Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JRS JRS is offline

Default Car Cigarette adaptor repair

Hope someone might be able to offer some advice.

I have a tomtom Ipaq cradle with wired GPS receiver that is powered from the
cigarette lighter. The plug that goes into the lighter socket in the car has
disintegrated. I have a separate HP car charger for the Ipaq (5V 2A) that I
don't use and thought I could just chop the jack off the power lead for the
cradle and attach it to the Ipaq lead. However, having chopped both jacks
off and come to join them the Ipaq lead has 3 wires (red, yellow and white)
and the cradle lead has just black and white. I thought I might just be able
to measure the resistance of each wire to determine which part of the plug
each is connected to but they all show reduced resistance. Is it possible to
do what I am attempting and if so how!

Thanks

Jon

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JRS:
More than likely the "disintegrated plug" had some electronics in it to
reduce and regulate voltage. I wouldn't screw around with home made
remedies..... get a "factory" replacement plug and cord and save yourself
some greif.
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
- - - - - - - -

"JRS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JRS JRS is offline

"Sofie" wrote in message
JRS:
More than likely the "disintegrated plug" had some electronics in it to
reduce and regulate voltage. I wouldn't screw around with home made
remedies..... get a "factory" replacement plug and cord and save yourself
some greif.
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair

No electronics in it. Just wired dirctly to the contacts but maybe thats a
clue as to the voltage to the cradle - 12v?

Maybe I shouldn't use the 5V cable

JRS