Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Ouch!

if I may slightly disagree with the esteemed Mr Leo, if you power sand with
the bowl stopped you are likely to get irregular spots - so run the lathe
slowly and power sand
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"George" wrote: Put a dark background behind a light-colored wood, light
behind a dark. It'll help you visualize the edges.

I prefer to sand with a supported handpiece on a flex shaft for this, and
for other reasons.
George is right. A natural-edge bowl usually has a wavy edge, and
reaching inside to sand inside is inviting trouble. I would be inclined
to power sand with a flex shaft, with the lathe stopped.

For visualizing the flying hazards of the edge with the lathe running, I
find a laser beam is very useful. However, I'm talking about doing this
while turning, not sanding.