BOB URZ

Default Car DVD repair

I have had a couple of car DVD players in for repair and it seems that
many of these are un repairable.

Unit #1 was a Myron and Davis in dash unit. The LCD screen would not
come out all the way. Bevelled load gears stripped. Contacted company
and
NO service parts are available.

Unit #2 was a audiovox overhead unit that would not accept or eject the
DVD. Mech load stuff broken. Same story.

They all must be made be some unknown OEM in china. But i have
seen no parts or mechs for these from any of my aftermarket parts
suppliers. Anyone have a luck fixing these?

Bob

Jerry G.

The only way to have parts for these, is to find scrap units of the same
models. There is no manufacture structure in place to have spare parts for
these types of units. There is a cost to supporting a spare parts source.

The models and designs are changing very fast. The cost of these units when
they leave the factory is very low, and thus, they are considered
throw-always.

I personally bought a very expensive car radio with a CD player. The CD
player is having mechanical problems. The unit is now 8 years old. I was
told that there is are no parts available. During the warranty period, they
would swap out the radio for another one. During the warranty period, the
service contractor was using parts from scrappers to fix ones that were
fixable from parts of others, that were still good to use. This way, he was
cycling the radios for as long as possible. After the models changed, and
stopped coming back, he ran out of parts for the particular models.

This is why the service industry for home entertainment equipment is dying.
I am telling people that it is getting time to find other things to do for a
living, or simply retire, or find another job. Most of the service people
cannot afford to retire, and also have no experience in other fields.

In the area where I live, about 20 years ago, there were about 6 service
centres for home entertainment and appliance equipment. There are only 2
very large ones that are manufacture reps. If the device is out of warranty,
the cost of service is high (if parts can be found when out of warranty),
because the reps have to be able to pay their high operating expenses.

--

Jerry G.
======

"BOB URZ" wrote in message
I have had a couple of car DVD players in for repair and it seems that
many of these are un repairable.

Unit #1 was a Myron and Davis in dash unit. The LCD screen would not
come out all the way. Bevelled load gears stripped. Contacted company
and
NO service parts are available.

Unit #2 was a audiovox overhead unit that would not accept or eject the
DVD. Mech load stuff broken. Same story.

They all must be made be some unknown OEM in china. But i have
seen no parts or mechs for these from any of my aftermarket parts
suppliers. Anyone have a luck fixing these?

Bob

News==----
Newsgroups

Doug

The well-known manufacturers have parts and service literature
available. I've repaired Pioneer, Clarion, and Alpine units. The
cheaper ones are usually a waste of time.

The GM factory OEM units must be sent out by a GM dealer. The service
depot won't accept them form a repair shop.

Doug

They don't need experience in other fields to find a new field. Add to
the 2 year electronics degree, anatomy and physiology, chemistry,
biology, and a couple of biomedical electronics courses and there is a
ready market in the health care industry. Computer networking courses
are an added plus.

Typical $15 an hour to start plus significant on the job training,
decent healthcare benefits, and retirement. Average time to fill a
biomedical position in the US last year, 18 months. Severe shortage,
worse than nurses in most of the country. Lack of respect and pay,
unlike nurses who get all kinds of things like sign on bonuses and
retention bonuses. Much easier job than nursing however. Usually a
much more rewarding job than maintenance in a factory as well.