vortex2

Default Potterton EP3000 backup battery change? Worth it?

Hi,

My EP3000 CH/HW controller's standby battery is knackered.

IIRC is used to maintain program for several hours in the event of power
outage. Today it lasts no longer than a few minutes. Very annoying.

Anyone out there ever attempted to repair/replace the battery? Is it easy?

I'm sorely tempted to buy a brand new Honeywell ST6400C (Potterton
successor).

Thoughts/comments?

David

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
vortex2 wrote:
My EP3000 CH/HW controller's standby battery is knackered.

IIRC is used to maintain program for several hours in the event of power
outage. Today it lasts no longer than a few minutes. Very annoying.

Anyone out there ever attempted to repair/replace the battery? Is it
easy?

Yes - I've done it on my Honeywell. Maplin stocked the correct battery
pack, but this was some years ago.

This might give you a guide.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=1253&MenuName=Back-Up&worldid=7&FromMenu=y&doy=8m7

Or RS, CPC, etc.

--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message , vortex2
writes
Hi,

My EP3000 CH/HW controller's standby battery is knackered.

IIRC is used to maintain program for several hours in the event of power
outage. Today it lasts no longer than a few minutes. Very annoying.

Anyone out there ever attempted to repair/replace the battery? Is it easy?

Piece of ****

4.6v NiMH oval battery

about 3 quid from CPC, I presume Maplins also sell them

I presume you know how to get the programmer off the backplate

--
geoff
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
raden wrote:
Anyone out there ever attempted to repair/replace the battery? Is it
easy?

Piece of ****

4.6v NiMH oval battery

I've wondered about whether NiMH is a suitable replacement for NiCad in
this situation?

I gave up wondering a couple of thousand battery replacements ago

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
I've wondered about whether NiMH is a suitable replacement for NiCad in
this situation?

I gave up wondering a couple of thousand battery replacements ago

Ok ;-)

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Vortex

"raden" wrote in message
In message , vortex2
writes
Hi,

My EP3000 CH/HW controller's standby battery is knackered.

IIRC is used to maintain program for several hours in the event of power
outage. Today it lasts no longer than a few minutes. Very annoying.

Anyone out there ever attempted to repair/replace the battery? Is it
easy?

Piece of ****

4.6v NiMH oval battery

about 3 quid from CPC, I presume Maplins also sell them

I presume you know how to get the programmer off the backplate

--
geoff

Thanks,

Just got back from MAPLINS. Job done. First use of my solder sucker this
side of the millennium.

MAPLIN man said I risked catastrophy if I replace NiCad with NiMH. Let's
see!

David

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
4.6v NiMH oval battery

Eh? ;-)

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message , Vortex
writes
Anyone out there ever attempted to repair/replace the battery? Is it
easy?

Piece of ****

4.6v NiMH oval battery

about 3 quid from CPC, I presume Maplins also sell them

I presume you know how to get the programmer off the backplate

--
geoff

Thanks,

Just got back from MAPLINS. Job done. First use of my solder sucker this
side of the millennium.

MAPLIN man said I risked catastrophy if I replace NiCad with NiMH. Let's
see!

I can assure you, there's no problem

What sort of catastrophe do they expect ?

I replace loads of them for service companies who send me non
functioning ones to repair

What do you need a solder sucker for ? The battery just pops out of the
back of the programmer

--
geoff
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
raden wrote:
4.6v NiMH oval battery

Eh? ;-)

Just checking you were awake at the back there

OK, complex arithmetic like 1.2 * 3 is beyond me after 6 Rochefort #10s

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=BT00152&N=411

--
geoff
Vortex

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Vortex
writes
[...]

I can assure you it was soldered in on my one. Had to dismantle programmer
to component PCB's!

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Vortex wrote:
I can assure you it was soldered in on my one. Had to dismantle
programmer to component PCB's!

Certainly was on my Honeywell too. Most of these cell packs come with PCB
mounting tags. Spring contacts would be a source of trouble on something
with a life like this.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
wrote:
Certainly was on my Honeywell too. Most of these cell packs come with
PCB mounting tags. Spring contacts would be a source of trouble on
something with a life like this.

One of mine had a socket arrangement like a pp3. It wasn't 9volt, and I
couldn't get a replacement anywhere. As the mains is reliable it hasn't
bothered us, but inhibits alterations to the ring it is on.

Are you sure it is a re-chargeable type? I had an ancient Acorn computer
where the backup was simply two zinc carbon AA cells. And they lasted as
long as a rechargeable. About 7 years.

--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message , Vortex
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Vortex
writes
[...]

Strange, every one I've ever seen is held in between sprung electrodes

Maybe one of the springs has disintegrated in the past and it's been
modified

--
geoff
Chip

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:58:46 +0100,it is alleged that
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

[snip]

Just re-checked the battery, It's larger tags than a pp3, one each end. It's
cylindrical made up of 8 cells, it's 33mm dia and 70 mm long.

On end it says VARTA 250DK

On the side it says Do not incinerate D86
Tel 0460 73366

Controller is a Sunvic.

The Varta 250DK is 1.2 volt, 250mAh rechargeable NiCd, if (as you say)
it's 8 cells, that would mean 9.6 volt at 250mAh. These batteries or
their replacements *seem* to be available still. (I got the above
information by googling for Varta 250DK).

HTH

--
The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those
which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity.
raden

Vortex wrote:
I can assure you it was soldered in on my one. Had to dismantle
programmer to component PCB's!

Certainly was on my Honeywell too.

Yes, but they're of a completely different shell construction

Most of these cell packs come with PCB
mounting tags. Spring contacts would be a source of trouble on something
with a life like this.

Yes they are, the plating comes off, they corrode and sometimes they
break

--
geoff

raden

In message , PC Paul
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , writes
On 11 Jul,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
Certainly was on my Honeywell too. Most of these cell packs come
with
PCB mounting tags. Spring contacts would be a source of trouble on
something with a life like this.

One of mine had a socket arrangement like a pp3. It wasn't 9volt, and
couldn't get a replacement anywhere. As the mains is reliable it
hasn't
bothered us, but inhibits alterations to the ring it is on.

Are you sure it is a re-chargeable type? I had an ancient Acorn computer
where the backup was simply two zinc carbon AA cells. And they lasted as
long as a rechargeable. About 7 years.

I traced out the circuit. It's definitely intended for a rechargable
battery.

Just re-checked the battery, It's larger tags than a pp3, one each end.
It's
cylindrical made up of 8 cells, it's 33mm dia and 70 mm long.

On end it says VARTA 250DK

On the side it says Do not incinerate D86
Tel 0460 73366

Controller is a Sunvic.

Hmm ... not seen one of those in a programmer before, it must be a bit old
to require such a voltage

If you need a replacement battery, AllBatteries are an agent for varta

and ...

A gold star for anyone who knows what VARTA means

http://www.uk.varta-microbattery.com...home/index.php if you just
want to get the specs.

Oh, and "Vertrieb, Aufladung, Reparatur Transportabler Akkumulatoren" of
course ;-)

You can have two gold stars for that
(as long as you weren't listening when I posted that a few years ago)

Strange how batteries are at the end, but are the only thing that most
people know about varta

--
geoff
PC Paul

"raden" wrote in message
In message , PC Paul
writes

http://www.uk.varta-microbattery.com...home/index.php if you just
want to get the specs.

Oh, and "Vertrieb, Aufladung, Reparatur Transportabler Akkumulatoren" of
course ;-)

You can have two gold stars for that
(as long as you weren't listening when I posted that a few years ago)

Nope, just know enough German to grub through the German results on
google...It was there in Jaopanese too but that's generally beyond me ;-)

(Although I did get an old service manual from a Japanese site when just
about every other site had let it drop... numbers are often left in 'roman')