Barry & Nikki

Default Kenwood Car stereo repair HELP!!

I was wondering if anyone has ever encountered a Kenwood D-Mask stereo that
would not retract into its stealth mode. In particular the model I am
referring to is a KRC-805. I have the service manual etc. but of course that
does not trouble shoot step by step. I changed out the motor controller IC
and still nothing. The motor itself works just fine it just wont rotate the
face when the power is turned off. Any suggestions as to what to check next?

Got2Go

Hello,
Those Kenwoods are notorious for stripping the small sprocket in the door
gear mechanism.
I had the part number somewhere, but this is most probably your issue if the
motor is turning.
Replacing it is pretty simple.
I suggest getting a few for spares.

You say the motor works just fine.
So I assume it turns like it is trying to move the faceplate mechanism.
If so, then the stripped sprocket is probably the issue.'
Its made out of plastic, and brittle plastic at that.
Not very durable.

Got2Go

"Barry & Nikki" wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone has ever encountered a Kenwood D-Mask stereo

that
would not retract into its stealth mode. In particular the model I am
referring to is a KRC-805. I have the service manual etc. but of course

that
does not trouble shoot step by step. I changed out the motor controller IC
and still nothing. The motor itself works just fine it just wont rotate

the
face when the power is turned off. Any suggestions as to what to check

next?

Barry & Nikki

Actually no the motor does nothing when power is on/off. I tested the motor
by hooking a 9V battery to it with the power off just to get the face to
turn to the viewable position so I know the motor turns and the gears are
good. For some reason the motor is not getting power from the board. The
ribbon cable that pushes into place and connects the face motor to the board
is perfect as well.

"Got2Go" wrote in message
[...]

James Sweet

"Barry & Nikki" wrote in message
Actually no the motor does nothing when power is on/off. I tested the

motor
by hooking a 9V battery to it with the power off just to get the face to
turn to the viewable position so I know the motor turns and the gears are
good. For some reason the motor is not getting power from the board. The
ribbon cable that pushes into place and connects the face motor to the

board
is perfect as well.

Is there a switch or sensor of some sort? Perhaps the unit thinks the face
is already closed.

Barry & Nikki

There is one circuit board that relays whether it is open/close based on a
couple of switches being triggered and each of those switches is AOK and
that board has no copper trace problems.