Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ouch- eletrocution (oh deer)

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
Adrian wrote:
(Andrew Gabriel) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

This one not so lucky...

http://www.ushuntingtoday.com/photos.../accident.html
I'm very surprised that there's not large amounts of vomit all over that
dash...

As I said, 50mph the cars a wreck but you aren't, at 70mph,( is that

A deer hitting you at 50MPH kills you - that was part of one
of the campaigns in one area of driver deaths, where you
couldn't get above 50 anyway just because of the road alone.

Where? modern cars are designed to throw things they hit straight up
over the bonnet curve.

They're designed with little spindly snap-off legs to hold the
body weight at windscreen smashing height,

Er, no, they are not. They are actually in this country not much bigger
than a (pretty) large dog. Now horses..there the body weight IS in line
with the screen.

Also the moose, but we don't have them here.

and the only way
you'd survive that is if you don't hit square on with the body
in front of you. (The one above looks like just the head went
through the windscreen.)

Its a moose anyway allegedly. Much bigger animal. similar to reindeer.
Which is why Volvos...;-)

deer blood or human blood, or both)..could easily decapitate you.

One I read about on the road I used to use was killed by a
crushed chest -- ribs all smashed into all the chest organs.
It's also common to miss the deer, but smash into a tree.

I'd pick the deer probably. Try for a glancing blow. A bit softer than a
tree.

No airbag either..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Adrian wrote:
(Andrew Gabriel) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

This one not so lucky...

http://www.ushuntingtoday.com/photos.../accident.html

I'm very surprised that there's not large amounts of vomit all over
that dash...

As I said, 50mph the cars a wreck but you aren't, at 70mph,( is that
deer blood or human blood, or both)..could easily decapitate you.

No airbag either..

How do you know? Decceleration wouldn't necessarily have been high and the
airbag probably wouldn't have activated.

Clearly he would have been better off in a RHD car. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ouch- eletrocution

So, what speed is that when the distance to the side is about..errm 3 feet
to the woods?

6mph or so, including thinking time?

Probably too fast for someone on a bike.
You would probably escape without injury in a car.

I have certainly seen the odd cyclist at 12mph fall off on account of
deer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:38:04 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They're designed with little spindly snap-off legs to hold the body
weight at windscreen smashing height,

Er, no, they are not. They are actually in this country not much bigger
than a (pretty) large dog. Now horses..there the body weight IS in line
with the screen.

Also the moose, but we don't have them here.

Moose: this one didn't get all the way through..

http://www.iceagenow.com/Moose1.jpg
http://www.riverinesailor.com/images/Moose.Car2.jpg

but this is what I'd be more worried about:

http://nobreakdowns.com/blog/uploaded_images/Through-the-Roof-716794.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They're designed with little spindly snap-off legs to hold the body
weight at windscreen smashing height,

Er, no, they are not. They are actually in this country not much bigger
than a (pretty) large dog. Now horses..there the body weight IS in line
with the screen.

Also the moose, but we don't have them here.

Moose: this one didn't get all the way through..

http://www.iceagenow.com/Moose1.jpg

Er..its lying on the BOOT. so it must have.

http://www.riverinesailor.com/images/Moose.Car2.jpg

but this is what I'd be more worried about:

http://nobreakdowns.com/blog/uploaded_images/Through-the-Roof-716794.jpg

Big ****ers, mooses.

Thank goodness our deer aren't the size of donkeys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:21:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

PCPaul wrote:

Moose: this one didn't get all the way through..

http://www.iceagenow.com/Moose1.jpg

Er..its lying on the BOOT. so it must have.

Not all of it.

http://www.riverinesailor.com/images/Moose.Car2.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Er, no, they are not. They are actually in this country not much bigger
than a (pretty) large dog. Now horses..there the body weight IS in line
with the screen.

Also the moose, but we don't have them here.

When in the Middle East, the warning was about the extreme danger of
camels. Lots and lots of nasty accidents. The animal's body would fall
down onto the car, even many a 4x4.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , PCPaul
scribeth thus

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They're designed with little spindly snap-off legs to hold the body
weight at windscreen smashing height,

Er, no, they are not. They are actually in this country not much bigger
than a (pretty) large dog. Now horses..there the body weight IS in line
with the screen.

Also the moose, but we don't have them here.

Moose: this one didn't get all the way through..

http://www.iceagenow.com/Moose1.jpg
http://www.riverinesailor.com/images/Moose.Car2.jpg

but this is what I'd be more worried about:

http://nobreakdowns.com/blog/uploaded_images/Through-the-Roof-716794.jpg

And did the driver get away with it?.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:11:07 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

but this is what I'd be more worried about:

http://nobreakdowns.com/blog/uploaded_images/Through-the-Roof-716794.jpg

As the TNP says:

"modern cars are designed to throw things they hit straight up over the
bonnet curve".

And into the windscreen/roof.

Roe deer are about 2' at the shoulder, that's above the leading bonnet
line on most cars and the 25 odd kg of animal is the shovelled up the
bonnet into the windscreen.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

We are better off without his genes in the pool.

Darwin claims another couple

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/8095826.stm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember tony sayer
saying something like:

I used to think so, but a flashover from rail to actual earth via a
branch I threw onto a rail convinced me otherwise. This was about 45
years ago on an 25kV OHL urban system.

U vandal or was this a ligit experiment..

Was about ten at the time, so a bit of both
Curious minds and all that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:11:07 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

but this is what I'd be more worried about:

http://nobreakdowns.com/blog/uploaded_images/Through-the-Roof-716794.jpg

As the TNP says:

"modern cars are designed to throw things they hit straight up over the
bonnet curve".

And into the windscreen/roof.

Roe deer are about 2' at the shoulder, that's above the leading bonnet
line on most cars and the 25 odd kg of animal is the shovelled up the
bonnet into the windscreen.

The deer I see on the road are much taller that that, although I
can't tell you what type they are -- the adults stand taller than
a car, although not an SUV, providing you exclude the antlers.

I've had the small ones you describe in the garden though (assumed
they were Muntjacs, but could be wrong), but they're very different
from the ones I drive past in the woods.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article et,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:11:07 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

but this is what I'd be more worried about:

http://nobreakdowns.com/blog/uploaded_images/Through-the-Roof-716794.jpg

As the TNP says:

"modern cars are designed to throw things they hit straight up over the
bonnet curve".

And into the windscreen/roof.

Roe deer are about 2' at the shoulder, that's above the leading bonnet
line on most cars and the 25 odd kg of animal is the shovelled up the
bonnet into the windscreen.

The deer I see on the road are much taller that that, although I
can't tell you what type they are -- the adults stand taller than
a car, although not an SUV, providing you exclude the antlers.

He said 'shoulder line' Not 'erect head height'

Which is more like about 4 foot.At a stretch, they can browse up to
about head height. I've seen little deer damage above that anyway.

Red deer are bigger, and fallow a bit smaller. There are very few wild
Red deer in England..mostly Scotland. Roe deer are increasing
exponentially and are becoming a pest, and the fallow too, though not in
such numbers.

I've had the small ones you describe in the garden though (assumed
they were Muntjacs, but could be wrong), but they're very different
from the ones I drive past in the woods.

Muntjacs look like a cross between a dog and a wallaby. All rear end and
no front legs at all. About the same size as a medium dog. Ugly things.
Look best in stews.

Wiki
"The Roe Deer is a relatively small deer, with a body length of 95-135
cm (3.1 - 4.4 ft), a shoulder height of 65-75 cm (2.1 - 2.5 ft), and a
weight of 15-30 kg (33-66 lb)."

"The Fallow Deer (Dama dama) is a ruminant mammal belonging to the
family Cervidae.

The male is a buck, the female is a doe, and the young a fawn. Bucks are
140-160 cm long and 90-100 cm shoulder height, and 60-85 kg in weight;
does are 130-150 cm long and 75-85 cm shoulder height, and 30-50 kg in
weight. "

Oh. It appears that fallow deer are bigger than roe? Not round here they
aint, but the antlers are much more impressive.

Hmm. Not sure there data on Muntjak is any more accurate. They have them
the same size as roe deer..

Compare and contrast with those pictires of MOOSE strikes

"On average, an adult moose stands 1.8--2.1 m (6--7 ft) high at the
shoulder[6]. Males weigh 380--720 kg (850--1580 pounds) and females weigh
270--360 kg (600--800 pounds).[7] The largest of all is the Alaskan
subspecies (A. a. gigas), which can stand over 2.1 m (7 ft) at the
shoulder, has a span across the antlers of 1.8 m (6 ft) and averages
634.5 kg (1,396 lbs) in males and 478 kg (1,052 lbs) in females.[8]
Typically, however, the antlers of a mature specimen are between 1.2 m
(3.9 ft) and 1.5 m (4.9 ft). The largest confirmed size for this species
was a bull shot at the Yukon River in September 1897 weighing 820 kg
(1,800 lb) and was 233 cm (92 in) tall at the shoulder.[9] The Moose of
Alaska matches the extinct Irish Elk as the largest deer of all
time.[10] Behind only the bisons, the Moose is the second largest land
animal in both North America and Europe."

Like a moose is half a ton and the mass is situated CG wise ABOVE the
bonnet line. VERY nasty.

Whereas a Roe or Fallow CG wise is probably at or around the bonnet
line. And up to a hundred times less mass.

Of course all small deer progress in leaps and bounds, so if you are
unlucky enough to hit one in full bound, its a lot higher up.

Even the biggest English deer is not much heavier than an adolescent of
child, and we all know European safety standards mean you are safe
hitting these at quite high speeds.;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon scribeth thus
drugs began to take hold. I remember tony sayer
saying something like:

I used to think so, but a flashover from rail to actual earth via a
branch I threw onto a rail convinced me otherwise. This was about 45
years ago on an 25kV OHL urban system.

U vandal or was this a ligit experiment..

Was about ten at the time, so a bit of both
Curious minds and all that.

Well it was just pennies on the line for us under steamers, but there
were some trees near the lines and on one of them we'd climb and jump
from branch to branch some 50-60 feet above ground level and got away
with it !..

Yoof of today got no bottle at all!, why they just sit inside playin
away on their computers and x-box's and wii's !....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
tony sayer wrote:

In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon scribeth thus

U vandal or was this a ligit experiment..

Was about ten at the time, so a bit of both
Curious minds and all that.

Well it was just pennies on the line for us under steamers, but there
were some trees near the lines and on one of them we'd climb and jump
from branch to branch some 50-60 feet above ground level and got away
with it !..

Yoof of today got no bottle at all!, why they just sit inside playin
away on their computers and x-box's and wii's !....
--
Tony Sayer

We used to make knives from 6inch nails, a couple of hundred tons
of steam locomotive made them so flat you just needed to file an
edge to get a sharp blade.
We used to jump onto the guards van at rear and climb electricity
pylons.

Another scary dare was to lie in a tunnel (between the tunnel wall
and track) when the steam engine came thundering through.

Mad yoofs indeed.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

We used to eat After Eight Mints at 7 o'clock so there.

No wonder the country's gone to the dogs!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

Er, no, they are not. They are actually in this country not much bigger
than a (pretty) large dog. Now horses..there the body weight IS in line
with the screen.

Indeed.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qihmjgwgmmr
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 08:43:55 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:
We used to eat After Eight Mints at 7 o'clock so there.

Genius

I always used to wonder what happened after you ate more than eight of
them - the box didn't tell you.

Can't get 'em this side of the Atlantic (at least not locally, anyway) :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

Er, no, they are not. They are actually in this country not much
bigger than a (pretty) large dog. Now horses..there the body weight
IS in line with the screen.

Indeed.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qihmjgwgmmr

WTF is that all about? I've just won an Audi A3, got 30 assorted funny
cursors & the offer of a cheap i phone.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

Er, no, they are not. They are actually in this country not much
bigger than a (pretty) large dog. Now horses..there the body weight
IS in line with the screen.

Indeed.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qihmjgwgmmr

WTF is that all about? I've just won an Audi A3, got 30 assorted funny
cursors & the offer of a cheap i phone.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Try

http://tinypic.com/r/15heeyw/5

and you can win Esther Ranstzen or a good look a like.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

Er, no, they are not. They are actually in this country not much
bigger than a (pretty) large dog. Now horses..there the body weight
IS in line with the screen.

Indeed.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qihmjgwgmmr

WTF is that all about? I've just won an Audi A3, got 30 assorted
funny cursors & the offer of a cheap i phone.

Try

http://tinypic.com/r/15heeyw/5

Kinell!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Er, no, they are not. They are actually in this country not much
bigger than a (pretty) large dog. Now horses..there the body weight
IS in line with the screen.

Indeed.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qihmjgwgmmr

WTF is that all about? I've just won an Audi A3, got 30 assorted funny
cursors & the offer of a cheap i phone.

Something's up then. I've just checked the download and it's perfectly
fine.
Whatever, try this...
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/f2a697479a.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:50:21 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Whatever, try this...
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/f2a697479a.jpg

Scientists are still working on the correct deployment of horse-ass
airbags, huh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Its the only way the really poor can travel. The authorities have tried to
stop it, but its such an accepted part of modern culture that it just gets
ignored. Many clamber on just as the train is pulling out of the station,
not while its at a standstill,. I suppose that if you've not seen it first
hand, it's not easy to comprehend

Fantastic Maxie! Did you join in and jump on? I'm sure you did. What a
man!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Fredxx" saying
something like:

Sad that it's perfectly legal to download and watch this clip, yet a similar
clip of young children running around on a beach would put you behind bars.

What a load of cock. Nowhere is it illegal to watch a vid of kids
playing, providing you aren't caught having a ham shank during it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jules
saying something like:

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 00:09:27 +0100, John Rumm wrote:
Indeed. I wonder how many people still have a copy of the insert name
of old internet text file of making stuff that goes bang at home here

One word starting with A, another with C? I recall when reading a copy of
that was almost a rite of passage for any student doing any kind of
sciences degree... funny how times change.

Main problem with the Anarchist's Cookbook was it contained a lot of
erroneous, and some downright dangerous drivel as well as *some* useful
information, but even the useful stuff wasn't all that, iyswim.

I got the impression the latter-day AC was written by a pair of fourth
formers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

Unlike
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9c1_1188968489
where they were trying to tap the overhead distribution cables.
Picture quality is poor but I found it more shocking (excuse pun!)

Well, that certainly got them off the pole.

Ouch! DGDevin Woodworking 0 September 2nd 08 01:29 AM
Ouch Robatoy Woodworking 33 May 7th 07 04:57 PM
Ouch! dustyone Woodturning 7 November 26th 06 02:23 PM
ouch! Mike in Arkansas Woodworking 5 October 22nd 06 06:49 PM