really has much better wood and more species than the
places I shop in Colorado: Diverse Hardwoods in Longmont, Paxton's in
Denver, and Sears Trostel in Fort Collins. I think Curly Woods really
specializes in extremely high end quality woods - of course the prices
reflect that.

If ever in Houston, look at Clarks/Hardwood Lumber. Probably 5 times more
variety and 50 times more quantity than Curley Woods. Really a cool place
that you could spend most of a day looking through the 3 large buildings.

Is it worth a career change? Never Enough Money Woodworking 53 December 8th 06 04:32 PM
Potterton EP3000 backup battery change? Worth it? vortex2 UK diy 19 July 11th 05 11:26 PM
Want a new career? bojedis Woodturning 0 July 7th 05 06:09 AM
Want a new career? bojedis Metalworking 0 July 7th 05 06:03 AM
First career, last career Puff Griffis Woodworking 16 March 1st 04 05:41 AM