Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Repair R/C Car Reciever

Hello, I am totally new in this, but I am hoping someone here can give
me some tips.

I have a R/C car reciever (Kyosho Mini-z) which has become very poor
range recently. I have checked battery both on the transmitter and at
the car, crystal, and wiring, they all seems to be fine. The symptom
is if I have both the transmitter and the car switched on, the car will
twitch (the servo) badly, and the motor is start to running on its own
without me pressing anything.

All my electronic knowledge are only from my classes during college,
but I don't have any troubleshooting experience at all. The only test
tool I have is a multimeter, can only test resistance, diode, and AC/DC
voltage. So, I am hoping if anyone can tell me how I can go about to
find out what component has become culprit. And of course the next
question, would be where to buy replacement.

Many many many thanks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a R/C car reciever (Kyosho Mini-z) which has become very poor
range recently. I have checked battery both on the transmitter and at
the car, crystal, and wiring, they all seems to be fine. The symptom
is if I have both the transmitter and the car switched on, the car will
twitch (the servo) badly, and the motor is start to running on its own
without me pressing anything.

What happens if the transmitter is switched off?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a R/C car reciever (Kyosho Mini-z) which has become very poor
range recently. I have checked battery both on the transmitter and at
the car, crystal, and wiring, they all seems to be fine. The symptom
is if I have both the transmitter and the car switched on, the car will
twitch (the servo) badly, and the motor is start to running on its own
without me pressing anything.

What happens if the transmitter is switched off?

The car will totally stop twitching. So, I thougt it could be
transmitter that was bad, but I tried with 3 different transmitter and
still the same... Looks as if the receiver has problem treating the
incoming signal?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

What happens if the transmitter is switched off?

The car will totally stop twitching. So, I thougt it could be
transmitter that was bad, but I tried with 3 different transmitter and
still the same... Looks as if the receiver has problem treating the
incoming signal?

Looks like it is having problems round the detector / decoder areas. You
probably need more then a DMM to fix this.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

What happens if the transmitter is switched off?

The car will totally stop twitching. So, I thougt it could be
transmitter that was bad, but I tried with 3 different transmitter and
still the same... Looks as if the receiver has problem treating the
incoming signal?

Looks like it is having problems round the detector / decoder areas. You
probably need more then a DMM to fix this.

How should I go about to start troubleshooting? And what kind of test
tool I would need?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

What happens if the transmitter is switched off?

The car will totally stop twitching. So, I thougt it could be
transmitter that was bad, but I tried with 3 different transmitter and
still the same... Looks as if the receiver has problem treating the
incoming signal?

Looks like it is having problems round the detector / decoder areas. You
probably need more then a DMM to fix this.

How should I go about to start troubleshooting? And what kind of test
tool I would need?

Without a service manual, I would need an oscilloscope with an RF probe for
starters.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/18/06 6:44 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

Don Bowey wrote:
On 12/18/06 5:17 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

Homer J Simpson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

What happens if the transmitter is switched off?

The car will totally stop twitching. So, I thougt it could be
transmitter that was bad, but I tried with 3 different transmitter and
still the same... Looks as if the receiver has problem treating the
incoming signal?

Looks like it is having problems round the detector / decoder areas. You
probably need more then a DMM to fix this.

How should I go about to start troubleshooting? And what kind of test
tool I would need?

What type of receiver is it? Regen, single or dual conversion?

Don

Hi Don, I wish I can answer your question. All I know is this is a 27
Mhz AM receiver for R/C car. Do you think it will be too much for a
beginer to fix? I mean the circuit looks pretty simple, so I figured I
want to give it try.

If the receiver does NOT have a crystal, it is probably a regen receiver and
you might be able to retune it to the transmitter. If there is no crystal,
look over the receiver to see if it has small adjustable capacitors and/or
coils that have a slug inside that can be adjusted. You will need plastic
tools to make any adjustments. Let me know what you find.

If the receiver has a crystal, be sure it is seated in its holder.

If it is not a regen, then it needs tools such as a scope and signal
generator in the hands of someone who can trouble shoot without having a
schematic.

Post the name of the city where you live and maybe someone will volunteer to
help.

Don

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Where are you located?

I repair radio systems for a large hobby shop in the MidWest, just north
of St. Louis, MO.

Have been doing R/C repairs since the 1960's

Will help if I can.

Make and model of car and radio?

Hugh

Don Bowey wrote:
On 12/18/06 6:44 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

Don Bowey wrote:

On 12/18/06 5:17 PM, in article
s.com, "
wrote:

Homer J Simpson wrote:

wrote in message
legroups.com...

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 19 Dec 2006 07:40:57 -0800, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On 18 Dec 2006 14:32:50 -0800,
put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Homer J Simpson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a R/C car reciever (Kyosho Mini-z) which has become very poor
range recently. I have checked battery both on the transmitter and at
the car, crystal, and wiring, they all seems to be fine. The symptom
is if I have both the transmitter and the car switched on, the car will
twitch (the servo) badly, and the motor is start to running on its own
without me pressing anything.

What happens if the transmitter is switched off?

The car will totally stop twitching. So, I thougt it could be
transmitter that was bad, but I tried with 3 different transmitter and
still the same... Looks as if the receiver has problem treating the
incoming signal?

This makes no sense. AFAIK the transmitter should not transmit
anything until you move the joystick, otherwise its 9V (?) battery
would quickly go flat.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc, the transmitter for radio control car would start transmitting
immediately after you turned on, that's why it is a MUST for hobbist to
switch on transmitter before turning on the car.

I've repaired quite a few toy R/C cars and don't recall ever
encountering one where the transmitter would transmit continuously
without user action. In fact some remotes had no on/off switch. Maybe
your hobbyist vehicles behave differently, but it still begs the
question, what is it that the transmitter is transmitting? I can
understand it signalling forward/reverse/left/right/turbo, but why
would it signal a "do nothing" command?

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On 19 Dec 2006 07:40:57 -0800, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On 18 Dec 2006 14:32:50 -0800,
put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Homer J Simpson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

I would think the hobby grade transmitter are quite different than the
toy grade RC. With the hobby grade transmitter, they are not only with
4 signal, but are propportional. So, there are steer trim and throttle
trim noob/button so that you adjust the car's alignment or throttle at
its neutral position. So, it is also dangerous for nitro or high power
electric car to switch on the power on the car first before the
transmitter is on. I don't exactly know how things work, but I think
the transmitter should be on to keep the car in neutral position before
applying throttle or steering.

But back to my very desperate question [I have no car to play for
almost two weeks now :-( ], I have heard from other hobbyists
mentioned when they have the powered on transmitter antenna
accidentally touch the antenna would fry the car's receiver; and I have
heard they fix the receiver by replace an inductor. I guess the
inductor on the circuit board usually begin with "L"? Do you think I
can check if the inductors are blown without investing with a probe or
occiloscope by using just a DMM?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/20/06 5:55 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On 19 Dec 2006 07:40:57 -0800,
put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On 18 Dec 2006 14:32:50 -0800,
put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Homer J Simpson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Are you certain the transmitter and receiver are on the same frequency?

Car audio repair How To Kirk Frei Electronics Repair 1 April 17th 06 03:46 AM
Repair of Car CD/Radio [email protected] UK diy 2 November 25th 05 02:31 PM
DIY car CV boot repair nafuk UK diy 21 May 3rd 05 07:59 PM
Car DVD repair BOB URZ Electronics Repair 3 February 27th 05 05:01 AM
Kenwood Car stereo repair HELP!! Barry & Nikki Electronics Repair 4 November 16th 04 05:03 AM