Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Ouch!

Hello,

Here's another safety reminder. Yesterday, I was sanding the inside of
a deep (5 in.) natural edge bowl. The rim was undercut, so the
irregular shape of the rim was compounded. Well, the x-rays confirmed
that I have a small fracture of the right ring finger. Please use a
sanding stick or some other device when finishing these irregularly
shaped bowls. Avoid putting your hands inside a bowl of this type. I
will now have several weeks to consider better sanding techniques for
the future.

Curt Blood

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article .com,
"dustyone" wrote:

Hello,

Here's another safety reminder. Yesterday, I was sanding the inside of
a deep (5 in.) natural edge bowl. The rim was undercut, so the
irregular shape of the rim was compounded. Well, the x-rays confirmed
that I have a small fracture of the right ring finger. Please use a
sanding stick or some other device when finishing these irregularly
shaped bowls. Avoid putting your hands inside a bowl of this type. I
will now have several weeks to consider better sanding techniques for
the future.

Curt Blood

....sorry to hear this, ouch indeed.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"dustyone" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Here's another safety reminder. Yesterday, I was sanding the inside of
a deep (5 in.) natural edge bowl. The rim was undercut, so the
irregular shape of the rim was compounded. Well, the x-rays confirmed
that I have a small fracture of the right ring finger. Please use a
sanding stick or some other device when finishing these irregularly
shaped bowls. Avoid putting your hands inside a bowl of this type. I
will now have several weeks to consider better sanding techniques for
the future.

Put a dark background behind a light-colored wood, light behind a dark.
It'll help you visualize the edges.

I prefer to sand with a supported handpiece on a flex shaft for this, and
for other reasons.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote: Put a dark background behind a light-colored wood, light
behind a dark. It'll help you visualize the edges.

I prefer to sand with a supported handpiece on a flex shaft for this, and
for other reasons.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
George is right. A natural-edge bowl usually has a wavy edge, and reaching
inside to sand inside is inviting trouble. I would be inclined to power
sand with a flex shaft, with the lathe stopped.

For visualizing the flying hazards of the edge with the lathe running, I
find a laser beam is very useful. However, I'm talking about doing this
while turning, not sanding.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

if I may slightly disagree with the esteemed Mr Leo, if you power sand with
the bowl stopped you are likely to get irregular spots - so run the lathe
slowly and power sand
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"George" wrote: Put a dark background behind a light-colored wood, light
behind a dark. It'll help you visualize the edges.

I prefer to sand with a supported handpiece on a flex shaft for this, and
for other reasons.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
George is right. A natural-edge bowl usually has a wavy edge, and
reaching inside to sand inside is inviting trouble. I would be inclined
to power sand with a flex shaft, with the lathe stopped.

For visualizing the flying hazards of the edge with the lathe running, I
find a laser beam is very useful. However, I'm talking about doing this
while turning, not sanding.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cad cad is offline

Even normal open mouthed bowls present a danger sanding by hand. After
years of no accidents, I got to ambitious sanding a bowl and moved my
fingers holding the sandpaper too close to the center of the inside
bottom surface.

It flung my index finger around in a circle in a split second and
sprained it badly. I was lucky nothing broke.

I now have plenty of sanding sticks and custom extensions to reach in
now, even if its a shallow wide mouth bowl.

cad
dustyone wrote:
Hello,

Here's another safety reminder. Yesterday, I was sanding the inside of
a deep (5 in.) natural edge bowl. The rim was undercut, so the
irregular shape of the rim was compounded. Well, the x-rays confirmed
that I have a small fracture of the right ring finger. Please use a
sanding stick or some other device when finishing these irregularly
shaped bowls. Avoid putting your hands inside a bowl of this type. I
will now have several weeks to consider better sanding techniques for
the future.

Curt Blood

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"William Noble" wrote: if I may slightly disagree with the esteemed Mr
Leo, if you power sand with
the bowl stopped you are likely to get irregular spots - so run the lathe
slowly and power sand

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For those fortunate enough to won Stubbys, or other lathes that will turn
very slowly, you are right. For those whose lathes have a bottom speed in
the hundreds of RPM, reaching in is risky. Maybe turn or rock the lathe
with one hand while power sanding with the other. It is often possible to
use the sanding disk to produce slow rotation of the workpiece. (Maybe
loosen or remove the drive belt.)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

dustyone wrote:
Hello,

Here's another safety reminder. Yesterday, I was sanding the inside of
a deep (5 in.) natural edge bowl. The rim was undercut, so the
irregular shape of the rim was compounded. Well, the x-rays confirmed
that I have a small fracture of the right ring finger. Please use a
sanding stick or some other device when finishing these irregularly
shaped bowls. Avoid putting your hands inside a bowl of this type. I
will now have several weeks to consider better sanding techniques for
the future.

Curt Blood

Curt, thanks for this. I believe in somebody or other's law: "Learn from
the mistakes of others, because you won't live long enough to make
them all yourself." Sanding by hand is exactly the kind of mistake that
I can see myself making.

In return, I will contribute my own experience: breaking fingers does
not improve with repetition; the second time you break one is not more
fun than the first.

And I've broken all the fingers I want to break.

BobMac

ouch! Mike in Arkansas Woodworking 5 October 22nd 06 06:49 PM
Ouch Phisherman Woodturning 7 April 11th 05 09:42 AM
Ouch P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº4 Woodworking 11 May 6th 04 06:16 PM
OUCH! Silvan Woodworking 18 January 15th 04 01:17 PM
ouch! jessicandle Home Repair 7 January 8th 04 05:25 PM