Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Cigarette smoke

wrote in message
On 7 Dec, 13:25, tvmo wrote:
I live in a Lovell-built semi-detached house, which was constructed in
2001.

A few months ago some smokers moved in next door. Since then we've
noticed the smell of smoke in the rooms that adjoin next doors house
(our kitchen, dining room and 3rd bedroom). I'm pretty sure that the
smoke isn't coming in through the windows.

Can anyone suggest where the smoke could be entering our property? In
addition is there any way I can confirm the smell we are experiencing
is indeed smoke?

Cheers

Dear tvmo

The most likely explanation is indeed a break in the party wall if you
are sure that the windows in both properties are not the cause.
To test this I would note the wind direction every time you experience
the problem or better still, do a record every day of the wind
strength and direction and compare this with "percieved" smell of
cigarette smoke. This presumes they are chain smokers and or that the
smell will percolate at all times which of course it will not but
statistics will mount up and you will soon know after a few months if
there is a linkage with the wind direction thus indicative of wind(ow)-
born external air currrents. Conversely if you notice it when there is
a force 8 gale outside - that would be a clear indicator of party wall
leaks. I would not exclude modern builders from just the same cock
ups as old ones - particularly after my experiences of them for the
last 6 months! they are capable of ANY thing!
To determine it is indeed cigarette smoke will require a bit of
science and money. You will need to get air sampling equipment and
collect some of the "smell" and take it to a lab with a GLC (or the
equivalent) gas liquid chromatography and that will give you both
qualative and quantatative results.
Once proven you could approach your next door neighbour and ask him/
her to mend the party wall or stop smoking! That is because they are
legally causing you a nuisance and in extremis you could call in the
council EHO. None of this is to be recommended by any sane neighbour
as the problem should be shared and solved amicably but that is the
legal default postion to the best of my knowledge.
good luck and let us know how it goes. I sympathise as I can smell the
bloody builders fags as the all crowd outside my front door and light
up when they should be working and I have to go and shut both doors to
be free of the drifting fumes.
chris

Why do we have semi detached houses?

I still feel embarrassed from when we lived in one and had some visitors
from the USA. They asked why we had two front doors.