Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cigarette smoke

I live in a Lovell-built semi-detached house, which was constructed in
2001.

A few months ago some smokers moved in next door. Since then we've
noticed the smell of smoke in the rooms that adjoin next doors house
(our kitchen, dining room and 3rd bedroom). I'm pretty sure that the
smoke isn't coming in through the windows.

Can anyone suggest where the smoke could be entering our property? In
addition is there any way I can confirm the smell we are experiencing
is indeed smoke?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Dec, 13:25, tvmo wrote:
I live in a Lovell-built semi-detached house, which was constructed in
2001.

A few months ago some smokers moved in next door. Since then we've
noticed the smell of smoke in the rooms that adjoin next doors house
(our kitchen, dining room and 3rd bedroom). I'm pretty sure that the
smoke isn't coming in through the windows.

Can anyone suggest where the smoke could be entering our
property? In

When I was doing some work and had floorboards up etc, I suddenly
realised I could smell the cooking and cigarette smoke from next door.
I noticed where the upstairs floor joists went into the party wall
there was some large gaps and old cement had fallen out etc. I fill
the gaps with expanding foam and the smell went away. There must have
been an air path through the wall !
The downstairs floor joists ran lengthways with the house, so no issue
there.
If 2001 build, I would have thought cavity party walls, but where
joists enter party walls is a likely place.
Also, fireplaces sharing chimneys - but not likely in a modern house.

addition is there any way I can confirm the smell we are
experiencing
is indeed smoke?

That's a tricky one.
Invite the neighbours round for dinner and give them a cabbage soup
starter, followed by bean casserole and home-made fig rolls, and see
if the smell changes !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Simon,

That's a good point about the joists, though I'm loathed to take the
floor up.

Not too sure about the dinner invite and the cabbage soup, but nice
try.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 05:25:20 -0800 (PST), tvmo
wrote:

I live in a Lovell-built semi-detached house, which was constructed in
2001.

A few months ago some smokers moved in next door. Since then we've
noticed the smell of smoke in the rooms that adjoin next doors house
(our kitchen, dining room and 3rd bedroom). I'm pretty sure that the
smoke isn't coming in through the windows.

Can anyone suggest where the smoke could be entering our property? In
addition is there any way I can confirm the smell we are experiencing
is indeed smoke?

Cheers

Set a smoke bomb off in your house and sit outside and see if they
notice.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tvmo wrote:
I live in a Lovell-built semi-detached house, which was constructed in
2001.

A few months ago some smokers moved in next door. Since then we've
noticed the smell of smoke in the rooms that adjoin next doors house
(our kitchen, dining room and 3rd bedroom). I'm pretty sure that the
smoke isn't coming in through the windows.

Can anyone suggest where the smoke could be entering our property? In
addition is there any way I can confirm the smell we are experiencing
is indeed smoke?

Just inhale some for a few seconds. If it is indeed passive cigarette
smoke, you should develop several life threatening diseases within minutes &
will probably die in a matter of days - according to the statistics used by
the anti-smoking lobby.

I suggest you kill your neighbours - they are the anti christ.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-07 22:58:26 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

tvmo wrote:
I live in a Lovell-built semi-detached house, which was constructed in
2001.

A few months ago some smokers moved in next door. Since then we've
noticed the smell of smoke in the rooms that adjoin next doors house
(our kitchen, dining room and 3rd bedroom). I'm pretty sure that the
smoke isn't coming in through the windows.

Can anyone suggest where the smoke could be entering our property? In
addition is there any way I can confirm the smell we are experiencing
is indeed smoke?

Just inhale some for a few seconds. If it is indeed passive cigarette
smoke, you should develop several life threatening diseases within minutes &
will probably die in a matter of days - according to the statistics used by
the anti-smoking lobby.

I suggest you kill your neighbours - they are the anti christ.

He didn't say that they were Jehovah's Witnesses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ideal CHRISTMAS gift for your neighbours Smoking cessation
products get it from
http://www.americanvistas.com/healthcare_smoking.html

smoke sorted

On 2007-12-07 22:58:26 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

tvmo wrote:
I live in a Lovell-built semi-detached house, which was constructed in
2001.

A few months ago some smokers moved in next door. Since then we've
noticed the smell of smoke in the rooms that adjoin next doors house
(our kitchen, dining room and 3rd bedroom). I'm pretty sure that the
smoke isn't coming in through the windows.

Can anyone suggest where the smoke could be entering our property? In
addition is there any way I can confirm the smell we are experiencing
is indeed smoke?

Just inhale some for a few seconds. If it is indeed passive cigarette
smoke, you should develop several life threatening diseases within minutes &
will probably die in a matter of days - according to the statistics used by
the anti-smoking lobby.

I suggest you kill your neighbours - they are the anti christ.

He didn't say that they were Jehovah's Witnesses.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 7, 10:58 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Just inhale some for a few seconds. If it is indeed passive cigarette
smoke, you should develop several life threatening diseases within minutes &
will probably die in a matter of days - according to the statistics used by
the anti-smoking lobby.

I suggest you kill your neighbours - they are the anti christ.

Excellent! I got up early today to finish a patch repair on my shed
roof before the forecast rain and was in dire need of a chuckle.
Thanks for providing it :-)
--
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Dec, 13:25, tvmo wrote:
I live in a Lovell-built semi-detached house, which was constructed in
2001.

A few months ago some smokers moved in next door. Since then we've
noticed the smell of smoke in the rooms that adjoin next doors house
(our kitchen, dining room and 3rd bedroom). I'm pretty sure that the
smoke isn't coming in through the windows.

Can anyone suggest where the smoke could be entering our property? In
addition is there any way I can confirm the smell we are experiencing
is indeed smoke?

Cheers

Dear tvmo

The most likely explanation is indeed a break in the party wall if you
are sure that the windows in both properties are not the cause.
To test this I would note the wind direction every time you experience
the problem or better still, do a record every day of the wind
strength and direction and compare this with "percieved" smell of
cigarette smoke. This presumes they are chain smokers and or that the
smell will percolate at all times which of course it will not but
statistics will mount up and you will soon know after a few months if
there is a linkage with the wind direction thus indicative of wind(ow)-
born external air currrents. Conversely if you notice it when there is
a force 8 gale outside - that would be a clear indicator of party wall
leaks. I would not exclude modern builders from just the same cock
ups as old ones - particularly after my experiences of them for the
last 6 months! they are capable of ANY thing!
To determine it is indeed cigarette smoke will require a bit of
science and money. You will need to get air sampling equipment and
collect some of the "smell" and take it to a lab with a GLC (or the
equivalent) gas liquid chromatography and that will give you both
qualative and quantatative results.
Once proven you could approach your next door neighbour and ask him/
her to mend the party wall or stop smoking! That is because they are
legally causing you a nuisance and in extremis you could call in the
council EHO. None of this is to be recommended by any sane neighbour
as the problem should be shared and solved amicably but that is the
legal default postion to the best of my knowledge.
good luck and let us know how it goes. I sympathise as I can smell the
bloody builders fags as the all crowd outside my front door and light
up when they should be working and I have to go and shut both doors to
be free of the drifting fumes.
chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 7 Dec, 13:25, tvmo wrote:
[...]

Why do we have semi detached houses?

I still feel embarrassed from when we lived in one and had some visitors
from the USA. They asked why we had two front doors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Why do we have semi detached houses?

I still feel embarrassed from when we lived in one and had some visitors
from the USA. They asked why we had two front doors.

They do have semis in the USA. They just call them duplexes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Why do we have semi detached houses?

I still feel embarrassed from when we lived in one and had some visitors
from the USA. They asked why we had two front doors.

Cost of land and cost of houses.

They are CHEAP. and actually more energy efficient.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tvmo" wrote in message
I live in a Lovell-built semi-detached house, which was constructed in
2001.

A few months ago some smokers moved in next door. Since then we've
noticed the smell of smoke in the rooms that adjoin next doors house
(our kitchen, dining room and 3rd bedroom). I'm pretty sure that the
smoke isn't coming in through the windows.

Can anyone suggest where the smoke could be entering our property? In
addition is there any way I can confirm the smell we are experiencing
is indeed smoke?

In the days before smoking was banned on airliners, it was usual to find a
pattern of smoke stains on the outside of the hull when it was stripped for
painting. A skilled eye could even use it to judge whether parts of the hull
were showing early signs of undue stress. If it can leach through solid
aluminium, I doubt a party wall in a modern house is going to provide too
much of a barrier.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The
Natural Philosopher says...
John wrote:

Why do we have semi detached houses?

I still feel embarrassed from when we lived in one and had some visitors
from the USA. They asked why we had two front doors.

Cost of land and cost of houses.

They are CHEAP. and actually more energy efficient.

We lived in a Victorian mid-terraced house years ago and
used to joke that we didn't need any heating because the
neighbours on each side kept us warm. After moving from
there to a detached property the heating bills were
something of a shock.
--
David in Normandy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the sensible replies. I can't blame the neighbours they
are really nice people and are entitled to smoke in their own home if
they wish.

The break in the partition wall, perhaps by gaps either side of the
joists is the probable answer - excellent suggestion. The smoke smell
is mainly coming from under the skirting on the adjoining wall with
the neighbours.

I've got someone from Lovell coming around this week to have a look so
I've got to get my neighbours to smoke like hell that day.

Thanks again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tvmo wrote:
Thanks for all the sensible replies. I can't blame the neighbours they
are really nice people and are entitled to smoke in their own home if
they wish.

The break in the partition wall, perhaps by gaps either side of the
joists is the probable answer - excellent suggestion. The smoke smell
is mainly coming from under the skirting on the adjoining wall with
the neighbours.

I've got someone from Lovell coming around this week to have a look so
I've got to get my neighbours to smoke like hell that day.

Thanks again.

Oh..just go round the skirting with some decorators caulk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh..just go round the skirting with some decorators caulk.

That's one solution, but it doesn't exactly solve the problem. In
addition, I block up one exit and the smoke will find another.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 20, 12:59*pm, tvmo wrote:
Oh..just go round the skirting with some decorators caulk.

That's one solution, but it doesn't exactly solve the problem. In
addition, I block up one exit and the smoke will find another.

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem, except i live in a flat... Here's the
long and boring story... I experimented with lots of different things
because the cigarette smoke was driving me nuts (and probably making
me ill) but I have gradually reduced the problem. Eventually, I ended
up just trying to pinpoint problem areas and reduce the airflow
between the downstairs properties (ie the smokers) and mine, by
blocking off (or taping off - silver duck tape is the best but it's a
bit like being in a sci-fi film with silver everywhere) any areas that
might produce draughts. The smoke was seeping through the flat door,
the old chimney/fireplace, floorboards and then into the gaps between
the walls (it is a Victorian property, so the boards have shrunk,
allowing the smoke to permeate). I draught-proofed the door with
rubber sealing strip from a DIY store, filled problem gaps between
skirting and wall with nice and cheap polyfilla (from powder) and
laminate/skirting gaps with polycell flexible/decorator's filler (or
decorator's caulk) to allow movement. It took AGES to do it but it was
worth it. Yes, you are correct that when you block one gap, the smoke
finds another, but the amount of smoke entering your property will be
reduced and after that, the best solution if you want to eradicate it
is to keep going until you have sealed everything that you can!

The only area left that I'm having trouble with is the kitchen because
I can't remove the units to seal behind those but I'm working on it. I
have spent so long agonising over this so I can really sympathise...

Go for the caulk/sealing filler - it works!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Further to my previous post, I just realised the smoke is seeping
through the invisible gaps between the boards of the laminate flooring
in my place. If anyone can give advice on what I can do about that, it
would be great. Maybe I'm hypersensitive to it but it wakens me up in
the morning... and although I didn't install the laminate, ripping it
out and replacing it isn't really an option.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
scotsgal wrote:
Further to my previous post, I just realised the smoke is seeping
through the invisible gaps between the boards of the laminate flooring
in my place. If anyone can give advice on what I can do about that, it
would be great. Maybe I'm hypersensitive to it but it wakens me up in
the morning... and although I didn't install the laminate, ripping it
out and replacing it isn't really an option.

Use a fan to pressurise the room slightly.

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Dec, 00:44, scotsgal wrote:

The smoke was seeping through the flat door,
the old chimney/fireplace, floorboards and then into the gaps between
the walls (it is a Victorian property, so the boards have shrunk,
allowing the smoke to permeate). I draught-proofed the door with
rubber sealing strip from a DIY store, filled problem gaps between
skirting and wall with nice and cheap polyfilla (from powder) and
laminate/skirting gaps with polycell flexible/decorator's filler (or
decorator's caulk) to allow movement. It took AGES to do it but it was
worth it. Yes, you are correct that when you block one gap, the smoke
finds another, but the amount of smoke entering your property will be
reduced and after that, the best solution if you want to eradicate it
is to keep going until you have sealed everything that you can!

Yes, but should you have to? An older property is bound to leak in
those places. Isn't it incumbent on your neighbours not to cause a
nuisance by filling your property up with smoke? Quiet enjoyment and
all that.

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

On Dec 24, 2:59*pm, geraldthehamster wrote:
[...]

Hi
Why not burn one of those scented candles instead of trying to
hermetically seal a room?
Or maybe just open a window, or learn to live with it -there are much
greater sources of pollution to deal with :-)
Or is the OP a troll?

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, al
wrote

or learn to live with it

Are you a smoker by any chance?

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 12:59, tvmo wrote:
Oh..just go round the skirting with some decorators caulk.

That's one solution, but it doesn't exactly solve the problem. In
addition, I block up one exit and the smoke will find another.

Yes, but you'll block the bigger holes so reducing the amount of smoke
ingress.
You could track the holes by generating a negative pressure in one
house (extractor fans on next door, assuming they'll assist, on in
your house if they won't) and going around the skirting with a thing
called a smoke pencil. In the absence of a smoke pencil, a cigarette
will do. Blower doors are increasingly being used in this manner to
achieve air-tightness compliance with Building Regs (commercial stuff
only, I think).

The unused flues are a prime suspect. The acidic compounds in smoke
residues from coal/wood fires corrodes the mortar & also bricks often
get dislodged unnoticed by peeps nailing on skirting boards. If they
have an air vent into their old flues, that may be the main route.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-24 14:59:27 +0000, geraldthehamster said:

[...]

Exactly. I think that it would be reasonable for this to be referred
to the environmental health people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-24 15:17:45 +0000, al said:

Hi
Why not burn one of those scented candles instead of trying to
hermetically seal a room?

They are even more revolting thatn cigarette smoke.

Or maybe just open a window, or learn to live with it -there are much
greater sources of pollution to deal with :-)

Very few.

There's no reason to "live with" cigarette smoke at all.

Multiple occupancy and attached dwellings should be treated as public
buildings for the purpose of smoking legislation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-24 15:17:45 +0000, al said:

Hi
Why not burn one of those scented candles instead of trying to
hermetically seal a room?

They are even more revolting thatn cigarette smoke.

Or maybe just open a window, or learn to live with it -there are much
greater sources of pollution to deal with :-)

Very few.

There's no reason to "live with" cigarette smoke at all.

Multiple occupancy and attached dwellings should be treated as public
buildings for the purpose of smoking legislation.

If you can detect it in your house next door to the evil smoking house
then I would be worried about the build quality and move straight away
before the house falls down about your ears.
Start a campaign that HIPS should contain a regulation that any smell of
cigarette smoke from an adjacent property has to be declared, then you
have the choice whether to buy or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-24 14:59:27 +0000, geraldthehamster said:

[...]

Sounds more like a modern house was not built according the regs OR
modern regs are ****e and have nothing to do with what real people
expect. In the first case you may well sue the developer.

Maybe you could use a radioactive tracer, but I have never heard of
them used in the gas phase.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-24 15:17:45 +0000, al said:

Hi
Why not burn one of those scented candles instead of trying to
hermetically seal a room?

They are even more revolting thatn cigarette smoke.

Or maybe just open a window, or learn to live with it -there are much
greater sources of pollution to deal with :-)

Very few.

There's no reason to "live with" cigarette smoke at all.

Multiple occupancy and attached dwellings should be treated as public
buildings for the purpose of smoking legislation.

If you can detect it in your house next door to the evil smoking house
then I would be worried about the build quality and move straight away
before the house falls down about your ears.

The pernicious fumes penetrate even well made structures.

Start a campaign that HIPS should contain a regulation that any smell
of cigarette smoke from an adjacent property has to be declared, then
you have the choice whether to buy or not.

I would agree with you other than I don't like government involvement
in personal business transactions and especially not HIPs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tvmo wrote:
I live in a Lovell-built semi-detached house, which was constructed in
2001.

A few months ago some smokers moved in next door. Since then we've
noticed the smell of smoke in the rooms that adjoin next doors house
(our kitchen, dining room and 3rd bedroom). I'm pretty sure that the
smoke isn't coming in through the windows.

Can anyone suggest where the smoke could be entering our property? In
addition is there any way I can confirm the smell we are experiencing
is indeed smoke?

I thought we had air leakage tests back in 2001 as part of the building
regs? If so, then you might have a claim under the NHBC 10 year
warranty. The leak could be due to shrinkage as the building dried out
since completion.

The leak probably means the party wall has settled and opened a
large-ish crack. The air is then getting past the plasterboard somehow.
If you can't see a crack in the wall then check any obvious openings
like sockets and where pipework passes through. Remove the socket and
seal the holes in the back box using mastic or tape depending on size.

Then you should take off the skirting board (and coving if you have it)
to see if there's a gap underneath. This could be easily blocked using a
combination of filler, expanding foam, draft proofing foam strip or
mastic depending on size. The leak could be completely out of sight,
i.e. in the floor or ceiling void, and then seeping into the room away
from the wall.

If you really can't find the source of the leaks (or the builder when
they honour the warranty) then you could always install a Positve Input
Ventillator (e.g. http://www.kiltox.co.uk/products/loftunit.htm) so the
leak always goes the other way....

-Antony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-24 15:17:45 +0000, al said:

Hi
Why not burn one of those scented candles instead of trying to
hermetically seal a room?

They are even more revolting thatn cigarette smoke.

Or maybe just open a window, or learn to live with it -there are much
greater sources of pollution to deal with :-)

Very few.

There's no reason to "live with" cigarette smoke at all.

Multiple occupancy and attached dwellings should be treated as
public buildings for the purpose of smoking legislation.

If you can detect it in your house next door to the evil smoking house
then I would be worried about the build quality and move straight away
before the house falls down about your ears.

The pernicious fumes penetrate even well made structures.

If they do,then so do draughts from outside, and inter residence noise.

since it bothers the OP, its their problem to fix.

Chances are the houses share common airspaces in the loft, and under the
floors and neither are sealed wrt to them at all.

Start a campaign that HIPS should contain a regulation that any smell
of cigarette smoke from an adjacent property has to be declared, then
you have the choice whether to buy or not.

I would agree with you other than I don't like government involvement in
personal business transactions and especially not HIPs.

What about your farts, and the smell of your disgusting perfume. And the
dog farts and the cat crap and the cat pee?. Not to mention the strong
sell of garlic, boiled cabbage and curry.

Perhaps they took up smoking to deaden their olfactory senses.
....;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

On Dec 24, 3:33*pm, Alan wrote:
In message
, al
wrote

or learn to live with it

Are you a smoker by any chance?

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Gave up 15 years ago (minus 4 days -ish), hate the smell of smoke -
but not as paranoid as some on here.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

On 2007-12-24 15:17:45 +0000, al said:

Hi
Why not burn one of those scented candles instead of trying to
hermetically seal a room?

They are even more revolting thatn cigarette smoke.

Or maybe just open a window, or learn to live with it -there are much
greater sources of pollution to deal with :-)

Very few.

There's no reason to "live with" cigarette smoke at all.

Multiple occupancy *and attached dwellings should be treated as public
buildings for the purpose of smoking legislation.

The amount we are talking about must be very small, surely opening a
window for 5 minutes will clear it?
Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-24 15:17:45 +0000, al said:

Hi
Why not burn one of those scented candles instead of trying to
hermetically seal a room?

They are even more revolting thatn cigarette smoke.

Or maybe just open a window, or learn to live with it -there are much
greater sources of pollution to deal with :-)

Very few.

There's no reason to "live with" cigarette smoke at all.

Multiple occupancy *and attached dwellings should be treated as public
buildings for the purpose of smoking legislation.

The amount we are talking about must be very small, surely opening a
window for 5 minutes will clear it?
Al

Even small amounts permeate the fabric of the property, get into
furnishings and generally make for an unpleasant environment.
Opening the window for 5 minutes doesn't address that because it recurs
as soon as the window is closed and somebody lights up.

Adding scents to the room doesn't help either. Those designed to
address tobacco smells simply make matters far worse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

On 2007-12-24 15:17:45 +0000, al said:

[...]

address tobacco smells simply make matters far worse. * *- Hide quoted text -

Yebut we are talking the house next door here, surely the fabric of
the building on the other side of the wall will filter most of the
particles (look at walls and ceilings of a smokers house)?
Non smokers are becoming worse than ex-smokers :-)

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-24 20:29:55 +0000, al said:

Yebut we are talking the house next door here, surely the fabric of
the building on the other side of the wall will filter most of the
particles (look at walls and ceilings of a smokers house)?

You would think so, but clearly something can get through. It may not
be a secondary smoking health hazard at these concentrations, but it's
still pretty disgusting.

Non smokers are becoming worse than ex-smokers :-)

... and never-smokers are the worst of the lot ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

On 2007-12-24 20:29:55 +0000, al said:

Yebut we are talking the house next door here, surely the fabric of
the building on the other side of the wall will filter most of the
particles (look at walls and ceilings of a smokers house)?

You would think so, but clearly something can get through. * It may not
be a secondary smoking health hazard at these concentrations, but it's
still pretty disgusting.

Years of smoking must have damaged my sense of smell.

Non smokers are becoming worse than ex-smokers :-)

.. and never-smokers are the worst of the lot ;-)

Ah -never-smokers -thats what I tried to say :-)

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-24 14:59:27 +0000, geraldthehamster said:

[...]

to the environmental health people.- Hide quoted text -

Um, I actually posted on this site to help others with the same
problem and get practical advice myself. Of course you would expect
air to move around in old buildings, but I am not trying to
'hermetically seal' it and it is recommended practice nowadays to
draught-proof your property using caulk or sealant anyway to save
energy. I get along very well with my neighbour so I don't think it's
an issue for environmental health - you can stop people smoking in
public places but people who own their own home can do as they please.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmmm. I'm a bit disappointed so I'll not visit this site again. I
posted messages to help others with the same problem and get practical
advice, not cheeky comments about candles.

Of course you would expect air to move around in old buildings and
ventilation is essential, but I am not suggesting trying to
'hermetically seal' it and it is recommended practice nowadays to
draught-proof your property using caulk or sealant anyway to save
energy.

I get along very well with my neighbours. I just don't like their cig
smoke. Wherever air goes, the smoke can go - that's your answer to how
it permeates everything, including the fabric/structure of our homes.
And if you're a child or asthmatic, the chemicals in even faint smoke
particles are more than just a nuisance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-24 15:17:45 +0000, al said:

Hi
Why not burn one of those scented candles instead of trying to
hermetically seal a room?

They are even more revolting thatn cigarette smoke.

Or maybe just open a window, or learn to live with it -there are
much greater sources of pollution to deal with :-)

Very few.

There's no reason to "live with" cigarette smoke at all.

Multiple occupancy and attached dwellings should be treated as public
buildings for the purpose of smoking legislation.

The amount we are talking about must be very small, surely opening a
window for 5 minutes will clear it?

Sorry Al, its no good trying to make a perfectly reasonable point to a rabid
anti smoker. The facts simply don't matter to them.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk